RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pan lubing newbie

Pan lubing newbie

I've been tumble lubing and powder coating for a few years and I was interested in giving pan lubing a try. For all the options, I started reading and got my head spinning.

I've got a bunch of Lee 358-125-RF. They'll be going into 9mm and 357 Mag. What's y'all's suggestion for a first try lube. I have a bunch of beeswax.

Quote Originally Posted by shaman View Post
    I've been tumble lubing and powder coating for a few years and I was interested in giving pan lubing a try. For all the options, I started reading and got my head spinning.

I've got a bunch of Lee 358-125-RF. They'll be going into 9mm and 357 Mag. What's y'all's suggestion for a first try lube. I have a bunch of beeswax.
    This is the other side of the 'lube coin' but...try Powder Coating...way more sexy without the messy!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I have a bunch of beeswax.
    You need more than beeswax - Search the Lubes Archive and pick one that is popular:
    * Melt the lube
    * Place bullets base down in a pan over a water double boiler
    * Pour lube into pan
    * Heat the lube so the nose of the bullets is hot to touch
    * Turn heat source off and let cool
    * Place pan in refrigerator until the lube separates from the sides of the pan
    * Place a piece of Styrofoam on the work bench - turn the pan over and knock the cake with the bullets out
    * Place the cake on the Styrofoam with the bullets nose up
    * Punch out the bullets nose down. I use a piece of leather under my thumb
    Done
    Last edited by John Boy; 07-25-2017 at 11:28 PM.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

Most lubes can work for pan lubing and some of the old sand bys do well here. The Draw back to pan lubing can be the amount of lube needed to get started filling the pan. Once started the use is same as lubrisizer and its just the star up. The bigger the pan the more needed. The double boiler is a god idea for safety as wax based lubes are very flammable. I use cake pans one is bigger and the others sit in it. I use a couple pieces of small angle iron as risers for the inside pans to allow water all around for even controlled heat. I pan lube all my BPCR bullets with SPG or Emmerts Improved. Once melted and cooled I use acake cutter to remove the bullets leaving the lube in the pan for next time this leaves the holes and spacing for next time and makes moving the pans with boolits easier. A lot just push the boolits out of the lube by hand. I made the cake cutters as I lube 200 bullets or so at a time and that's a heavy chunk to handle.

I melt my Satins Lube in an old Teflon coated sauce pan. If a fire would start I could put a lid in it. For lubing the bullets, I cut 2 inches off the bottom of a coffee can (the "wax paper" type can) to stand the bullets in. The hot wax hasnt effected it yet. Then pour the lube in until it fills to the crimping groove. I don't bother heating the bullets. The lube will rapidly heat the lead to the lube temperature before it sets up. No problems with lube not sticking. And I let it slowly set at room temperature. I don't bother with putting it in freezer.

I cut the head off a shell casing to use as a cookie cutter. And use a wooden dowel to push the lubed bullet out.

Thanks for the responses.

Which one of the recipes for pan lube do y'all suggest as a good one for a newbie to try?

I'm looking for simple lube that gives a good results with a minimum of ingredients and fuss.

Which one of the recipes for pan lube do y'all suggest as a good one for a newbie to try?
    They are all pretty easy. It more depends on your availability of ingredients. None of them are any harder to make then making macaroni and cheese. For the 45- 70, i like Satin's lube. Easy to make. Works good for my application. And since I am a hobby beekeeper, beeswax is no problem.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Satan's Lube .... http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...1-Satan-s-lube
    Really is just a modification using Vaseline for tallow with soap added that was the original 45LC in the 1800's and was brought back to life in a 1945 article in the American Rifleman. Excellent lube for smokeless and black powder
    Regards
    John

Lars White Label lubes can be a good source of lube, sells it in blocks as well as the sticks used by lube sizer presses.

http://www.lsstuff.com/ his FAQ can give some guidance on a which lubes work well as pan lubes.
    Block http://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?m...=index&cPath=3

Sticks http://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?m...=index&cPath=1
    Advantage to sticks is if you wanted to sell or bought yourself a lube sizing press you might be able to use the sticks. Or sell them.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Banned

Boolit Grand Master

Lithi-Bee
    3 parts Beeswax
    1 part Lithium grease (Lucas Red-N-Tacky)
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

I'm looking for simple lube that gives a good results with a minimum of ingredients and fuss.
    I think you will like it. I used one of the modified 'red' lubes, you can find them here on this site.

I melt my lube, pour it into a pan with my projectiles, let it cool, pop the 'cake' out of the pan on a sheet of wax paper, then use a dowel rod to pop the projectiles out. works great.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45-70-1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	200510Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35rem1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	200511Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35rem2.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	200512

For pan lubing, White label BAC lube works very well for me. Gp

Boolit Buddy

You may have just answered your own question. There's a simple lube called... Well.... Simple Lube. You can use 50/50℅ bees wax with:
    Olive oil
    Vaseline
    Crisco shortening
    Lard
    And a number of other things.
    I like to use a small amount of Castor oil in my lube, it has exceptional properties for this application.

Boolit Grand Master

3 parts beeswax
    1 part lithium grease (Lucas Red-N-Tacky is what I use)

It doesn't get much simpler than this .
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Hoop de Do!
    I see the last entry on this thread is 2017. I just now got around to making the lube. It's all part of picking up the pieces from a) my retirement a year ago and b) my Cancer diagnosis 10 months ago.

The Chemo last summer left me with some holes in my memory. It's all just little things, but I've had a devil of a time picking up the pieces.

1) I found that I had ordered a new bullet mold, a Lee 358-147-WC with standard (not tumble-lube) config. I'm thinking to myself WT(?).
    2) The same week, I found something in the trunk of my car that turned out to be one of the graphite dinguses I'd taken out of the garbage at work. They are a 10X10 grid of holes in a graphite plate. The are perfect for setting bullets down for pan lubing. I remembered that I had a stash of them in the basement and went and found the stash. I'd asked the shift supervisor and she pointed me to a shelf where the grids were stored when they were rejected by QC.
    3) I found some Lucas Red Lithium grease. Things began to fall together.
    4) I finally went searching on this place to see what I'd been up to.
    5) While I was digging around I found a thingus I'd ordered off EBAY that works like a cookie cutter for bullets. You jam it down over the bullet and then use a plunger to eject the finished bullet, ready to size.

Bingo!

I've got my first pie pan filled with the beeswax/grease concoction. I dropped a plate in that's perfect for .358 bullets, and have enough of the concoction left for a good 500 more bullets.

Yippie! I'm on the way-- Finally!

Tomorrow, it'll hit 50F and I'lll go outside and pour some bullets.

Boolit Master

Good luck. Post some pics when you can.

Boolit Master
    Pan lubing is one of the more frustrating things I have ever done. I usually experienced about a 30% success rate. I gave it up as a bad idea.

Gentlemen
    I recommend simple and effective.

„ Once Upon a Time in America”, or rather in Poland
    part 1 how
    how to stack and grease
    while cooling, cut crosswise into 50 pieces cooling grease will shrink and break, tell him how.
    part 2 how to squeeze balls

in the lead role
    acquaintance
    https://youtu.be/476glcKx_aw
    https://youtu.be/t64nqmH3ihQ
    I'm sorry my English is Google

Boolit Grand Master

Attaboy ... You just got to keep on keeping on !

Glad you are better .

I'm sort of on the clumsy side ... my first attempt at Pan Lubing was a big disaster ...got me spilled lube on the kitchen floor , the stove , kitchen counter top , my shirt , jeans and the dog ... After cleaning up all the spilled lube I bought a Lyman 450 lube sizer (1972) and that thing was the best item I've ever spent money on .
    With the 450 it's a lubed and sized bullet with every cycle of the handle and no more spilled boolit lube .

Good luck , be careful and the boolit cutter / remover should make the job easier ... I never got that far !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast