RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 22 Lovell variations

Thanks for posting these as I did have these as a reference but on checking my files they had disappeared. This has been rectified in my files.
    Note the larger than base diameter next to rim as compared to references on the 25-20 Single Shot of .315" dia.
    It's enough to make a fellow have a toddy or two....make mine "Alberta Premium" thank you. (chuckle)
    Cheers

if anybody's still watching this thread......
    i'm given to understand that back issues of the American Rifleman are now online. Somewhere.

If so, search out the March 1941 and April 1942 issues, and find Fred Ness' Dope Bag columns.

Wherein you will find info on what the 2R Lovell fans were doing back in the day.

Those loads will curl your hair! 17 grains of 4227 with a 45 grain bullet - QL says that's 60,000 psi.!

No bloody wonder they complained about short brass life.
    Cognitive Dissident

I saved the link to the old Rifleman issues. Here it is:

https://onlinebooks.library.upenn.ed...l?id=amerrifle
    Lots of fascinating stuff in there.
    NRA Benefactor +, GOA Life, GONH Life, CRPA Life, SAF Life

Lots of work to scan all that, too.

They don't have 1942. And it looks like you need an O/S newer than XP-Pro, too. It won't open for me.

I'll try photographing the 1942 column. The print is pretty tiny, but if i can get it legible, i'll post it here.
    Last edited by uscra112; 04-06-2023 at 05:30 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

The April 1942 is one I am missing. Appreciate your efforts. It is amazing more fellows did not have issues, as likely that 17 grains of 4227 was also compressed a bit.
    Also wonder what that would actually Chrony at ??? (No, not going to try it either...haha)
    Cheers

Here's a photo of the April 1942 Dope Bag page Doesn't reproduce legibly here, so remind mr of your email address and I'll send you the raw .jpeg file.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	April 1942 Dope Bag.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	312729
    Cognitive Dissident

I just ran across a Handloader article on the Lovell by Ken Waters. Anybody need that?
    Cognitive Dissident

I finally got around to finishing up that batch of one hundred 25-20SS/22 2R Lovell cases I formed from .223/5.56mm in the video mentioned back on Page 3. This note picks up where the video left off. I use a cheap little HF chop saw that I got for making 300 BLK cases from .223, back when the 300 BLK first came out and we had to make our own cases.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-m...saw-62136.html

I have a little aluminum jig I made that clamps in the machine and has a notch to catch the rim, so each case gets cut to the same length. Feed the saw blade SLOWLY into the brass while holding the brass FIRMLY, and it works great.

Name:	Img_4062.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	315400

I cut the formed cases to 1.638 with it. Then I chamfered the neck inside and out and ran them through a FL sizing die. I did 50 as 25-20SS and 50 as 22 2R Lovell. Both sized up easily. After sizing, the length will increase to about 1.660 +-. They will be final length trimmed as the last step.

Here are a couple cases, one after chopping to 1.638" and one after FL sizing to 2R Lovell.

Name:	223-25.20SS Before_After Sizing.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	315397

The forming process also shrunk the primer flash hole a bit, so using the flash hole cleaner/uniformer tool was a bit more difficult than for normal cases. Because of the extra "bite" of the tool, I had to use a K&M neck turning holder to get more grip on the case than is usually necessary for flash hole work.
    https://kmshooting.com/product/power...-shell-holder/
    It uses Lee Auto Prime shell holders, and will grip any case very firmly. I use it with the blue Power Adapter Handle also shown on that page.

I plan to anneal the cases next, using the tool I made from this video. It is by far the best annealing tool for the money. And you can use the base tool for what it was made for - heating up stuck nuts and the like for removal.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLRgDZeYQ-M

Last step will be to run them all through the tumbler.
    Last edited by brian1; 06-28-2023 at 04:15 AM.

Boolit Master

Following. Nice cut off jig.
    Facta non verba

You tipped me over into, (finally), buying one of those little cutoff saws. Should have done it years ago. Not doing any more Lovell, but the Hornet-to-.25 Stevens project is calling.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

I too have the HF mini chop saw. I make little fixtures of various sizes to fit the case mouth. One thing I found to make cutting easier is to cut about 2/3s of the way through the case, then rotate it 180 degrees and complete the cut. Here is a short video I made.

https://youtu.be/7unEiiPN860

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone converting .223 brass to 2r Lovell willing to sell some? I purchased a Krag yesterday that the shop thought was .222 rimmed after doing a chamber cast, got it home and a .222 case wine even begin to fit, scoped it out, measured what I could and came to the conclusion it was 2R Lovell, I called the shop today to see if they still had the chamber cast which they did, had him send me measurements and confirmed, they thought. 222 Rimmed because they look almost identical and are about the same length, and they had no idea about the Lovell cartridges.
    So I am in a quandary, they made and honest mistake and the shop is an hour and a half away so its not going back, its a very nice and very old Krag conversion and I want to keep it, but the ammo is a huge problem, so I can either find a way to get cases and dies, sell it, or have it rechambered to .222, thoughts?

Sent you a P/M

Phil
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by JKH View Post
    Anyone converting .223 brass to 2r Lovell willing to sell some? I purchased a Krag yesterday that the shop thought was .222 rimmed after doing a chamber cast, got it home and a .222 case wine even begin to fit, scoped it out, measured what I could and came to the conclusion it was 2R Lovell, I called the shop today to see if they still had the chamber cast which they did, had him send me measurements and confirmed, they thought. 222 Rimmed because they look almost identical and are about the same length, and they had no idea about the Lovell cartridges.
    So I am in a quandary, they made and honest mistake and the shop is an hour and a half away so its not going back, its a very nice and very old Krag conversion and I want to keep it, but the ammo is a huge problem, so I can either find a way to get cases and dies, sell it, or have it rechambered to .222, thoughts?
    Your problem is ironic - I have a rifle that came to me as 22 R2 Lovell, but it turned out to be 222R, which put me on a scramble to find 222R brass.
    Phil's a great guy. Let me know if you need anything else, and let us know what you decided to do.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey Brian,

There is a member here that listed 10 boxes of Super brand .222 rimmed brass for sale at a great price, search for abunaitoo.

If this Krag had been .222 rimmed I would have been set for life, plus I could have shot .222 rem with ease as access to the chamber is so open in the Krag, I could have made a manual extractor quite easilly, such is life!
    Hope you can get that brass, let me know if you do.

Phil, responded to your PM via email.

Thanks

Jeff

Boolit Buddy
    I also emailed MCA Sports to see if they can make a chamber adapter for .22 Hornet.

Quote Originally Posted by JKH View Post
    Hey Brian

Phil, responded to your PM via email.

Jeff
    Hasn't shown up. Tried emailing you using the site's utility.

CH lists dies - $116 for the set if I read their website right. Don't be put off, the littlest Lovell was well known to be a tackdriver when fed correctly.

https://chtoolanddie.com/calibers/22LovR2

You can get by with only a FL die. A seater is easy to make if you have a lathe.
    Last edited by uscra112; 07-12-2023 at 01:14 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    They have some very attractive offerings, the two die set isn't much more than just a sizing die, will see how this thing shoots, then decide.

Thanks for the info!

Boolit Master

Digging through my brass stash I have 43 pieces of Lovell made from WRA 25-20SS brass. 39 of them have a sharp shoulder, 4 have a gentle shoulder. I'm not sure which variations they are. If somebody could use them, I'd take $100 plus shipping. PM an email address and I'll send a photo.
    Steve

Boolit Buddy
    Hey guys.

Still thinking on my single shot Krag 2 R Lovell. Brass is just off the charts expensive and hard to come by, sonI am considering several options.

1. Sell the rifle and buy something easier to feed.

2. Rechamber it in .222 Remington. Rim diameter is the same so bolt face will work as well as extractor, any issues with the Krag handling .222 pressures? I could probably do it with a pull through reamer, possible or not?

3. Find someone willing to make a chamber sleeve for .22 Hornet. I like this idea as it wouldn't permanently alter the rifle, and to try and preserve what few cases I have for the Lovell I am basically loading to Hornet velocities and lower pressure as is, I also have tons of Hornet brass, bullets, and dies, anyone here think they could make an insert from mild steel? It probably wouldn't need even blue lok tite to stay in place after a couple shots, and I could either make a hand extraction tool, or extend the Krag extractor more (it has already been built up with weld and reshaped for the Lovell).

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast