MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionPBcastcoLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: " $ $ Lube - Size on a Budget $ $"

Boolit Grand Master

Suo Gan;
    Now, how did THAT happen (said with a RED face!!).

It is now "fixed" and reads as it should.

Dale53

Moderator Emeritus

May I post both articles on Castpics ?
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Grand Master
    Wiljen:

For my portion of this.........Certainly , you can !

grages :

I use a slotted wooden dowel with a slow speed cordless drill. I put a piece of 320 grit Auto grade sandpaper in the slotted dowel and turn slowly. When I get close to the dia. that I want ( stop often and check your progress ) , I change over to 600 grit to finish the interior with a glass smooth surface.

Works for me ! !

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 08-19-2014 at 10:05 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Wiljen;
    Of course.

Dale53

Boolit Buddy

A TERRIFIC STORY TOLD IN A WAY EVERYONE CAN UNDERSTAND. THANKS BEN, AND DALE, IT WAS VERY KIND OF YOU BOTH TO EXPLAIN AN OLD AND CRAFTY WAY TO LUBE BOOLITS. THIS WAS THE WAY SHOOTERS LUBED WHEN BOOLITS FIRST CAME TO BE, OTHER THAN JUST RUBING LUBE ON BOOLITS BY HAND. THIS STORY WAS SO GREAT I MIGHT EVEN TRY IT.(been casting boolits well over 50 years and always used a luber/sizer) MANY THANKS AGAIN. BIG MAC

Moderator Emeritus

Thank you Gents - I will pull both for the Member Articles Section.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Wiljen:

For my portion of this.........Certainly , you can !

grages :

I use a slotted wooden dowel with a slow speed cordless drill. I put a piece of 320 grit Auto grade sandpaper in the slotted dowel and turn slowly. When I get close to the dia. that I want ( stop often and check your progress ) , I change over to 600 grit to finish the interior with a glass smooth surface.

Works for me ! !

Ben

Ben
    Thanks for the added info Ben. Very good to know.

Shawn

Boolit Bub
    Great stuff.I use a similar method for my .45-70's.

Seein how I can't swing a lubesizer at this point. Looks like this will be my method.
    Thanks for all the tips.

Good job to both of you, I have never pan lubed but after this I think I could, thanks again

In Remembrance
    "The lube is melted in the metal pan and the bullets that have already been sized to .310 are placed in the pan of liquid lube :"

You size them before you lube them?
    I thought the process was you lube them and THEN size them.

Are your captions in the wrong place?
    "Here is the finished product ready to load and shoot :"
    "Here is what the bullets look like when they are removed from the cooled , solidified bullet lube with the " Kake Cutter "
    Shouldn't they be rearranged?

But I like it, the hot plate is a great idea. I can do it out on the patio.
    I'll be doing this soon.
    Last edited by Rio Grande; 12-17-2009 at 10:47 PM.

I have 3 different lubri-sizers. I have a friend that is beginning to take a real interest in cast bullets for his 03' Springfield.

Unfortunately he wasn't in the position to order a $114 Lyman lubri-sizer from Midway. So I introduced him to the " old way " of doing things.

I use a lot of .30 cal. cast bullets that are sized .310 dia. Unfortunately Lee doesn't offer a .310 " Push Thru " sizing die for .30 cal. cast rifle bullets. So I ordered a .309 and opened it up to .310.

Bought a hot plate for $10, my wife was about to throw away a metal pan , so I grabbed that and said.." Hey, I need that ."

The Sizing die was $12.29 from Midway :

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=501819

For someone on a limited budget , this is still a very effective way to size and lube .30 cal. cast rifle bullets. Assuming you already have a .30 cal. mold, some bullet lube, and some gas checks, this equipment cost the sum total of $23.00.

Mis-alignment of the nose punch and the sizing die has ruined many hundreds of groups for me until I really began to understand what a concentric bullet was. In my opinion , the nose 1st system of bullet sizing is " THE WAY " to size bullets concentrically .

Photos below.....

You'll need a 30 / 30 empty cartridge case that is a snug fit over your .310 bullet. Take a 16 penny nail and turn the head of the nail to about .295 dia. I then cut a piece of wood dowel and make me a " push rod " to eject the lubed bullet from the solidified lube. Drill out the flash hole in the 30 / 30 cartridge case so that the 16 penny nail will slide freely through the hole.

The business end of the home made Kake cutter :

The $10 Elect. Hot Plate

The lube is melted in the metal pan and the bullets that have already been sized to .310 are placed in the pan of liquid lube :

Here is the finished product ready to load and shoot :

Here is what the bullets look like when they are removed from the cooled , solidified bullet lube with the " Kake Cutter " :

Next question is , will they shoot ? ?

I have a Custom Hvy. Barrel , A & B, F-54 contour , stainless fluted , VZ 24 Mauser bench rifle chambered in .308 Win. that really likes the Lee 155 gr. , CE Harris bullet sized .310 , with 17.5 grs. of 2400 and a Fed 210 primer. The bullet is seated into the lands so that light engraving occurs upon chambering . This group was fired at 50 yards with the bullets that you see , 5 shots with a .22 rim fire case for size comparison purposes :

Hi ben, gr8 budget bullet lube post! Think i will give it a try, I also do not have money tree in the back yard!

Boolit Grand Master
    Rio Grande

I size 1st., then melt the lube, then I place the sized bullets in the molten lube , wait on them to solidify, then take the " kake cutter " and removed the bullets from the lube.

Ben

Hi all!

Gr8 stuff Ben and Dale53!
    Would castor oil/beeswax say 30/70 mix work for lubing subsonic (<1100fps) bullets in my .308 Mauser? I was thinking castor oil would have excellent lubricity, not sure how it would mix???
    Or would Lee liquid Alox be a better replacment for the castor oil? (same mix ratio)
    Havnt tried the pan lube yet, still collecting pans etc.. to do so.

Boolit Grand Master
    The castor oil might work just fine.

If you've got some Beeswax , try this simple mixture that has worked GREAT for me in the past :

Mix your beeswax with Lucas " red & tacky " # 2 grease. A tube of it at your local auto parts store will cost you about $5.00. Mixing with beeswax, your $5 investment will go a LONG way !

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...id=14&loc=show

You may have to experiment to get the correct mixture so that your bullets can be easily removed from the cooled and solidified lube when pan lubing.

I'd start with about 70% beeswax and 30 % red Lucas grease. If the cooled mixture is too hard, reheat and add a little bit more red grease,( 65/35 , so on....so on...., so on...) until you get the consistency that you're looking for.

For any shooting of cast bullets below 1,600 fps ( and possibly higher ?), this combination will work just fine.

Many people complain that when pan lubing, that their lube won't stay in the bullet lube grooves. This lube WILL ! !

Thanks,
    Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 01-21-2010 at 10:12 AM.

The castor oil might work just fine.

If you've got some Beeswax , try this simple mixture that has worked GREAT for me in the past :

Mix your beeswax with Lucas " red & tacky " # 2 grease. A tube of it at your local auto parts store will cost you about $5.00. Mixing with beeswax, your $5 investment will go a LONG way !

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...id=14&loc=show

You may have to experiment to get the correct mixture so that your bullets can be easily removed from the cooled and solidified lube when pan lubing.

I'd start with about 70% beeswax and 30 % red Lucas grease. If the cooled mixture is too hard, reheat and add a little bit more red grease,( 65/35 , so on....so on...., so on...) until you get the consistency that you're looking for.

For any shooting of cast bullets below 1,600 fps ( and possibly higher ?), this combination will work just fine.

Many people complain that when pan lubing, that their lube won't stay in the bullet lube grooves. This lube WILL ! !

Thanks,
    Ben
    Thanks Ben!!

I am Down Under Oz, here we have what is maybe your equivalent grease which is made by company called Mobil. It is a high temperature grease which is also very tacky! Its blue in colour, think i will give it a try. Thanks again! Any tips on a lead mixture??
    THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HIT THE CENTRE OF THE TARGET IS WITH A CENTREFIRE!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    I use a lot of straight AC WW's. I'll often times add a " touch " of tin to get a mold to fill out well.

Works for me.

Ben

Boolit Master
    Thought I'd pass this tip that I got on this forum -- a golf club shank is tapered. Use a tubing cutter to cut it exactly where it will just fit over your boolits, and you can cut them out of the wax, ready for the sizer. In fact, if you leave it long, you can stack up a bunch of them in the shank before having to empty it.

Boolit Mold
    As another newbie luber, i assume that doing this will work the same on pistol bullets just the same? any reason to ''have'' to size first if the mold drops correctly sized bullets to start with?

Boolit Grand Master

Btwiceborn;
    It works just as well with pistol bullets as it does with rifle bullets.

If your bullets are sized correctly when they fall from the mould, then just use them that way. It is actually a superior method than sizing. Most of the precision Schuetzen riflemen use "as cast" bullets and they shoot groups at 200 yards that will amaze you (and with plain base bullets and single shot rifles). I'm talking of ten shot groups under 1"...

Dale53

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast