Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Handloader and why I hate them.

In Remebrance

Handloader and why I hate them.

Latest issue of Handloader came to day. I noticed a pull out tab for a CD of all the back issues. I focused my tired eyes on this since one of my goals is a complete collection of Handloader and Rifle. I've always shied away from the $250.-300.00 asking price. I thought this might be my answer since it's the articles I want, not a "collection". Good old Wolfe Publishing is willing to let a copy of their 11 cent CD go for a mere $400.00!!!! And the best part- IT'S THE DISCOUNT PRICE!!!!!!!!!!!! They intend to charge $800.00 for 2 CD's that are scanned copies of their back issues. I will refrain from repeating the obscenities which ushered from my lips. That is sheer robbery! These guys jsut keep pushing me to anger. The only saving point is that this issue of Handloader is better than the last one, but nowhere near as good as the older ones under Ken Howells editorship.

Boolit Grand Master

Damned capitalists! They should be selling that stuff at cost for the good of the masses.

Super Moderator

...........That does seem pretty steep for a broad interest magazine. I have fairly eclectic likes and a firend who had every Handloader and Rifle mag from day one let me take them a few at a time to work to copy articles from. Some issues had nothing I was interested in. Others had one or two. I did fill 3-4 notebooks with copied articles, and I grant that most was interesting reading at least once, but not going back to over and over.

I would have thought that maybe $3-$350 for the set.

............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Banned

HA!

You can get over 20 years of every article on CD from Mother Earth News for $40.

$20 for the first 10 years, and $20 for the second, and the quality is very good too...

Cast Boolits Owner

Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin
    HA!

You can get over 20 years of every article on CD from Mother Earth News for $40.

$20 for the first 10 years, and $20 for the second, and the quality is very good too...
    20 years of Handloading on cd from mother earth news? How did you find that on their site? I am still looking with no luck. Give help please.

Robert
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Banned

-uh if you're not joking I'll explain...

The Mother Earth was just a comparison as to what they charge for a CD library for "their" magazine, not Handloader.

If you are joking about my writing being not very clear, then well I understand completely...

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Does somebody want my Handloader Magazines and Precision Shooting magazines? Since 1975 or so, most if not all copies are there. If so, what can you do for me? I just don't go to them much any more, and Pat says I HAVE TO CLEAN UP THAT ROOM! ... felix
    felix

Cast Boolits Owner

Dangit!
    I thought you were serious. I would love too have all those articles on a cd but not for the price they want. I guess I mis-understood what you were saying.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin
    -uh if you're not joking I'll explain...

The Mother Earth was just a comparison as to what they charge for a CD library for "their" magazine, not Handloader.

If you are joking about my writing being not very clear, then well I understand completely...
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by felix
    Does somebody want my Handloader Magazines and Precision Shooting magazines? Since 1975 or so, most if not all copies are there. If so, what can you do for me? I just don't go to them much any more, and Pat says I HAVE TO CLEAN UP THAT ROOM! ... felix
    What do you want?

Boolit Master

Rats!!

Too late for Felix's magazines! always a day late and a dollar short!

In Remebrance

That may be a fine example of capitalism, but I have the choice of not buying or thinking highly of the price considering the work involved in scanning a magazine. Oh well. Ebay still has the occasional deal.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tpr. Bret
    That may be a fine example of capitalism, but I have the choice of not buying or thinking highly of the price considering the work involved in scanning a magazine. Oh well. Ebay still has the occasional deal.
    That's how it works. If they are over priced, they will choke on their inventory till they decide to sell lower. If they can't make a product that fits the price point of the market they will go out of business.

Of course, they may know what their stuff costs and what they can get for it too...

Either way, it's no reason to be hatin'!

Boolit Master
    I have access to a high resolution scanner. If ya'll want to make our own collection of reloading articles, send me data, I'll scan it, compile it and burn it to CDs at cost (postage and the 11 cent CD) . later.
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Master
    Trp.Bret, Its a shame but when handloader and its sister magazine came out they were
    really good publications. I used to have a local gunshop save copies every month. Now
    I go to barnes and noble and check it out. If there is something of interest then I'll buy it. If not then I pass. In the past (years ago) they always had some how-to article
    on gunsmithing or working of rifles. But over the years have gone towards the mass market approach. And while I'm on my soapbox you can say the same about gun digest. Think the 05' edition will be the last one I'll buy. The quality has gone downhill so bad its not funny. Maybe Krause publications needs to see some of the other comments made here about gun digest. But I seriously doubt that it will do any good.
    I know I spent many a night working the graveyard shift at work photocopying articles
    outta rifle and handloader magazines. Same for the old editions of the american rifleman. Sorry for the rant. Frank

Handloader

Years ago, I developed load data for an obsolete cartridge. I developed a case conversion method to use existing available brass. I was very excited when it all worked well. I called Handloader and asked if they would be interested in an article on it. They said they needed to see a manuscript. So I wrote up a nice article and sent them a manuscrpit. Scoville wrote me back that they wouldn't except it, since they didn't use freelance writers (so why did they ask for the manuscript???) Interestingly enough, 2 issues later, an article appeared about the same cartridge, using the same case conversion, with most of the load data that I had worked up "written" by one of their editors.

Due to an ethics problem with the staff at handloader, I won't even look at their publication(s) anymore.

In Remebrance

Leadmine- That sounds like some sort of copy right infringment deal to me. Hate to ask, but have you talked to a lawyer about it?

Where is "upstate NY"?

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Leadmine
    Years ago, I developed load data for an obsolete cartridge. I developed a case conversion method to use existing available brass. I was very excited when it all worked well. I called Handloader and asked if they would be interested in an article on it. They said they needed to see a manuscript. So I wrote up a nice article and sent them a manuscrpit. Scoville wrote me back that they wouldn't except it, since they didn't use freelance writers (so why did they ask for the manuscript???) Interestingly enough, 2 issues later, an article appeared about the same cartridge, using the same case conversion, with most of the load data that I had worked up "written" by one of their editors.

Due to an ethics problem with the staff at handloader, I won't even look at their publication(s) anymore.
    I would have persued legal action. That is a ploy that is highly frowned upon by the courts.
    “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” – John 3:16

That still amazes me…I don’t care who you are or how much I care about you, I would never let you kill my son. I can’t even begin to understand how much He loves us.

This happened almost 15 years ago. I wasn't trying to make any money, just having fun and looking to share my findings with other folks that have the same interest. I did another article for a magazine and got paid $40. The worst part of the Handloader ordeal was seeing someone else taking credit for work that sure didn't seem to be theirs.

Oh well, the internet has certainly changed things. Places like Castboolit forums are great. People can share good information and the folks are decent about it. It is hard to take credit for something, because it is so easy to find the information with the technology we have

Banned
    The comments about Handloader were interesting. I wrote them about an article I would have submitted about reduced loads, but they told me they only have articles by their writers. I once wrote to the gun editor of North American Hunter and told him my experience with the Thompson Contender and two different frames. Sure enough it wasn't long until the article appeared in NAH.
    The writer was Hal Swigget. Don't know if he is still living or not but at least I can claim credit for giving him an idea about an article. dd

Boolit Master

The comments about Handloader were interesting. I wrote them about an article I would have submitted about reduced loads, but they told me they only have articles by their writers.
    No wonder why the quality of the mag has fallen so incredibly far from where it once was.

Anyone who wants to read informatve articles on reloading should subscribe to Varminthunter Magazine.
    Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; 04-14-2012 at 06:22 AM.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast