Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingPBcastcoLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: " $ $ Lube - Size on a Budget $ $"

Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    Btwiceborn;
    It works just as well with pistol bullets as it does with rifle bullets.

If your bullets are sized correctly when they fall from the mould, then just use them that way. It is actually a superior method than sizing. Most of the precision Schuetzen riflemen use "as cast" bullets and they shoot groups at 200 yards that will amaze you (and with plain base bullets and single shot rifles). I'm talking of ten shot groups under 1"...

Dale53
    Dale53,
    WOW. That sort of accuracy is awesome!! Sounds like i better hurry up and finish my heavy barrelled, single shot, .308 Omark44 project. At present i cast the RCBS 180FP (#82014) which shoots great out of my M98 Mauser. The mould drops .310 so i shoot em as cast. I get about half an inch at 50yds with them seated 10 thou off the lands. I love this mould and think it will shoot even better in my Omark once finished. I find it interesting that you say its more superior to shoot em as cast? I can understand the say .310 may be better than .309, but i thought by sizing them it would make them more round/concentric? But who cares if you can get 10 shot 1/2 MOA accuracy!!! Any thoughts??
    Thanks BB03
    THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HIT THE CENTRE OF THE TARGET IS WITH A CENTREFIRE!!!

Boolit Grand Master

bullbarrel033;
    A bullet will NEVER be more perfect than when it falls from the mould. We size bullets to make them fit the particular weapon we are using. Commercial moulds have to be made to fit all models of guns of that particular caliber as much as possible. The only way to do that is to cast them oversize, then size them. However, sizing can only damage a bullet (understand it is NECESSARY to size the bullet as "fit is everything").

Schuetzen shooters use custom moulds made to cast a bullet to a specific size within .001" with a specific lead bullet alloy. Changing alloys changes the size of the bullet as cast. So, first you have to know the exact size that you need. Then you need to know EXACTLY what alloy you will be using. Then, the custom bullet mould maker can deliver. THOSE "as cast" bullets then must be cast as nearly perfect as humanly possible. When everything is done right, then loaded in a GREAT rifle, with a GREAT shooter, then you get this:

This target was shot by Jim Borton. He has since done better in competition. The group size (10 shots at 200 yards benchrest) is .707". Jim has shot a number of perfect scores at 200 yards in competition at the ASSRA Nationals.

Dale53

Awesome!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    bullbarrel033;
    A bullet will NEVER be more perfect than when it falls from the mould. We size bullets to make them fit the particular weapon we are using. Commercial moulds have to be made to fit all models of guns of that particular caliber as much as possible. The only way to do that is to cast them oversize, then size them. However, sizing can only damage a bullet (understand it is NECESSARY to size the bullet as "fit is everything").

Schuetzen shooters use custom moulds made to cast a bullet to a specific size within .001" with a specific lead bullet alloy. Changing alloys changes the size of the bullet as cast. So, first you have to know the exact size that you need. Then you need to know EXACTLY what alloy you will be using. Then, the custom bullet mould maker can deliver. THOSE "as cast" bullets then must be cast as nearly perfect as humanly possible. When everything is done right, then loaded in a GREAT rifle, with a GREAT shooter, then you get this:

This target was shot by Jim Borton. He has since done better in competition. The group size (10 shots at 200 yards benchrest) is .707". Jim has shot a number of perfect scores at 200 yards in competition at the ASSRA Nationals.

Dale53
    Thanks Dale53!
    Thats Amazing! I assume that you slug your barrels to obtain an ideal size to size to? I am a bit rusty on the process, but its one thing i want to learn!!
    As you say fit is everything!
    Thanks again Dale!!!!
    THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HIT THE CENTRE OF THE TARGET IS WITH A CENTREFIRE!!!

Boolit Man
    Thanks ben for a great low buget way to lube but don't you have to lube the bullet before you size it, I'm new to this casting thing so any insight on sizing and lubing will be greatly appreciated thanks, Terry

Boolit Grand Master
    Tag :

That's a good question. I failed to mention that I usually take a " dab " of wheel bearing grease and keep it handy when pushing cast bullets through sizing dies.

Simply wipe a thin film on " every other one " and push them through the sizer.
    If your bullets are .003 " or more larger than the sizing die, you may need to lube every bullet ? ? ? It is much quicker than it sounds like it is.

Works for me , real well.

Thanks,

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 04-07-2011 at 10:15 AM.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    This has been one great posting with pictures to match. Accolades to all those who added to it. I first started using a Lee Pan Lube Kit in 1970 and before that year was up I bought my first Star. I still use a Star for all my cowboy rounds. I do however enjoy the pure form of pan lubing and do so with all my large 45-70 bullets. Buckshot makes very nice Kate Cutters for about $20 or so and makes it easy for these hands to make good bullets. Again My fellow casters A JOB WELL DONE!!
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Mold

Pan Lubing

I found that a 3 quart crock pot works good for hold and melting lube.

Boolit Mold
    Simply outstanding explanation.

Boolit Grand Master
    TornMonkey

Thank you....I hope you found it beneficial.
    If you've never tried it, please do try it.

Best to you ,

Ben

Boolit Bub
    I enjoyed reading your post. I have used Lee Boolit sizers for years. I have not found it neccessary to use a lubasizer. I have both the original Lee Boolit sizers and the current sizers. I once used a friend's lubasizer but I found that the simple Lee Boolit sizers were more concentric when sizing the boolits. The only lubasizer that matched the concentricity was the expensive Star lubasizer.

Boolit Grand Master
    BWelch47 :

Based on my own experiences, I find that very easy to believe.

Ben

Boolit Bub
    I used to just hold the bullet in one hand, and a stick of hard graphite Lyman lube in the other hand, and go around the bullet, mashing the lip of the lube into the lube groove in the bullet, then ran the bullets thru a Lyman 310 tool die, using a mallet. circa 1969, I was 17

New on here..Great Post!! Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master
    Welcome ! !

Ben

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    I have never been able to push bullets out of the lube cake no matter how hard I try.

The cookie cutter approach is fine, however I consistently have issues with the gas checks falling off and staying in the lube.

I do this for some PB muzzleloader bullets and black powder loads now, but otherwise not so much.

Still a well presented article, do what works for you.

Boolit Master
    Here I figured I would add my 2 bits. 1st I am going to make that cutter with the nail. I use a 30-30 case but I drilled it out and use a dowel rod.
    Your way is better.

Here is how I tackled the lube melt.
    Keep an eye out for these toaster oven at the Goodwill ect. Got this one for One whole whopping dollar. And it works better than any thing else I have tried. Heating the bullet along with the lube seems to help it stick in the groove better. I had a issue just pouring melted lube onto cold bullets.
    This works better.

Next: Why does LEE not sell a .310 sizer????? Stupid thats the one main size you want.
    Can some one post a how to for reaming them out to .310?

maybe im just braingasing but what would a person use as a cake cutter for a .224 boolit?
    i would think a propperly sized old rabbit ears radio or tv antena would make a great multi boolit cutter tube

I bought an induction stove about 1 1/2 years ago and with that no need for a double boiler. Not only does it boil water faster than a gas or electric is also has so low of heat range that it makes the double boiler method obsolete. Now the only draw back is you pots/pans much allow a magnet to stick to it other wise they don't work. Oh and my other hobby is cooking.

Boolit Grand Master
    Littlewolf :

You'd use a FIRED , .22 center fire cartridge case. It should easily fit over a sized .224 or .225 " dia. bullet.

Thanks for the information

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast