Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30-06 CB's & Dillon 550b

On Heaven's Range

When I wanted some higher-production rates for 7.62 NATO ammo, I managed just fine with the 550B.

I used ONLY the 550. Sizing, priming and powder-charging were all done in the normal (progressive) manner. In station 3 I placed a Lee Universal Expander die, which is really just a mouth-flaring device. In station 4 was the seating die.

I used a minimal amount of flare on the necks, and since the bullets were unstable when placed on the case at station 3 with such a setting, the bullets were placed on/in the neck at station 4. This was a tad awkward at first, reaching through or around the press frame to position the bullet, but I soon grew accustomed to it.

With the tiny amount of flare that I used, I found that I could seat the bullet without damage. WITHOUT removing the flare, the rounds would function in my M1A. This was perfectly OK for the target range, but for more-serious pursuits I think I'd run the loaded rounds through the seating die again, this time having it set to remove that minimal flare without touching the bullet. I do not find it necessary to crimp the rounds, even in the autoloader, but this is still an option.

Every single round is checked with a Wilson cartridge gauge, and there are very few rejects. Virtually all rounds that failed the initial check were found to have burrs on the rim from ejection or extraction, easily fixed with a needle file; NONE were due to that minor flaring which had been applied. I'll admit to being somewhat surprised and tickled to discover this.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master
    I learned this method from Bruce B in the past when it was talked about and it works just fine for cast in my Springfield. I do run the cases far enough into the seating die to remove the flare but not far enough to crimp. Haven't had a failure yet. It doesn't take very long to get used to the rythem of the die order. Give it a try.
    Nighthunter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12