Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need a mold for 7.62x25 Tokarev - suggestions?

Boolit Mold
    Chrono’d the Lee 93 rn over 12.5 H110. Averaged 1760ft/sec. from my M57. The milsurp Czech stuff zipped at 1660. I took one down, it had 8.8 grains of an extruded powder over 86 grain steel hull. The S&B went through the slowest (relatively speaking) at 1550. I would really like to run that Czech stuff with magnetic hull against level 3 b.a.

Boolit Mold
    44Blam - That 31-085HG is a neat looking boolit. Tom has it listed as .314. I could never get that into the star line brass as the neck is only .306. What brass are you using if I might ask?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by spqr View Post
    44Blam - That 31-085HG is a neat looking boolit. Tom has it listed as .314. I could never get that into the star line brass as the neck is only .306. What brass are you using if I might ask?

May I ask if you are mouth expanding your brass before bullet seating? It sounds like you are not, which is a recipe for failure. I use Starline brass in my 7.62x25s. I also expand and bell the mouths using a short .32 ACP expander plug, so bullets seat well without lead shaving. The seater die removes the mouth flare.

Attachment 252704
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Mold
    Outpost75- Yes I open the brass up to accommodate the .309. As I said the Starline brass is coming in at .306. That being said, I have to size down the Lee from .311. When I left it that large it would not chamber in the M57 unless I sank the boolit down to well below 1.30. The Lee round nose is different shape from the factory rounds, and will not chamber as is. I am happy with the combination results, I just would rather not size these down as far as Im forced to. The Milsurp hardball is all .306, as is the S&B. Makes more sense to me to just cast at .305 or .306. The S&B duplicated the milsurp shape and design, so I am going to try to do the same. I powder coat, so I was never thrilled with the lube rings.
    BTW iReally like your boolit design. Is that a truncated Lee?
    Last edited by spqr; 12-10-2019 at 05:55 PM.

My bullet is Accurate 31-100T. Also be aware that bore and groove dimensions of the TT pistols vary greatly. While I've never seen one with a groove diameter smaller than .307" I've measured several which were .312-.313" and an undersized cast bullet is not going to shoot well. My 1953 Polish pistol is .2995x.3105 bore/groove and .311 bullets shoot very well.

Attachment 252718Attachment 252719
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    May I ask if you are mouth expanding your brass before bullet seating? It sounds like you are not, which is a recipe for failure. I use Starline brass in my 7.62x25s. I also expand and bell the mouths using a short .32 ACP expander plug, so bullets seat well without lead shaving. The seater die removes the mouth flare.

Attachment 252704
    I've got a lot of startline brass, but I have other cases too... I expand the mouth and am sizing to .309". I've got a brand new barrel and it slugged at just bigger than .308".
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tokarev_85.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	252829
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Mold
    44, thanks for the updated info. I have not cast any plumbers lead up to slug my barrel. Maybe this weekend. For now I tried to load some 311 and I was unsuccessful in chambering about half of them. And educated guess would be 308 or 309. There has to be a valid reason why the eastern European armorers made their bullets 306 as well as the S&B folks.

44, thanks for the updated info. I have not cast any plumbers lead up to slug my barrel. Maybe this weekend. For now I tried to load some 311 and I was unsuccessful in chambering about half of them. And educated guess would be 308 or 309. There has to be a valid reason why the eastern European armorers made their bullets 306 as well as the S&B folks.
    The Euro jacketed bullets are undersized to reduce peak chamber pressure when they load them up to 1700 fps.

But undersized cast bullets will be inaccurate and lead your barrel.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

One thing I do when loading for that gun:
    I plunk EACH cartridge into my old barrel that I have to make sure that it will chamber. I have a LEE die set and have a crimp die. If it doesn't plunk, I crimp it a little more until it does.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Mold
    Thanks again for the great info. I just threw together a hundred Plinkers for the range tomorrow. If 1700ft/sec is plinking. I’ve found powdercoating cast rounds is very easy and eliminates leading problems. I get the undersized risk of blow by, but soft lead and powder coat has always worked for that in my rounds. I load some straight wall rifle rounds with cast/powder coat, and don’t even consider gas checks under 2000ft/sec. And the bottlenecks I’ve chrono’d hit 2700 with powder coat and gas check, no barrel problems. PowderCoat Store brass candy color, doesn’t need silver base coating if lead is clean.

I use this stuff to find out what my chamber/barrel look like:
    https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...y-prod384.aspx
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Mold

Old thread new pics

Thought I would update this as it showed up on my old board. Had a custom mold built. Arsenal 308-85 spitzer. I powder coat this and drive it upwards to 1600 ft./s. Great range round
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E668EABB-C64A-402D-8AAA-12267AF8E279.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Quote Originally Posted by KVO View Post
    I use the RCBS 98gr SWC in the similar, but much lower pressure .30 Luger (1930's commercial Luger). If feeds and functions well, but has to be seated deep with the base of the projectile below the neck/shoulder junction. Just thought I'd throw that out there as you'd likely have better luck getting samples of the RCBS boolit to try before forking out for a custom mold. Of course, you're not ever going to be happier than if you get an Accurate!
    Err what???
    The 7,63 Mauser is rated at 2600bar~37710psi, The 7,62x25 Tokarev is rated at 2400bar~34800psi and the 7,65 Parabellum is rated at 2350bar~34100psi. So less that 10% difference from the Mauser and next to nothing in regards of the Tokarev.

All pressure data from Quickload.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12