Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Sheath Liners

Sheath Liners

What are some good sheath liner materials; and how are they formed, inserted, and attached?

I've a skinner, that needs to be paired with a smaller knife for some field dressing cuts, which has room in its sheath for my smallest knife from the same maker. I need though to add a liner to keep the little ones tip from damaging the sheath or skinner.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

I have been working with Kydex, both for sheath's and liners.

Bought mine as 12 x 12 sheet in 2 different thickness's.

Also bought double cap rivets and gromits for holding it together.

Lot of stuff on youtube.

Essentially heat it up, mold it around what it is going to fit. The video's I watch the guy used just a folded towel as a pad, and another on top.
    I really like this Capps guy, kinda down to earth. I like the way his head thinks and the way he works things out.

Boolit Master

Thanks for that Ghosthawk. Crafty!

Thanks, Ghosthawk. Good tip and vid.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master
    Kydex should be fine, as the design shouldn't let the sharpest of edges rub on it. It takes only the smallest of grit particles to scratch a mirror finished blade, as they will embed but not sink out of reach, and kydex does look like the plastic it is.

The traditional material for lining sword scabbards was wool, which doesn't absorb atmospheric moisture like most vegetable fibres, and will wipe oil on a non-stainless blade. Felt would do, but baize, for billiard or pool tables, is based on woven fibre, and stronger. I had to buy a metre in royal blue for my .32 rimfire Webley case, and have some trouble keeping my wife away from it.
    Last edited by Ballistics in Scotland; 08-04-2017 at 01:21 PM.

Boolit Master

Formed rawhide works for me as a traditionalist inside of leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Formed rawhide works for me as a traditionalist inside of leather.
    I feel the tradition, but it's lost on these two knives and sheath. They're just very utilitarian Martiini knives with rubber handles and a synthetic sheath of some kind of multi-layer sandwich. Darned practical. Darned useful. Not a hint of tradition.

~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master
    after accident years ago where a sheath knife cut its way out of leather sheath and into my leg...I went to folders for years till I saw neat wee idea and have used it ever since...take a piece of conduit pipe...like what the electrician used to run cables outside your house..a piece about 1" in diameter works well. heat it up,I use lpg torch gently...and flatten it down till edges meet then slide knife inside and let it cool down...a bit of trial and error and you will get a snug fit that you can slide blade into easily...simple cut this flat tube off slightly longer than your blade and put it INSIDE your fancy leather sheath...knife still looks the same in sheath but now there is NO WAY it can cut its way out, or cut you. takes a wee bit of a fiddle to slip knife back into sheath but its worth it for piece of mind...