Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best way to ship brass?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HumptyDumpty View Post
    How about primed cases? My understanding, is that they must be sent ground, via a contract carrier (not USPS), but do not require hazmat or ORMD/Limted Quantity labels. Does that check with your experience?
    Yes, I've always understood that they get treated the same way as live ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by LeadHead72 View Post
    At first this sounds like a good idea. However, I know of someone who did that and the PO ended up charging them double the postage. The package received damage and both labels ended up being scanned by the USPS system and they treated it as though they were trying to send two separate packages under one tracking number. It's better to double-bag the items if necessary, reinforce the edges and corners of the package and make sure it's insured. If it's damaged or lost, file a claim. I have shipped and received hundreds of packages over the last few years and have had several claims. The USPS has come through on all of them except for one. The last time was just a few weeks ago and they paid the claim, no questions asked, within a week to 10 days of filing it online. Just be sure to include pictures of the damaged package, damaged goods, and screenshots of online prices for a similar replacement product.
    I'm talking about hand-written labels, the old school kind, not printed labels with bar codes.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    For small flat rate boxes, I like the clear tape to completely enclose the box. For medium flat rate boxes, I have a roll of plastic and use a double layer inside the box to fold over. It is best to add cardboard or foam to make a tight hard box for shipping to avoid crush damage. Then wrap the entire box with clear shipping tape, and a few wraps of fiber reinforced tape if brass or lead is being shipped.

Is anyone else having trouble finding the large rolls of this tape in their local stores?
    Right now everybody is but that's the way I've shipped a lot of brass. USPS guy and I have an agreement. I get him a cup of Joe and the item being picked up. If the customer gets a disaster we can both say it didn't get picked up that way.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by LeadHead72 View Post
    Yes, I've always understood that they get treated the same way as live ammo.
    Primed cases are considered live ammo by USPS

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    I'm talking about hand-written labels, the old school kind, not printed labels with bar codes.
    I always use a hand written address label

I have received several flat rate boxes full of brass as well, the box comes beat to death, but the brass inside has always been just fine.

I've been selling centerfire brass here for months, if not years, and NEVER had a problem. I print my own Priority Mail labels using the USPS website, use Regional A boxes, and most importantly, DOUBLE LINE (4 sides, top and bottom) all six sides with USPS cardboard which is pretty strong.
    These packages weigh 11 - 14 pounds.

Boolit Master

When I was selling the first run of Star-Line .41spl brass I shipped nearly all of it USPSFRB as Dixie had the deal with the postal service. a little shipping tape and presto........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

I've just shipped brass to someone for the first time. One thing that I've done to significantly reduce the amount of rattling in the box was to layer cheap paper napkins into a quart sized sandwich bag as I was filling it up with brass. it gives the brass something to be more quietly cushioned onto and reduces the noise it makes a great deal, especially when combined with wrapping the sandwich bags tightly together. Makes them almost silent, although it does involve bulking up the order a bit with all of the napkins.

Boolit Grand Master

I've sold some brass lately and I use the flat rate boxes. I stay with the small and medium sizes. When using the small size I'll bag up the brass in something, usually a heavy duty ZipLoc bag, and use lots of tape. When using the medium I'll cut up enough cardboard pieces to line the box and still bag the brass up and still use lots of tape.

Tape!

I tape my boxes really good with strapping tape, and usually try to either line the inside with extra cardboard, or just put a smaller box inside. Basically try to armor the pkg as much as I can, make the box smashers work for it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201212_165616-2304x1092.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	274223  

Boolit Bub
    I've been selling a lot of cases. I have used USPS Medium and Large boxes. I can get 2500 5.56mm cases in a large USPS box and is about 36 pounds. I've been able to put 5,000 9mm cases in a large USPS box, which is 45 pounds. The USPS has Box 4, which is exactly 0.2 cubic feet size and I can ship it using USPS cubic rates, which many times is cheaper. I can get 1000 cases of 5.56mm in Box 4 if I shake it to get the cases to align, but it is very tight.

For packaging, I've added more and more tape. What I have found is that taping every edge is necessary. So, not only do you seal the box closed, but you end up running tape along all 12 edges -- four edges on the top, four edges on the bottom and each side edge.

