RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New casting production pot

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by old cobra View Post
    Magma also makes a nice pot little more expensive

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by youngmman View Post
    I have a Magma Master Pot, not Master Caster, just the pot and love it.

Well I am bias just a bit, but since I have a master caster and I really do like the way it pours I would have to give my vote to the Master Pot from Magma, In fact I will soon be ordering the base for the Master Pot so I can move my pot off the master caster when I need to cast my shotshell slugs, and after all it is only two bolts to move it from one machine to the other when I need to do different boolits or for that matter my fishing weights that are a gang mould too.

Boolit Master
    Time to resurrect this thread. I still havent replaced my LEE 4-20, lol. But Christmas is just around the corner.....

Does anyone have anything to add about their Lyman Mag25 or the RCBS Pro Melt 2?
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Buddy
    l think l remember seeing the Lyman Mag25 on sale for $219 just yesterday

I love my Lyman pot. To me its the greatest thing since the wheel. With that being said. Rcbs pots may be just as good. Some guys will prefer an RCBS while others prefer the Lyman or any other brand. Its gonna boil down to what you want to spend or what you think might work best for you.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I still use an ancient #10 lyman. Does the job and the temp is very consistent.

I might have to break down and get a pid from Hatch

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    G,day
    Have 2 Pro Melts both pushing mid thirties,I am also 73 and I am sure my son will also keep using them for many years after I fall off the perch!! The oldies are very good ,haven’t heard much about the new RCBS.I dip and bottom pour with them ,I turn the 20/1pot around and set it on a low bench shut off the pour and then dip,works a treat.

Cheers Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by sw282 View Post
    l think l remember seeing the Lyman Mag25 on sale for $219 just yesterday
    This ia a goood deal, I paid more but have had it for a while and Love it.

In Remembrance

My RCBS pot is also a `child of the `80`s` and still is going strong. I am mindful of the pot and take care of it. Robert

Boolit Master
    My Lyman Mag25 has been in service since Aug 2017 and has had zero problems.I use Idea,Lyman,RCBS,and SAECO molds including Ideal and Lyman HP molds so the mold guide works well.I've never used RCBS pots but they should work fine.I used Lee lead pots for years and was happy with them as well.Between Lyman and RCBS pots just go with the best price.They're both made in China.

Boolit Master
    Santa finally brought me a Lyman Mag 25. Havent cast with it yet because the mold guide shelf doesnt fit my MP molds or NOE molds.
    Im currently making a new mold guide shelf.
    Last edited by Lefty SRH; 01-08-2020 at 08:19 AM.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master

Yesterday, I had to remove base of my Lyman Mag 20 to clean some crud out the pour spout - was my 'bad', probably from some unfluxed range scrap that got mixed into a jar of culls and sprue. When I turned it upside down, I noticed the QC sticker, dated "9/12/10", was still in place. Almost 10 years of problem-free service with no more than routine cleaning of pot and lube of valve mechanism. My old Saeco 24 lasted almost 20 years...wonder if this Lyman will still be on my bench in 2030.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

i've been using my Mag 20 for a long time (about a year after they came out) and it has performed flawlessly. I wanted a new rcbs, but they never got here.

Boolit Master
    Heres the mold guide shelf I made for my new Lyman Mag 25

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master
    I have to ditto on the RCBS Pro Melt. Had it for years and it still does what it does better than any pot I am aware of and you can't beat RCBS on service.

I did make a couple of "Improvements". I added a SS mold shelf to take the load off when pouring. An oversized SS base place for more area to set my molds once poured; I run two molds, sometimes three, simultaneously. I changed out the down rod to a 1/2" stainless rod; the little extra weight keeps it drip free between pot cleanings a lot longer, also the stainless is easier to keep up.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been using a Lee 10 pound and a Lee 20 pound, both bottom pour for many years. Great product at an affordable price. Little drip, but not a big deal. I always wanted the original RCBS ProMelt but just wouldn’t part with the money, especially when my Lee pots work so well. To make long story short, a friend was getting out of casting and he gave me his RCBS pot. FREE. It’s a really great product. I’m getting used to a few differences, but I love it.

The RCBS has a proven record but the Lyman looks like it would be fine. I am still using my Lee 20#, with PDI, works great. If replacing it today, I would watch for a sale & get the RCBS.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty SRH View Post
    Santa finally brought me a Lyman Mag 25. Havent cast with it yet because the mold guide shelf doesnt fit my MP molds or NOE molds.
    Im currently making a new mold guide shelf.
    Just ignore the guide? I never use the one on my Lee.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    I purchased the new RCBS Easy Melt (ladle pot) and a Lyman Mag 25 around the same time, 2-3 years ago. Both the PID's went dead. Lyman was the first to go, about a year ago. I decided to take it apart (easy, they used screws) and I found a tiny fuse holder. Ten amp tubular mini fuse was blown. Replaced fuse and put back together, still working, as of earlier this week.

The RCBS Easy melt's, PID went blank, while casting this week. Had 25 pounds of alloy that solidified but was still hot. Had a propane torch handy and was able to remove all the alloy. The Easy Melt, most likely has the same electronics as their Pro Melt 2. In their manual, it clearly states the shutdown procedure, which I always followed religiously.............do not unplug pot till LED is reading <160* Fahrenheit. Lyman has no such shutdown procedure in their manual.

THe RCBS is held together with pop rivets. PITA to take apart. Might be a project for next Winter...........or not. I got a rabbi deal on that Chinese pot from Midway. Was around $60 after rebate. When, I bought it I looked at it as a throwaway.

If I were younger, I would go with the Magma pot for a bottom pour or a Waage for a ladle pot........both American made and pricey. Both will last a lifetime of casting. I'm almost 72 years old! As it stands, If I decide to replace the Easy Melt, it will be a Lee 20# Magnum Melter for @ $70 at Midway, with free shipping.

I have three working pots, currently. A older RCBS Pro Melt, the newer Lyman Mag 25 and a Lee 20# bottom pour dedicated to pure lead casting alloy. The RCBS and the Lyman both have different alloys in them. One for rifle, other for pistols.

Winelover

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast