RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What do you load with Blue Dot?

10 and 12Ga Steel shot loads
    NRA Benefactor Member

USMC 77, USRA 79

Most rifle cases can be used with blue dot... it is just a bit faster then 2400.. I always used to use it only with shotgun stuff, but got curious when I started reading some of the Blue Dot King Seafire's work with Blue dot... I got curious and became a believer... deadly accurate and reduced recoil... very comfy to shoot.. also, need to sight in your gun to that blue dot load, just like anything.. stick with it...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

12 ga hvy loads
    20 ga 1 oz cp#6+ buffer
    9mm with 115s and 125s
    38 Special +P
    357 Mag
    10mm
    44 Mag midrange
    45 acp 200 gr flying ashtrays (old speer 200gr hp) right at 1000 fps

Boolit Master
    Hi...

I have been using Blue Dot in .357Mag with commercial cast 158gr LSWC for years and years with good results in several different revolvers. I have certainly loaded several tens of thousands of rounds with no issues whatsoever. I used it for Hornady 125gr HP/XTPs but discontinued that many years ago due to manufacturers warnings.
    I used to use it in .41Mag as well with 210gr LSWC, but stopped using it when Alliant recommended not to use it in that cartridge.

Pretty much the only cartridge I use Blue Dot in anymore is the .357Mag, but I use a lot of it. I recently purchased a couple of 5lb jugs to make sure I have a good supply in reserve.

Thanks for all the hits, may try the 8mm load, currently use 2400, don't currently load for any of the magnum pistol loads, I typically run to the mouse fart load end of the spectrum. Was hoping to see some of the stuff I load for regularly, 06, 6.5 swede, 8x56R, 8x50R, 45 Colt, there was a note for 45 ACP, fireballs sound kind of fun, really hoping for big bore rifle stuff, currently playing with 450 Nitro, 450/400 Nitro, .375 2 1/2" nitro, .43 Spanish. NOT the stuff you find a lot of cast bullet data on.

The jug I have is the old cardboard Hercules version. For the price I could not pass it up, just need to figure out what to do with it.

Thanks for pointing me to Seafire, looked briefly at his stuff, looks like he did a lot of work with Blue Dot, I need to dig in what he has posted.

I like Blue Dot and use it in several calibers. I did see posted warnings about not using it in 41mag three or four years ago. Up until that time I hadn't had any noticeable problem with it but figured there must be good reason so I use other powder in that application. It makes a good 40 S&W load when fired in pistol caliber carbines (7.5-8gr.) I know for a fact that 10gr. under a 158gr bullet, fired from a LCR is a handful with a big flash. Gp

Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post
    I use it in everything from 9mm to 45/70.
    Got any load you want to share for the 45/70, I occasionally load for 45/70, but much more often for .43 Spanish. Most references for .43 Spanish say 45/70 loads reduced by 10%.

Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

I use Blue Dot in 357, 41, 44 magnums and 45 ACP +P loads. I have chronographed all extensively and have pressure tested in 357, 44 an 45 ACP. I never found any evidence of the reported pressure spikes. Btw, I discussed it with an Alliant tech and they never either. Their recommendation was based on "reports" of pressure spikes by "others".

BD does not like to be compressed. I have not tested BD in any rifle cartridges so can not speak to that.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 07-07-2017 at 12:26 PM.

Boolit Master
    Use it in 30/40 Krag , 30/40 AI and 06. Loads are moderate and it seems to group slightly better than Red Dot, although not spectacularly better. Use 10 grs with the 311284 and 12 grs with the 311291 in the Krag, 14 grs I with the 311291 in the 30/40 AI and 16 grs with the 311291 in the 06. Used it because I got it cheap but if price is an issue would not hesitate to go back to Red Dot or even Green Dot. Advice I got was start at the upper end of Unique loads and stop at starting load for 2400. The loads I use are based on good accuracy and low recoil.

Moderator Emeritus

This thread has unusual timing for me. I hadn't heard of this warning about Blue Dot in 41 Mag, til just a week ago.

I have a short story I'd like to share.

I started reloading about 15 years ago...maybe 17 yrs?
    I started because of the cost of 44 Mag ammo.
    As I read and read and read, I decided to try Blue Dot first. I liked it as I wasn't loading HOT loads, just middle of the road pressures with 240gr J-words.
    Years later, when I started reloading 41 mag, I choose to stick with Blue Dot. I've shot a few thousand Blue Dot loads (charges ranging 11 to 12gr). No problems. I have about 500 rounds on the shelf right now, and I recently ordered a new NOE 41 RF mold and cast up a bunch. I just happened to mention this recently to another group, I got the warning, DON'T USE Blue Dot in 41mag. I go to Alliant's website, and sure enough there is a warning. I had heard the warning of 357M and 125gr...but I hadn't heard of the 41 Mag warning before? it didn't make sense, it's OK for heavier 357M and any/all 44 Mag, why not 41 Mag?

Well, I did a little research, Besides being "spikey" at Max, it also seems to be cold sensitive. Others have stated that when Alliant found that out, they were OK with re-testing common calibers, but since 41mag isn't very common, it wasn't worth the time/effort to work up new/safe loading data.

the best info I found was a post from Felix with his detailed opinion.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...l=1#post370874

I guess I won't use Blue Dot anymore in 41 Mag, even though I have a full 5lb jug and a partial 5lb jug. But I am not gonna worry about shooting the 500 rounds I have on the shelf, they are well under MAX and I wll just avoid shooting them in cold weather.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I use it in 5.7×28

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    7.5x55
    7.62x55r
    6.5x55
    8x57
    .357 mag

Blue Dot is one of my favorite powders. JonB if your looking to unload the rest of that Blue Dot.... I might know a 'feller....
    Quickshot

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Got any load you want to share for the 45/70, I occasionally load for 45/70, but much more often for .43 Spanish. Most references for .43 Spanish say 45/70 loads reduced by 10%.

Thanks
    Lee 405 gr. HB cast in COWW, sized .4585", 16 Grs. Bluedot, CCI 200 primers. Chronographed at 1180 fps. from my Marlin Guide Gun. Runs around 2" at 50 yards using the factory open sights.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master
    223, 30/30, 9mm, 38/357, 45auto, 45 Colt, 44 mag, 45/70.

Boolit Master
    I use it as a "primer" in my duplex SML loads and as a single in low recoil/low velocity (kid and small person friendly) loads for 45 SML. It is also the only powder I use in my magnum 10 ga loads.

Yes, SML = smokeless muzzleloader

10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

I would refrain from using it in 12 ga heavy or mag loads when temps go into the 20s, especially with the softer wad columns like the WAA R12 or SP12s for example.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Buddy
    I do not trust Bluedot. I bought a 35lbs keg of the stuff from Pat a few years back and used quite a bit of it in a number of calibers. Over time the number of calibers whittled down to none because somewhere along the way I encountered some sort of pressure spike with that caliber.

I have a note in my notebook that reads something like "bluedot is some crazy bat**** powder".
    => https://idiomation.wordpress.com/201...at-****-crazy/

I always heard the stuff was touchy so started to pay attention to things and noticed random crazy high pressure spikes for no apparent reason. Not little spikes but big ugly horrible spikes.

Let me give but one example. I used it in 357M with 158swc at 10gr with standard primer. I probably fired close to 5k rounds without any problems (atleast none that I noticed) and then for no apparent reason I started experiencing random high pressure spikes that actually flowed the primer back into the firing pin hole on Ruger GP100. Now this is all the same lot of powder and everything else may have varied but only slightly. I was able to repeat this by loading carefully and firing and would get maybe two out of twenty high pressure spikes.

Anyway since I have a bunch left I would like to be able to use it but as I said I do not trust the stuff. I figure I will keep it and trade it for chicken eggs or some other necessity once the world devolves away...LOL.

Boolit Master
    I use it in .357 mag. 158 cast swc.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    SNIP...

I guess I won't use Blue Dot anymore in 41 Mag, even though I have a full 5lb jug and a partial 5lb jug. But I am not gonna worry about shooting the 500 rounds I have on the shelf, they are well under MAX and I wll just avoid shooting them in cold weather.
    So of those 500 rds of 41 mag that I found, some loaded a few years ago (2009) and some loaded last year. The old ones were 208gr hand swaged brass jacketed bullets with 11.0gr and also some 224gr SWC w/GC with 11.7gr. The new ones were 255gr RF Ranch Dog with 11.7gr. That load I got from a QuickLoad printout I got from Micheal and should be 25Kpsi with the 255gr RF...which would make the other loads less or at least similar.

Anyway, during a range trip yesterday, I brought the Henry 41mag, to give it a workout ...it still doesn't cycle some ammo 100% reliably. I'm just gonna keep shooting it, til is wears or loosens up. Also, I believe there is something with the Lever actuating the 'release next round' linkage to the mag tube...it doesn't always actuate...the weird thing is, it seems to not actuate with mostly SWC ammo...honestly, I would think the bullet wouldn't matter...also, it almost NEVER fails to actuate a Jacketed bullet?

I shot up 200 rds of these blue dot loads yesterday. I was having a good day, using my prescription bifocals, which wasn't the case in the past. I had some empty 134a freon cans (12 oz), and a small empty propane cylinder. Off hand I was hitting them every shot at 25 yds. In the past, I have struggled with these glasses, this was the first outing I was happy with hitting my targets. As to the Blue Dot loads, I didn't notice any pressure spikes/issues, I checked each fired cartridge as it was shot, as that was the reason for this range trip. Also, it was good trigger control therapy, that's for sure. I'm getting pretty good with the iron sites on the Henry. The Ranch Dog bullets did the best, when they were loaded, I seated them, so they engage the rifling when chambered.

While I didn't do any shooting from the bench to get an idea about 'real' accuracy, I was plenty happy with these loads, and it will be difficult to NOT use Blue Dot in 41 mag anymore, as I say again, I was quite happy with these loads yesterday ...80º degrees and humid.

The 224gr SWC GC were bullets that I didn't cast, I swapped for them from rbuck351, and they had a homemade lube that he had experimented with, that was orange and soft and gooey. I remember loading those, and it was messy...more messy than Speed Green. I mention all this, cause after shooting about 80 rounds of those (half didn't want to cycle well, dang SWC), the action was a greasy, sloppy mess. Makes me appreciate SL68B all that much more.

OK, that's all, just sharing a real good range visit yesterday.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    32 H&R Magnum; 357 Magnum (rifle & revolver); 12 gauge round ball.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast