Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spicy Pickled Eggs

And if you want colored eggs, get some small "baby" beets (drain and rinse them before use) and layer the beets and the eggs. The longer they set, the darker the eggs get to almost a purple. When we do them, it's at least 2 dozen eggs and 6 cans of baby beets. I'm not really a beets person but I like pickled beets and especially the eggs.
    Ron
    USAF Ret (E-8) (1971-1997)
    NRA Benefactor

Apparently in Britain pickled beets mixed in with pickled eggs are common fare. Sounds good to me!

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    My grandparents had a bunk house us kids stayed in during the summer. I can remember my brothers eating pickled eggs and having the 2 beers we were given for supper. The stench from the boys room side of the bunkhouse was enough to make you gag! To this day I cannot eat them...
    lmao I bet the was a scent to remember. I've got some spare time today since it's pouring down rain I might whip up a batch and let em sit.

Well turns out I don't have quite all the ingredients but I'm gonna fudge the details and try some anyways . Will give me something to look forward to after coming back from work next week.

Couldnt find any peppers or jalapenos even....used red pepper flakes and peppercorns for my 'spices' with some garlic onion and bayleaf.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pickled eggs.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	201153

Should be delicious either way I hope!
    Last edited by DerekP Houston; 08-05-2017 at 04:36 PM.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Grand Master

Just did a double batch of the ingredients but I used 2 cup white and two cups cider vinegar for a gallon jar batch. Started with 24 eggs but had more room so I added 6 more eggs. That just about filled the gallon and had just enough liquid to cover the eggs. Now the wait begins.............

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    ...Now the wait begins.............
    You can start to eat them in about a week, just the longer they sit the more they pickle. When mixing with beets, after a few days there is still some "white", after two weeks, they are red/purple all through and after another week or more, the color even gets into the yolks (purple and yellow, very colorful when added to a green salad).
    Ron
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master
    Ok I've sampled some different varieties while waiting and man....I think I'm going to start a batch with this original recipe instead of trying to fudge the ingredient list. Waiting is the hardest part! Anyone got some decent recipes to go with? I just eat them plain with a beer and they've been amazing.

Thanks Yall!

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    Ok I've sampled some different varieties while waiting and man....I think I'm going to start a batch with this original recipe instead of trying to fudge the ingredient list. Waiting is the hardest part! Anyone got some decent recipes to go with? I just eat them plain with a beer and they've been amazing.
    Just about any cookbook will have a recipe for pickled beets, just use that without (or with) the beets. If you google "pickled eggs recipe" you'll get a bunch of different ones, try a few different ones and see what you like the best.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; 08-09-2017 at 05:05 PM.
    Ron
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Buddy
    For you guys that can't wait two weeks for pickled eggs, try this recipe. Buy a jar of
    hot pepper slices at the store and two dozen eggs. Boil the eggs, starting in cold
    water when the water boils, let the eggs cook for three minutes and take off heat.
    This will be semi soft boiled eggs. In a gallon jar dump in a layer of peppers and
    a few white onion rings, add peeled eggs alternating peppers onions and eggs.
    Add a table spoon of pickling spice and brown sugar to mix, pour in the juice
    from the hot peppers, add white vinegar to top off. Cover and shake, then put in
    on shelf and forget for three days. You can eat in three days, but the longer they
    set the better they get. I can't keep them in the house when friends find that I put
    them up.
    webfoot10

Boolit Grand Master

Just did a double batch of the ingredients but I used 2 cup white and two cups cider vinegar for a gallon jar batch. Started with 24 eggs but had more room so I added 6 more eggs. That just about filled the gallon and had just enough liquid to cover the eggs. Now the wait begins.............
    The wait is over and they are outstanding. Not as hot as I expected but they are the best pickled eggs I have ever had.

The wait is over and they are outstanding. Not as hot as I expected but they are the best pickled eggs I have ever had.
    The pickling spice, cinnamon, and sugar just sounds weird to me... Are there cloves in that pickling spice?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    The pickling spice, cinnamon, and sugar just sounds weird to me... Are there cloves in that pickling spice?
    Yes and per the recipe I added 10 more since it was a double batch.

Boolit Buddy
    The pickling spice I had came from Winco, and it does have a little...
    Just cracked the lid on my 2nd batch, after they served their 21 day sentence in the fridge!

PICKLING SPICE: Coriander, cinnaman bark, mustard seed, ginger, fenugreek, bay leaves, dill seed, red peppers, cloves, fennel seeds, black pepper, oil of cinnamon and allspice.

Boolit Master
    MMMM I picked up 3 jars of different brands on my drive back today, and mine have aged long enough to sample. I figure they'll make great hurricane supplies might gas out the family though.

Thanks Yall!

Yes and per the recipe I added 10 more since it was a double batch.
    Interesting.

My favorite pickled eggs are the ones I make from the leftover brine from pickled bologna. Even though pickled bologna is in every store in Kentucky, you can't buy it here in AZ. BUT, about a month ago I decided to try to make my own, and it tastes just like the stuff from the store. First batch of bologna juice pickled eggs is coming up soon!

Boolit Master
    Hooo boy, we cracked in to the jar of eggs I made today, they were much spicier than the store bought brands but just as delicious. Do believe I've found myself a new hobby! According to my notes they lasted 22 days from bottling til we ate them. Wasn't a lot of flavor in the yolks but it permeated the whites quite nicely. A new batch will be made shortly!

Thanks Yall!

Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    My fave pickled eggs come from tossing them in the leftover brine from Fischer's Pickled Bologna.
    But I can't get Fischer's here in AZ.
    You can order it thru Walmart or Amazon

or make your own
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/72041/pickled-bologna/
    2 pounds ring bologna, peeled and sliced into large chunks
    4 cups vinegar
    1 (4.5 ounce) can chopped pickled jalapeno peppers
    1 onion, chopped
    1 cup water
    1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
    1 tablespoon salt
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Now the proper way to eat a pickled egg or hardboiled egg is topped with horseradish,clears your sinuses out and clears the house out the next morning!

Boolit Master
    We jarred up the last of the eggs before we made our exodus from storm central. Hopefully when we get back down in a week or 2 they'll be tasting great! Still need to try the habenero's in the mix but I felt a tad guilty grocery shopping in the midst of this so I decided to wait.

Thanks Yall!

This recipe looked too good to pass up! I made a batch on Sunday and followed the recipe to the tee. Now the wait...UGH!!!!
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Grand Master

Just sampled a new batch of these and this is still the best pickled eggs I have eaten.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast