Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SAECO Mould History

Also were would one find I'd marks on a 5 cavity Cramer mould?Attachment 197479Attachment 197480

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by omgb View Post
    The guy associated with SAECO was Paul Fitz Jones, he wasn't a mold maker, but he was an extraordinary salesman. He passed prior to 2014, closer to 2007 IIRC
    That's him. Hate to say anything since he has passed but he sold me a Saeco mould claiming it to be a Keith bullet: "Saeco Bullet Mould 294411." It wasn't close. I asked to return it as it didn't look anything like the bullet he pictured in his ad. His response: The picture was just an artist rendering. The picture looked to be perfect Keith but the again the bullet cast wasn't close.

Salesman is right!

Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post
    That's him. Hate to say anything since he has passed but he sold me a Saeco mould claiming it to be a Keith bullet: "Saeco Bullet Mould 294411." It wasn't close. I asked to return it as it didn't look anything like the bullet he pictured in his ad. His response: The picture was just an artist rendering. The picture looked to be perfect Keith but the again the bullet cast wasn't close.
    You are kind to not speak ill of the departed. But you are absolutely correct. He was a salesman through and through. I only bought the two moulds from him and he neglected to tell me they were bevel based moulds. I have grown to like bevel based moulds (less case mouth belling) so it all worked out.
    I paid stupid money for these moulds ($150 each in 2000 or so) but they were new in the box, and have rosewood handles. if he told the truth, these were meehanite alloy.
    SAECO was an aerospace machining company that worked to extraordinarily close tolerances. The early Carpenteria SAECO's were works to behold. They are almost....and I mean ALMOST as good as the Hensley & Gibbs moulds of their day.
    I'll post more info when it becomes available.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Mold
    So, I recently went to a gun range with friends. It reminded me how enjoyable a sport it is. I was sitting the internet and thought I would look up a company I used to work at... Yep SAECO when it was in Carpenteria. I read your post and while I don't believe I ever met any of the sales reps, I did work in the machine shop from about 1978 to mid 1980. I started on the drill press, and working 6 months I was on the upright mill making molds. I signed up for Cast Boolits today to see if I could help with the history of these dates. If this is something you still have interest in let me know. Thanks
    Last edited by Old Miller; 08-31-2020 at 08:10 PM.

Welcome d Miller. It will be great having you here.

Boolit Master
    I probably have a dozen or more SAECO (Redding) moulds, none of which were purchased recently. I have moulds by many makers including Eagan, Hoch, and (Walt Melander's) NEI. The SAECO's compare favorably with the best.

Boolit Mold
    While I was working in Carpenteria, I thought we were the best. We took our time and had a pot going all day. I would spot check at least 3 times a day to make sure tolerances were being held. Everything was hands on.
    We even had a line of single moulds designed by Barry Darr. While those were not hot sellers, the single shot people loved them.

Boolit Bub
    I ran across this by accident, I was looking for one of paul fitz jones 45/70 molds on Google and this popped up.

As far as I am aware he is alive in California, in 2021 I acquired several Dillon rl1000 and star progressive and universal reloader, in my search for parts I tried Facebook market place and found a post by Paul Jones from 2013 marketing star parts and other items of interest. I made contact but no response, his profile show him being last active on Easter 2020 on his birthday.

I reached out to a person who referenced him as dad, I stated my purpose and provide phone#, emails, etc and I was told this was forwarded to his son who was handling the items.

I have never received any correspondence to date, and I have not found an obituary so the prospect of untouched star parts,Dillon rl1000s, saeco molds, fitz ammo safe boxes, and fitz 10x grips lives on on my opinion

Boolit Master
    This will date me but I bought all of my casting equipment and molds new, directly from SAECO. I still have their lead pot and lubrisizer, along with multiple molds. The mold blocks are made from a grade of fine cast iron (meehanite?) and cast like a dream.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    If memory serves me, when PJ, Paul Jones stopped cutting blocks his son took over until the business was closed. The molds were marked differently between Those made by Paul and son
    Cost was $175 and at auction now are being bought for $225 to $275. Saw one of his Creedmoor’s go for $325 on eBay
    Last edited by John Boy; 01-26-2022 at 02:37 PM.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    If memory serves me, when PJ, Paul Jones stopped cutting blocks his son took over until the business was closed. The molds were marked differently between Those made by Paul and son
    …. I bought all of mine at $175 and at auction now are being bought for $225 to $275. Saw one of his Creedmoor’s go for $325 on eBay
    Regards
    John

I have 4 SAECO molds that I purchased from Paul Jones in the '80s. Three are pre-Redding & bear no identifying stampings on the mold blocks. The sprue plates have the stamping: SAECO above "custom precision". The Redding (copy?) has all stampings on the mold blocks & no stampings on the sprue plate. Mine are not collector quality: they are well used but not abused. I bought them all from Paul Jones: I'd order by phone. I bought 2 more from him that I no longer own. I also bought a Star lube sizer & a Lortone tumbler from him: both of which have given me trouble free service. The Paul Jones that I did business with was bullish on Lortone tumblers & Star products.
    Last edited by oldhenry; 01-27-2022 at 11:00 AM.

I knew Mr Jones having bought many molds and grips from him and talking on the phone many times. I liked the guy. He could sell freezers to Eskimos. I liked his molds but never found his iron to be superior to other iron. Mehanite or some strange name, I don’t recall but he sure promoted it as a wonder metal for casting. The last mold I bought from him was in the late 90s early 2000. It was a six cavity .50 cal maxie mold. Beautiful mold but just the devil to hoist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12