Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: New guy with question.....

Boolit Mold

New guy with question.....

Fisrt of all I am new to this site. I have been doing a lot of reading and have a couple more weeks to go just to get a good idea about casting.

I am not sure if I have the proper forum for my question. What I was wondering is this. Can I put a GC on a bullet that was not made for them? I guess what I am asking is can I just force it on?

I am fairly new to casting, I did learn one real good lesson. If a bullet sticks in your mold do not poke it out with your finger. Their is a big difference between set up and cool. The wound should be healed in another week or so.

Thanks for any help. I really like the site and have laerned a lot just by hanging out in the chat room.

Have a good day, David.

Boolit Master

Why would you want to put a gas check on something it was not made for?
    Unless you machine each casting, I doubt it.

Boolit Mold
    The mold I use does not make the "ring" for the GC. This is not a problem because all I have used these for are very light 38 loads. I was wanting to find out if I can crimp on the GC so I can load them at a higher vel. for the 357 mag.

Wow I just doubed my post count . lol

Boolit Master

You will not need to. I push .357 mag pretty stiff without a gas check.
    No leading.
    I water quench. I guess that helps.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks.

I saw a post about water quenching. I had not heard about that before but am going to try it.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Learned a lot in the chat room? Who was in there? Surely, not the usual suspects!!!!!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

on some of the bevel based boolits i have been able to get a g/c on them.
    but a good p/b with good lube groove you can push to bout the same velocities.

Boolit Master

Yes, you can do it...but.... It's possible if you do a lot of working with the bullet. I've sized a GC shank on some PB .358s that I wanted to try out in my .35 Remington...specifically the Lyman 35875 and the 358430.

It's prettly labor intensive and very equipment intensive as well. Most people don't have the dies needed to do it.

For a .357, there are loads of good used GC designs out there such as the Lyman 358156 or better yet, the Lyman 359429 which don't use a GC and I've never had problems with it in the .357 Mag./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Bub Christian for Israel's Avatar
    i run 180 gr cast bullets without gas checks through my SKS at around 2000 FPS without leading and that's at least half again as fast as the hottest .357 mag. i do water quench my boolits straight from the mold as well as moly condition the barrel...

Boolit Master

Dave,

I have a friend who made a tool that makes gas checks for his plain base 357 boolits. I have shot some of them and due to the limitations of the cartridge and my 357 rifle, I can't push them any faster than I do regular plain based boolits,

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Learned a lot in the chat room? Who was in there? Surely, not the usual suspects!!!!!
    It must have been Cman expounding on Sheep!
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw