WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What do you load with Blue Dot?

Quote Originally Posted by doctorxring View Post
    I get nervous if my Blue Dot stash goes below 5 pounds.

It is the most versatile gunpowder I've found. I like to
    keep it around for a SHTF propellant if needed.

I've loaded these cartridges with it with excellent accuracy,
    and as others have mentioned it will get good velocity if
    needed. I generally use it for reduced loads for fun at 100 yards
    in rifles. Not position sensitive and no filler needed or desired.

9mm Luger, 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 44 Magnum, 45 Long Colt

223 Rem, 243 Win, 6.5x55, 30-30, 7.5x55, 308 Win, 30-06, 8x57, 45-70

dxr
    Mind sharing any 6.5x55, 30-30, 8x57 or 45-70 loads?

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a pound of Blue Dot to attempt to mimic Speer Gold Dot loads in 45 Auto. Before I started that project, I started reloading for 40 S&W, and used up the Blue Dot. I didn’t really like the way Blue Dot metered in my Uniflow, so I gave up on it and am currently playing with HS6.
    NRA Training Counselor - Instructor
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    FWC Hunter Safety Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I use it in 475 Wildey magnum
    don't remember the load but worked good
    Great minds discuss ideas
    Average minds discuss events
    Small minds discuss people

Banned

Boolit Master
    9mm, 32 H&R, 357 Magnum, 12 gauge slugs

I’ve used it almost everything I have works well in cast rifle loads my mag pistol and 9mm my dad who I inherited a large amount on data from developed a 1100fps 158gr 9mm load works great in my 5” p89

Boolit Master

14 grs. Blue dot in .357 MAXIMUM under 125 JHP pistol bullet. Clean and very accurate for mid range loads.

Since no one else mentioned it. Under a round ball with 3 inch hull in 20 gauge. Got the recipe from member SuperBlazingSabots in a post on loading RB for shotgun. Is a hot load as provided, around 1,110 or 1,400 as I recall. I came down a very small amount but no over pressure signs as given. Still working on perfecting my implementation and accuracy but the initial tests were pretty good even from a smooth bore. I expect better with a rifled choke.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Banned

I used the last of mine years ago for fertilizer.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BAGTIC View Post
    9mm, 32 H&R, 357 Magnum, 12 gauge slugs
    Recently tested Blue Dot under the 313631 (Lyman 105 gr SWC GC'd) for pressure in my Contender pressure barrel via the Oehler M43. I've also pressure tested Blue Dot in the 357 and 44 Magnums. Contrary to popular writing/opinion I've not found any indication of pressure "spiking". However I have found with some bullets in the 357 the pressure will give increases normal to incremental increases in the powder charges. Then the pressure can make a large increase at a certain increment level not commensurate with the powder charge incremental increase. So it was with Blue Dot under this bullet.

Results;
    5.5 gr 19,900 psi
    6.0 gr 22,800 psi
    6.5 gr 32,200 psi
    7.0 gr 32,900 psi
    7.5 gr 34,300 psi
    8.0 gr 35,100 psi

The 8 gr load ran at 1737 fps from the 10" barrel!

I'm going to test 6.2 and 6.3 gr next as I consider 28,000 psi to be max for my Ruger Single Six 32 H&R. In the larger K frame S&Ws and the Larger Rugers that also are chamber for the 357 Magnum the 7.5 gr is what I would be considered max.......depending on accuracy which I did not test for.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Driver33 View Post
    I use it in my 10mm
    Me too.

I use it in my Krag for both reduced velocity J-word loads and cast. I finally used up the canister I been packing and moving for years and now use a flake powder that burns about the same speed, 10B101. Here's a 100yd group out of a 124yr US rifle with BD! I found that the high nitro content of BD makes the rifling of a Krag barrel move forward pretty fast!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 168noslerBD.JPG  
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    I use it in 10mm also with the lee auto disk.

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    Perhaps you could share "Why" to NOT use it in a 41 Mag from your perspective?

There are loads listed for it. You have my curiosity going.

Just one example of them:

Powder Cartridge Bullet wt./Grains Max Load Vel. OAL Press. Load Source
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AL Blue Dot 41 Remington Magnum 200 200 HP 14 1470 1.58 36000 Alliant
    AL Blue Dot 41 Remington Magnum 220 220 JHP 12.5 1365 1.57 35800 Alliant
    AL Blue Dot 41 Remington Magnum 210 210 JSP 13.5 1425 1.57 33800 Alliant

Source: http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/re...okup-by-powder
    JB is right. LYMAN,..... LYMAN continues to use Blue Dot (In the 41 remington magnum) and has BD loadings in the 47th, 48th, 49th and 50 ann. manuals. DON'T forget LYMAN is the OLDEST and Longest TESTing / Evauating and reloading manual firm in American history. I TRUST LYMAN's manuals. P.S. Alliants warning is now 14 years older or more. So the new LYMAN manuals are post warning with new lab testing and eval.
    From time to time, everyone needs to walk along the river bank and squish the MUD between yer toe's !

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    Perhaps you could share "Why" to NOT use it in a 41 Mag from your perspective?

There are loads listed for it. You have my curiosity going.

Just one example of them:

Powder Cartridge Bullet wt./Grains Max Load Vel. OAL Press. Load Source
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AL Blue Dot 41 Remington Magnum 200 200 HP 14 1470 1.58 36000 Alliant
    AL Blue Dot 41 Remington Magnum 220 220 JHP 12.5 1365 1.57 35800 Alliant
    AL Blue Dot 41 Remington Magnum 210 210 JSP 13.5 1425 1.57 33800 Alliant

Source: http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/re...okup-by-powder
    Quote Originally Posted by 41MagnumPassion View Post
    JB is right. LYMAN,..... LYMAN continues to use Blue Dot (In the 41 remington magnum) and has BD loadings in the 47th, 48th, 49th and 50 ann. manuals. DON'T forget LYMAN is the OLDEST and Longest TESTing / Evauating and reloading manual firm in American history. I TRUST LYMAN's manuals. P.S. Alliants warning is now 14 years older or more. So the new LYMAN manuals are post warning with new lab testing and eval.
    41MagnumPassion,
    Welcome to the forum.
    Just an FYI, JBinMN was responding to a long time reloader/caster who is now banned, and that banned member's posts are lost, but I did find the post from that person, where he responds to JBinMN...and think it bares reposting.

Also, if you read through this whole thread, you will find several posts (including some from myself) from members who have experienced this cold weather over-pressure spiking of near max published Blue Dot loads.

Anyway, 41MagnumPassion, I do agree with your post, but it should be noted that it's risky to shoot near max loads of BD in weather where the gun and ammo is below freezing temp (32ºF).

Decades ago I used it in the 41 Mag and had unexplained pressure variations of the SERIOUS kind. They were worse in cold weather than hot actually. Wrote to the company and asked about it (way before the internet). Never got a response. However in the last couple years I noticed on their web site that they do NOT recommend Blue Dot in the 41 Mag.
    http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting...y_notices.aspx
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    41MagnumPassion,
    Welcome to the forum.
    Just an FYI, JBinMN was responding to a long time reloader/caster who is now banned, and that banned member's posts are lost, but I did find the post from that person, where he responds to JBinMN...and think it bares reposting.

Also, if you read through this whole thread, you will find several posts (including some from myself) from members who have experienced this cold weather over-pressure spiking of near max published Blue Dot loads.

Anyway, 41MagnumPassion, I do agree with your post, but it should be noted that it's risky to shoot near max loads of BD in weather where the gun and ammo is below freezing temp (32ºF).
    Thank You very much for the clarification and education JonB. On the Cold temperature issue's of the powder; I can't comment to such as I'm huggin' and a squeezin' on momma if the temps that cold out, lol Be well and kind regards JonB. p.s. Thanks for the welcome.
    Last edited by 41MagnumPassion; 10-07-2019 at 04:11 PM.
    From time to time, everyone needs to walk along the river bank and squish the MUD between yer toe's !

i only use Blue Dot in my .338/06 behind a Noe 250 grn. bullet. accuracy is astounding.
    Rick

Boolit Bub
    Russian Zveroboy Slugs love Blue Dot.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191021_172400.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	250005

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Found it!

Got my Google-Fu working again this morning.

And there are multiple other threads with Blue Dot data.

Advanced search, Blue Dot, search title only, any date does the trick.

Now if there was a way to link these different threads together........

Boolit Mold
    I bought some of the last lot of BD. Does work well in 9 mm, but don't use the maximum load I found in an old manual of 8 grains. This is a highly compressed load. I tried it -- scary. I never use more than 6 for a 125gr cast RNFP from a Lee mold. Remember the old adage "Start lo and go slo!" There are reports in the older literature you can find, that discuss detonations in rifle. I shoot pistol and rifle for fun and practice, never could master shotgun on moving target.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast