Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spicy Pickled Eggs

Smile Spicy Pickled Eggs

Got this recipe from a friend yesterday and it looks interesting. Haven't tried them yet, but I like pickled eggs so will likely make up a batch to test sometime soon ...

The BEST Spicy Pickled EGGS!

I must begin with a fair warning. These can be addictive! So I take no responsibility for the pickled egg-eating habits that may develop once you have tried these delicious eggs. You have been warned. Please eat responsibly!

Step 1: Hard Boil Your Eggs

The first step is to hard boil 8 eggs:
    The best method I've found is to place them in a pan of cool water and then place them on the stove. Turn the stove on high. Add a few pinches of salt to the water. When the water reaches a boil, cover the pan, and remove from the heat for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes pour out the hot water and replace with very cold water and some ice cubes. Carefully crack and peel the eggs and set them aside for now.

Step 2: Prepare Your Broth:

Okay, here are your ingredients. Combine these in a saucepan:

1) 2 Cups of White Vinegar
    2) 1/2 Cup of Water
    3) 1/2 Cup of White Sugar
    4) 1 teaspoonful of salt
    5) 1 teaspoonful pickling spice
    6) 1 teaspoonful red pepper flakes
    7) 4-5 cloves
    8) 1 Cinnamon Stick
    9) 2-3 Habanero Peppers (orange color) cut into rings (discard stems). Include the seeds as well. BEWARE: the oils from the surface of these can really burn. I usually use the grocery bag they come in to hold them while slicing and cleaning. Wash your hands with soap and water after handling them.
    10) 2-3 Green Jalapeno Peppers cut into slices
    11) 1/2 Red Pepper cut into strips
    12) A few rings of a freshly cut White and Red Onion

Allow all ingredients to simmer on the stove for at least 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally while simmering.

Step 3: Combine Eggs and Broth

We are almost done. Now, remove the broth from the heat and scoop some of the peppers/onions into a Quart sized Mason jar. Add 3 eggs. Scoop some more of the peppers/onions/spices into the jar. Add 3 more eggs. Continue to add the peppers/onions/spices and eggs. When done, pour the remaining broth into the Mason jar, using a funnel if you like, to within a quarter inch of the top. You may have some leftover broth, depending on the size of the eggs and peppers, etc. If you are short on broth, just top off with white vinegar.

Hand tighten a lid and ring on the Mason jar and let it cool. Then place it in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks. This is a long time to wait, but the benefits are worth it!!
    Eat and Enjoy!
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the recipe. I will give it a try.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Sounds interesting ! I like 'hot' got some pickled right now but will try it later . Quite a few more ingredients than my standard egg pickling mix . Thank you !
    No turning back , No turning back !

Now that does sound good, think I'll have to give it a try. I have recently been using balsamic
    vinegar & let them sit for a couple weeks before getting into them, best pickled eggs I'd ever made.
    The insulated state in which nature has placed the American continent should so far avail it that no spark of war kindled in the other quarters of the globe should be wafted across the wide oceans which separate us from them." -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    I'll hafta try this but I think I may leave out the Habanero or just put in 1...I keep a box of those exam gloves under the sink for processing peppers.

Boolit Master

Who makes only EIGHT pickled eggs at a time. I start with 2 dozen eggs and use a half gallon jar.

Your recipe sounds interesting. I will have to increase ingredients to the amount needed.

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master

A guy I was in the service with said his grandpa, who lived in the country, would sit on the porch eating pickled eggs and drinking beer. Swore when the man farted, it would clear 40 acres..........
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    A guy I was in the service with said his grandpa, who lived in the country, would sit on the porch eating pickled eggs and drinking beer. Swore when the man farted, it would clear 40 acres..........
    As a kid in the later 60's or early 70's my dad went to a large 7th Calvary reenactment. Even the cooking was to be authentic as to what would have been served to Calvary members in 1875. Problem was the stew/bread was lost in a auto accident. He basically only drank beer and ate picked eggs for three days. When he got back he ripped one. It was so bad even the dog left.

Boolit Buddy
    Gotta try it!

Boolit Master
    Well I had to make up a few jars of this recipe; being a natural-born skeptic I decided to make 1 batch following the recipe and another omitting the Habaneros altogether. After filling 2 quart jars with 8 extra large eggs and the spices/peppers/onions I had plenty enough brine leftover to do another 8 eggs.

So, as I type this another 8 eggs are in the pot to boil and when done I'll have 1 qt "recipe", 1 qt "no Habanero" and 1 qt 1/2&1/2. The hardest part will be the 2 week wait, if they last that long.

A couple of comments:
    I thought the Habaneros would be somewhat rude but when I tasted a couple of drops of the brine I found it to be acceptable--not too hot.
    Next time I'll use regular or small eggs and put them up in 1/2 gallon jars. The recipe doubled should be way plenty of brine and 1/2 gallons fit in my pickle fridge better utilizing space.

I think that boiling/simmering the peppers may reduce their heat factor--I know from experience that roasted whole Habaneros are darn near fatal. You wand HOT, try roasting whole on the grill--have someone hab-free around in case you need to call 911--we almost did!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SciFiJim View Post
    Who makes only EIGHT pickled eggs at a time. I start with 2 dozen eggs and use a half gallon jar.

Your recipe sounds interesting. I will have to increase ingredients to the amount needed.
    Lol that's what I was thinking. Pickled eggs are delicious already, that recipe looks like a winner thanks for sharing!
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    When I was younger I used to buy a large jar of Penrose sausages, eat about half the sausages and fill it back up with boiled eggs. For some unknown reason Penrose sausages are no longer made. That and a cold beer, WOW in more ways than one.

Dave

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Master
    Looks like retail outlets abound in Western NY, in "Dollar General" convenience stores.
    Personally I never met a pickled sausage I liked and they are really LOADED with sodium....

Seems like every tavern back east had a jar of pickled sausage on the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by SciFiJim View Post

Also in that train of thought. You simply don't make JUST 8 pickled eggs. Recipe sounds good though.

My fave pickled eggs come from tossing them in the leftover brine from Fischer's Pickled Bologna. Just the thought is making my mouf water right now, but I can't get Fischer's here in AZ.

Boolit Master

The recipe I used was similar, except straight cider vinegar, no water. It advised that piercing the eggs with a toothpick would hasten the process, down to one week,but might induce botulism. So I used a two prong fork, and the eggs were ready after one week. I also used beets to add color.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm.Bet those would make some swell egg salad sammiches on toast with lettuce and tomato.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Buddy

Eggs

Just waited my 3 weeks and finished my first of two quart jars! They were excellent, but, can't get the wife to try them...guess that leaves more for me. Cooking another batch now so I won't have to wait so long. Thanks for the recipe.

Last edited by 2011redrider; 08-01-2017 at 10:01 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Moderator Emeritus

My grandparents had a bunk house us kids stayed in during the summer. I can remember my brothers eating pickled eggs and having the 2 beers we were given for supper. The stench from the boys room side of the bunkhouse was enough to make you gag! To this day I cannot eat them...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast