Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: MEC Charge Bar?

Boolit Master

MEC Charge Bar?

How well does the universal charge bar work in the mec 600? I would
    rather not have to buy a drawer full of bars and bushings if I can
    avoid it. Thanks Aaron

Dad had a 650 Jr. when I was growing up. Had a desk drawer full of bushings and bars. Never could find the bushing you were looking for when you needed it.

I now have 3 MEC presses, all with universal charge bars. I'm with you on the "I don't need any extra stuff" opinion.
    When setting up I put only the shot bottle on, and throw charges until I have them right. Then I take off the shot bottle, and put on the powder bottle, do the same thing - throw charges and adjust until I get what I what I want. Then, I start putting hulls through.

Works like a charm, and if you need to adjust the shot charge to get the crimp to work right, just turn the knob.

I would not use a MEC press now unless it had a universal charge bar in it.

Chris
    NRA Life Member

"The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed that Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation, where the Governments are afraid to trust their people with arms." - James Madison.

Boolit Master
    Thanks, sounds like I'll start looking! Aaron

Boolit Master

that 600 takes a type C bar and get the baffle rick

Boolit Master
    Mine is a Pre 82 I found on the MEC site, Still the type C bar? When I bought it about
    79 or 80 I bought the 12ga press and dies for 16,20 and 410 now I wish I'd got
    28 also (they cost 24.00 aset then ).

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Sizemaster with the adjustable bar, and I consider it to be the uber single stage Mec because the collet sizes the brass for my Ithaca and A5. I have a bunch of bars and bushings also, and I just use what I have. If I need a charge that the bushings don't throw such as a max. charge for use in slug loads, I throw the charge with my Uniflow. It slows me down a bit, but I like the ultimate in consistency in my heavy loads.
    If you want your children to follow in your footsteps, be careful where you walk.
    Beware the man that only owns one gun; he probably knows how to use it.
    Some things never change; others change more slowly.

Spot on advice chris

The universal charge bar will cost a lot less than the powder bushes and various shot bars

I have two mec 600 jr presses .12ga and .410 and only one universal charge bar that moves between the two
    the advantage is you can change from a lite trap load to a heavy field load with out changing charge bars and bushes

Boolit Master

I don't want to start any arguments here, I'm just playing devil's advocate.

I own one UCB, and I put it away! I don't do a lot of experimenting, I've pretty much settled on one or two loads for each gauge, and stick to them and load them in quantity. And I load all 5 gauges (12,16,20,28,and .410, not 10! )on progressive MEC presses.

A fixed bar and a fixed bushing ain't gonna move, period. It can't get knocked out of adjustment. You don't have to calibrate and check it each time you change a setting. I take a certain comfort in that fact. It's not like I've had it happen a lot, but it did once or twice. I don't like the fact that it can. I like simplicity reliability in my reloading. Fixed cavities don't change.

That said, it is handy if you want to try a new powder or load or something, but once I find the recipe that works I get the fixed bushing that delivers it and never look back.

You have a good point there Patrick, simplicity does have it's benefits. This is something to consider and you have me thinking about my 12ga machine that does nothing but load trap loads. The 20ga machine is the one that I'm always tinkering with and changing around.

I'm sure we've got ol' Aaron good and confused by now!

Chris
    NRA Life Member

"The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed that Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation, where the Governments are afraid to trust their people with arms." - James Madison.

Boolit Master
    No, not confused just broke! I've been looking at the prices and decided the UCB will
    have to wait awhile. Wish I had of bought alot more powder bushings or the UCB
    years ago. My #31 throughs 16.6grs red dot and my #36 throughs 20.2grs red dot
    and I really want 17.5/18gr. Now where's my pop can shim! Aaron

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by joatmon View Post
    How well does the universal charge bar work in the mec 600? I would
    rather not have to buy a drawer full of bars and bushings if I can
    avoid it. Thanks Aaron
    Been using one for 30 years,,,works fine for me!!