RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W wood Grips: The Thailand edition

Moderator Emeritus

S&W wood Grips: The Thailand edition

We all know the prices of older S&W guns and the original wood grips from those guns have jumped in price to almost unaffordable levels to many shooters. Which means, that many times, when a older (shooter grade) S&W pistol is sold, it almost always has some rubber grips on it. Which means, Fleabay is loaded with used S&W grips.

In the last three years, I have acquired three affordable shooter grade K-frame guns (2 Rd butt and 1 Sq butt), each came with rubber grips, which is fine, I guess, but I prefer the feel of real wood. While I was surfing Fleabay, I came across one foreign seller (Thailand) that has a lot of listings for new replica and custom S&W grips. The Replicas look good enough to fool many hobby shooters, but I surely appreciate the honesty in this seller's description.

Gorgeous Grips Handmade by Thai artist who have over 20 years’ experience in this craftsmanship.
    PLEASE NOTE!!! This grips are just our reproduction work NOT Authentic factory grips.
    These grips are in the $50+ price range, which is very similar to Altamont...so deciding to order a set from Thailand is a conundrum for me, especially if they happen to NOT fit the frame perfectly. So, the question is, has anyone ordered a set of these grips? how did they fit?

I copied a few photos of the Thailand made grips (if you don't feel like surfing Fleabay to look at them).

K-frame Rd butt
    Attachment 219577
    Attachment 219578

These custom grips are supposed to fit either K-frame Rd butt or Sq Butt
    Attachment 219579
    Attachment 219580
    Attachment 219581
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    If you use paypal they will back you on any problems. They look like nice grips, good luck if you decide to buy.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by bassnbuck View Post
    If you use paypal they will back you on any problems. They look like nice grips, good luck if you decide to buy.
    you are correct about fleabay/paypal...AND the seller does advertise 100% satisfaction guarantee...the problem is the buyer has to pay postage to return them to Thailand.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Banned
    I don't see a down side to ordering those grips from Thailand. They are up front with what they are selling and if they fail to meet your expectations, you're no worse off than dealing with a domestic source. In fact, I think that first set is closer to the real S&W grips than the Altamont grips.

If you were purchasing genuine N.O.S. S&W grips I wouldn't take the chance but those are replicas being sold as replicas.

Attachment 219582

This probably won't help you a bit, but here goes anyway: I encountered the same problem as you have described with pricy domestic grips, and ordered two pairs of replica grips from the Philippines for two Colt Police Positive .38 Specials I was restoring. One pair fit both revolvers perfectly, and one pair would fit neither satisfactorily. Like you've stated, return shipping is very expensive, so I ended up with one good pair for a price close to what I would have paid for something made in the U.S. The photo shows the light gap between the top of the grip and the frame. Of course, in your case, we're talking about a different maker in a different country, so you're back to square one-- your call.

Boolit Buddy
    I picked up a pair of Thailand grips off EBay a couple of years ago for a Model 60 I once had. Likely the same seller as yours.

It was great for a year of carry but ended up splitting down the middle on one of the sides. Hope you have better luck!

Boolit Buddy

Quite a few satisfied customers over on smith-wessonforum.com/

Boolit Bub
    Interesting . What was that Seller Name ?

The interesting part in this to me is,the roll "feedback" plays in fleabay.

I like the bay for certain items,whoopy.But as a realtime research tool,it has few peers. "I have this rare XYZ thingabob"...."it's worth 30k$ easy".

OK,one check and they're selling for 1500$ on the bay,everyday.Just interesting?

Boolit Grand Master

JFTR - I have never had a bad set of Altamont grips.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    I have several sets for Rugers from Thailand that have been very good.

My understanding is that during Obama's administration a law was past that required that wood products have to be 90% finished in the country where the wood is grown. Wood grips from Eagle are made in India, etc. Trying to make jobs in the country of origin.

Banned
    Eagle Grips was founded by Harbans Singh and is now controlled by his son Raj Singh. Harbans Singh was a Sikh from India, so it's no surprise he sources wood for grips from India. The U.S. headquarters for Eagle Grips is located in Carol Stream, Illinois. The motivation for manufacturing the grips in India is due to cost of manufacturing and not a law. There are restrictions on importing some types of wood and completed products can be a way to get around those import restrictions. So while it is accurate to say the product may need to be produced overseas, it isn't accurate to say that those laws exist to make jobs in the country of origin.

The reason for foreign production is: the lower cost of labor and materials in other countries coupled with the restrictions of importing some species of wood as raw materials.

Boolit Grand Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	052.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	219758Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3753.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	219759
    I have several guns with Thailand grips. The only one not perfectly satisfactory is the one on the 6 inch 28, It has an edge that that smarts if you launch a hot magnum load.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy

On the S&W blue forum, there are very many satisfied owners of the Thailand grips. They mostly have high praises for them.

Moderator Emeritus

well, this has come around again.
    I am wanting a N frame round butt conversion grip for my 625
    It makes a Round Butt have the feel and look of a Square butt.
    Hogue does this, but I prefer wood.
    Altamont has made them for some time, but I just found out that the Thailand "craftsman" make them too.
    I think I might order a set.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Man
    I have 2 sets of Thai grips and have had 2 more. They are good to go. For similar money I think Altamont is a better product, but I have zero reservations about Thai grips either. Find a set you like and pay for it, you will not be disappointed.

Boolit Buddy
    I purchased two sets of these from a seller on ebay who is from Thailand for two S&W mod 10 round butt, Police trade in revolvers that I bought a few years ago.
    The originals were pretty dogeared and were really not salvageable.
    The first set came in and fit really nice, needed no modifications, and felt great. Since one of these guns was my wife's gun, I had her try the feel.
    She liked the feel, so they became hers.
    I ordered another set for my gun, and its the same deal.. The only thing that took some getting use to, is this. On the 2nd set, the wood has a red tint to it. It actually looks good, has some blackish mineral stains, and is quite unique. I just never saw a set of grips this red on any Smith revolver.
    The checkering is pretty sharp, so I suspect they would bite a little on a gun shooting heavy loads.
    Thats my experience.. Lots of luck.

Boolit Grand Master
    There are actually a couple of grip sellers on the ‘Bay that operate out of Thailand. I can’t remember which is who, but several years ago I ordered two sets of grips (one from each) over about a year’s time. And both were good value for their price. I like smooth combat style grips but I like wood on the back strap which factory S&W combat grips lack. Also, I was putting them on stainless guns so I wanted ebony, or at least very dark wood.

The set I got for a Model 60 were perfect and just as envisioned... almost pure black and a great fit both to the gun and my hand. The other set were more toward a very dark brown than black and must not have been totally dried when cut, because after a while they sort of shrunk away from the frame of my Model 66 a little. Eventually I will need to replace the cardboard shim I put in with a more permanent glass bedding. In my hand though, they feel great.

As I said, for the money, they are quite good and I wouldn’t hesitate to order another set. They are not and do not pretend to be original S&W grips, but if you are trying to fit a gun you are going to use with a good serviceable set of grips, “they’re your huckleberry!”

Froggie

PS Some of you may recognize that the Model 66 (K frame) actually had some other changes... it’s “Project 616” and already was by the time those grips were acquired.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F1015C54-F9BD-428A-BF77-BE5C1E363ABB.jpg  
    Last edited by Green Frog; 05-29-2021 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Add PS
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a set of Thai-made grips allegedly made to fit a Colt Official Police .38.

They don’t even come close to fitting.

Boolit Buddy
    I have had these for over 8 years. They are fine.

Name:	KIMG0285.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	283685

Name:	KIMG0287.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	283686

Name:	KIMG0286-1.jpg