Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powder Coated Heeled Cast Projectiles

Those are some nice looking heeled boolits.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Mold
    Update 2022 May ...... 5 years have passed .. my digit function has reduced in my 69th year or teflon tape is not as good as it used to be I made those bullets with ease back then so the system works .. youth/good tape

New plan .. Eastwood sells high temp masking tape for painting .. the little thin strip is almost perfect for that model of projectile I used , and still have about 300 of them left ... if one wraps the tape around the base up against the first bulge from the bottom , where the case would come to rest , about half a pencil lead is not covered at the bottom of the projectile ..( when I wrapped the tape I overlapped it and left a 1/4 " fold back as a pull tab for removing the Eastwood high temp tape )

For best results go around the projectile with two sections of tape .. or two continuous wraps ... creating the fold back to aid in post baking removal ...

This info is for tumble lubers ... if one was to use the next size tape ... there would be a ridge created at the base of the projectile that would attract a build up of powder coat ..

Yes a bit OCD .. but I have always stated these units are not for plinking .. the hollow base units are for that

... have fun
    Last edited by rocor98; 06-02-2022 at 03:26 PM.

Boolit Mold
    I have no problem keeping PC off my heeled part of .310 Cadet boolits,,,by drilling out aluminum plate with appropriate drill size,,,with non stick alum foil punched with pencil so foil lines the hole. Heeled portion will sit below alum plate,,I spray with Eastwood PC gun. only non heeled portion gets coated,,whole plate goes into oven

Boolit Mold
    To hold a PC gun .. I am sadly a #5 container tumbler your setup sounds great .. no ripples , no rejected projectiles .. a powder coat king .. My limited requirements would restrict the investment , but I can see your finished product in my head .. Eastwood light blue for smokeless Eastwood bark blue for BP ..

Your resizing die would eliminate any odd buildup where the base of the projectile meets the tray ... but the gun and the ground would prevent over coating anyway .. perfect set up beats my messing with east wood tape , but what is left behind after baking on the projectile ( sticky when tape removed ) is a plus with the light crimp my tool provides ... there is a plus to every method .. and it keeps one focused

For any one reading this thread .. using east wood tape .. keep a close watch on the timer and the temp .. just a few minutes over time and that tape will be a part of the projectile .. one could attempt to remove it , but how would you do it with out lead poisoning yourself .. no I only lost a few projectiles on a test run for a mixed color .. tossed them but lesson was learned ... I go "full" tray .41lc and or .45lc 400f for 25 min ( cold oven ) . Less mass ( not full tray ) adjust time ? .... My oven was a Wall Mart $19.00 Canadian special .. I never tested it's temps with a second source .. so the secret is test test test ! Know your equipment .....

Pic of finished bullets is coasting ( re new posts) on page 21 ( 7/22 ) .. go to my post'on coated boolits by searching " rocor98 " and jump to page 21 ... few posts down on that page .. Eastwood Ford Light Blue .. cases are modified ( cut down ) for heeled projectiles .. note the uncoated lead base on each projectile ..
    Last edited by rocor98; 07-05-2022 at 03:07 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12