Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best way to ship brass?

Best way to ship brass?

What is the most cost effective way to ship brass? How best to package it so it all arrives... without leaving a trail of brass "breadcrumbs" behind out of a split box or envelope. I understand USPS won't take the tyvek envelopes more than 1/4 inch thick so that seems out these days. So what is an economical way to ship brass? SFRB seems expensive and limits quantity unless one goes with a medium box. And maybe some sort of internal packaging?

I have some brass, I'm thinking of selling it, and find at best maybe 120 fit into a SFRB which seems to me would be adding 5 cents per case to the cost just for shipping, without benefit to buyer or seller. Be nice if there was a way to get that shipping cost down. Any suggestions?
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I've bought numerous boxes packed double and others with the tyvex bags packed 1/2 full and several stuffed in a Medium box, also zip lock bags in a well taped box.
    The fibered tape also seems to hold well, taping all edges and sometimes the entire box.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    I normally buy brass in large flat rate boxes and have never had a problem. I think any type of box that is taped well will survive USPS handling.

I have shipped small quantities of brass in the small FRB and never had never had a complaint.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I question the USPS not taking tyvek envelopes over 1/4 inch thick. I have packaged stainless steel Revere double boilers, wrapped in bubble wrap inside tyvek envelopes for shipping with no questions from the postal service.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master

Tyvek envelopes inside flat rate boxes. The tyvek is the important part. The USPS has envelopes to use for this purpose and they don't cost you anything just like the flat rate boxes.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Tyvek envelopes inside flat rate boxes. The tyvek is the important part. The USPS has envelopes to use for this purpose and they don't cost you anything just like the flat rate boxes.
    What he said. I always try to use the tyvek inside the frb's. Simply based on weight I think you will find the frb's are the most cost effective method, especially when you factor in tracking and insurance. Don't forget the regional boxes for when you have a little too much for a sfrb but not enough to justify the cost of a mfrb. Usually cheaper than the mfrbs.

For small quantities, ie 20 pieces of brass, they usually don't justify the cost of shipping by any method unless it is a rare caliber. YMMV

Boolit Master
    what they are all saying...multiple tyvek bags INSIDE a medium flat rate box.

tyvek is indestructible!...even by usps standards!

Boolit Master
    For small flat rate boxes, I like the clear tape to completely enclose the box. For medium flat rate boxes, I have a roll of plastic and use a double layer inside the box to fold over. It is best to add cardboard or foam to make a tight hard box for shipping to avoid crush damage. Then wrap the entire box with clear shipping tape, and a few wraps of fiber reinforced tape if brass or lead is being shipped.

Is anyone else having trouble finding the large rolls of this tape in their local stores?

Boolit Bub
    Mine come in taped and wrapped.

I've only got a couple of orders of brass from the site. Once was a med flat rate box that had the brass inside a tied garbage bag wrapped so there was tape on all seams. the other was a small flat rate box and the brass was in zip lock bags and the box was once again wrapped with tape covering all seams. They both arrived with all cartages intact although that boxes showed some wear.
    Rob

Dusty Bannister: Have been finding my fiberglass tape on evil bay! Twice the amount you get if you buy someplace like office max!!

Boolit Bub
    Tyvek bagged in Med or Large FR USPS boxes. . . and all the packing supplies other than tape are free. Order from USPS online.

I've never seen brass valuable enough to bother shipping less than a MFRB.

In Remembrance

The size of the box being used is where you `Bite the bullet` as far as shipping. How you pack the `innerds` is up to you.Robert

Two tiered answer to the two questions.

As others have said, securely contained inside the outer box.

I also add another shipping label secured to the inner parcel, just in case it gets completely out of the outer box.

Completely fill all voids inside the outer box, if shipping flat rate. I often use plywood or dimensional lumber to stiffen or fill the FR boxes. I have gotten many complements on my packaging. Heavy odd shapes have even gotten spray foam with the article inside a garbage bag. Any movement inside the outer box is bad.

Go hog wild with the tape.

To the second Question, It is not always the USPS that has the best price. Sometimes the distance and parcel dimensions will make UPS or FEDEX less expensive.

Boolit Buddy
    I always use the USPS tyvek envelopes inside the USPS boxes because they are FREE. Also, look into using the USPS Regional Rate "A" boxes because postage is less expensive than a MFRB and often about the same price as the SFRB.
    My "Swappin & Sellin" feedback thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=btreanor

Boolit Buddy

I like to vacuum seal the brass and then donate some of my shredded mail for padding in a SFRB.
    We were brothers then, we are brothers now, we are brothers forever. Currahee

Boolit Bub

Don't forget the padded flat rate envelopes-same price as SFRBs. You can get two SFRBs into an envelope. I just shipped 56 lbs. of lead in this manner! I'm guessing that if shipping small brass, a couple Tyvek envelopes inside the padded envelope will be real close to the MFRB for the price of a SFRB.

Yeah, tyvek inside the frb. I bought a 1000 pistol cases once, they were just dumped in a lfrb and taped shut. It busted open at some Postal facility, they swept up all the spilled brass and put it back in, taped it up, and sent it on. But they also swept up all the rubber bands, paper scraps, candy wrappers, and whatever else was on the floor with the brass. Friggin' government employees.....

Boolit Master

I send mine this way:
    zip lock bags...taped to prevent opening,,,then in a USPS box with all edges taped double...
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Grand Master

The bubble envelopes are very rugged. Tyvek bag inside the flat rate bubble wrap envelope and it will get where it is going. Use a marker to write the address. Don't try to tape on a label.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast