RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Re-sharpening a Wilson Trimmer Cutter??

Boolit Grand Master

Re-sharpening a Wilson Trimmer Cutter??

Any suggestions?

There is a slight angle on the cutter of 2-3 degrees. I thought I might find someone with a drill press and angle the drill head or table, and run it over a piece of 400 grit stuck on a piece of glass. My problem is running it slow enough.

Wilson wants $12 to sharpen one plus $6.50 return shipping. a new one from Midway or Sinclair is $17.49 plus shipping. It would probably cost a couple of bucks to ship it to them.

Anyone ever sharpened a cutter? All suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

Shiloh
    Last edited by Shiloh; 07-28-2008 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Spelling and diction

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Any suggestions?

There is a slight angle on the cutter of 2-3 degrees. I thought I might find someone with a drill press and angle the drill head or table, and run it over a piece of 400 grit stuck on a piece of glass. My problem is running it slow enough.

Wilson wants $12 to sharpen one plus $6.50 return shipping. a new one from Midway or Sinclair is $17.49 plus shipping. It would probably cost a couple of bucks to ship it to them.

Anyone ever sharpened a cutter? All suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

Shiloh
    I dunno, $12 to sharpen it isnt bad, and you cannot really hold the shipping cost against them . Anybody that resharpens endmills could resharp the cutter for you quite easily...but I doubt you will get it done for much less than 12 bux......maybe buy a new one, then NEXT time maybe you could get TWO resharped for just one 6.50 shipping fee ??

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Man

Thumbs up

I never tried to sharpen one, but I did go thru a couple of cutters before I got a carbide cutter about 4-5 years ago. Haven't had a problem since. I think I got it from Russ Haydon's, if not then Sinclair. It was about twice as much as the Wilson standard cutter, but it has lasted twice as long as two of the standard cutters and it's still cutting strong.

Boolit Buddy
    They are easy to re sharpen.

Take a sharpie pen and color the cutting surface, then take a super fine hard small sharpening stone and with good light and magnification if necessary lightly stroke the cutting surface until you have the right angle and then give it couple good strokes and move on to the next one and repeat.

Four years ago my Lyman universal trimmer finally wore out and I went with the Wilson as a replacement.

After three hundred Nickel .357's I could tell the cutting tool was definitely getting dull, so I called Sinclair and asked if they sold a carbide cutter they said no but would send me another cutter free since they felt after 300 cases mine should not be getting dull.

So while waiting for the new one to arrive I tried the above sharpening method and it worked so well that the new replacement cutter has never been used .

good sharpening