Once I started doing that, things worked much better.

Banned
    Doubling up the boxes is a must USPS brutalizes heavier boxes: Tape the bottom, and ALL corners (except the top) of both boxes.
    use a hard object (light hammer/screwdriver handle/---) to round offer the bottom outside corners of the inside box and slide the inside box into the outside box
    To help the top close flat, fold the flaps of the outside box back and lightly score the inside box, slice down the corners of the inside box to the level of the outside box (where you scored around the inside box) then fold the modified flaps of the inside box in.

free shipped to your house https://store.usps.com/store/results...No=18&Nrpp=18&

put the brass in Tyvek envelopes (loose brass can/will escape the box IF a hole is punched in it the envelopes will contain the brass even if the box is damaged.
    -- free here https://store.usps.com/store/product...e-ep14-P_EP_14

I wouldn't normally abuse the use of free supplies BUT this is necessary due to the way USPS brutalizes the packages

*** make sure ALL corners and joints are well taped.***

for smaller quantities of brass, I double up the priority-mail-padded-flat-rate-envelope (up to 1,000 pcs 40 S&W)
    also free here -- https://store.usps.com/store/product...elope-P_EP14PE

shipping costs can be up to a couple of $$ less IF you buy and print pre-paid shipping labels which can be purchased at several sites online,
    I use Pay-Pal ----- https://www.paypal.com/signin?return...Fcreatebulk%2F

As to Reinforced Packing Tape, what is the best type to use and where's the best place to order, price-wise? I've got about 25K pieces of range brass that I need to sell/ship.

Boolit Master

I've never shipped brass but have received a lot. The best packaging is in Flat Rate boxes with filament reinforced tape in two directions and regular packing tape on the corners. Usually with those plastic grocery bags doubled holding the brass.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    I've shipped brass and lead in USPS small and medium FRB's, and brass in USPS LFRB's.

Tyvek is practically indestructible, yes, but the envelope shape doesn't allow maximal filling of the box (about 3K 9x19 for the MFRB, 5K for the large), so I use doubled plastic garbage or shopping bags for the brass and 2" clear tape in multiple strips on all sides of the single box.

Lead (ingots or isotope containers) usually goes into plywood boxes sized to fit into MFRB's, packed tight to prevent shifting, closed with 1" staples and wrapped on all sides with shipping straps. The outer box usually gets 2" filament tape all around and/or a complete covering of clear tape.

Shipping address inside the box as well as outside. So far no reported losses, though a couple folks over the years have reported receiving pretty beat up packages.

Boolit Bub
    When I ship bagged brass I will put it in a bag and use my endless roll of Sam's Club saran wrap to compress that bag until it doesn't rattle anymore. They always come out looking like a package found at your local drug bust. I don't like my packages to scuff and rattle to let everyone know there's cool stuff inside.
    Before this, I used to put the brass in two bags then use packing tape to compress the outer bag. Then write that there is a bag in the taped bag so the recipient could carefully cut the outer bag without spilling brass everywhere.
    Then use the same packaging tactics as you would any other package.

Boolit Mold
    i use the med flat rate boxes. my Post office will not take a box that is completely covered in tape. so i use the brown reinforced water activated tape on the inside of the box. Paying close attention to all of the corners, including the top and bottom where you close the box. do this before you make the box. then brass in a garbage bag. i only do full boxes so there is not much jiggle in the box. seal it with the fiberglass packing tape on the edges and then a wrap in the middle of both sides. have shipped 30 to 60 lbs all over and did not leave a trail of breadcrumbs. i think they could have played socker with it and it would not bust. i know it night be over kill, but it works.

USPS padded flat rate envelope well reinforced with packing tape - shipped thousands of cases this way over the years + never even one problem -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master

I agree with many of the comments, suggestions, here. Personally, I have use 2 postal SFRB's full of brass; taped together so they fit INSIDE a postal Flat Rate Tyvek envelope.

I actually got this idea from one of the postal employee's working the counter at the post office. He said, "tape them together so it appears to be one flat box of "parts".

All my packages shipped without issues.

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast