Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions for a Backyard Plinker and Pest Control Airgun

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a cheap ($100 with 4x scope) break action from Big 2 and found it to be excellent for my purposes. I havea shooting gallery air rifle trap and can hit the 1/2" plates every time I can control the heavy trigger off hand at 15 yards. I don't know who in China made it but other than being a bit heavy and only 850 fps instead of the advertised 1,000fps works good and keeps the squirrels out of my apricot tree at ~85 feet.

Boolit Master
    Do what Mr. Buchanan suggests. Buy once, cry once. Get a HW 30, or if you want more power get the HW 95. Get the .177 caliber. The more powerful airguns are harder to cock, which makes them more fatiguing over long shooting sessions. Either one of these airguns are powerful enough for pest control, at reasonable distances. Both these airguns have the Rekord trigger, which is the best out there. Fully adjustable. There are plenty of aftermarket parts, to tune these airguns, if desired. These are adult quality airguns, not the Chicom stuff. Built to a standard, not down to a price. These airguns will outlast you. You will shoot these airguns 1000X more than a powder burner, that you wouldn't bat an eye over spending $500+ for. Either of these airguns will give you pride of ownership.

You can hire a wildlife removal company that will solve your problem on a short term.
    The problem with that is a animal loves their home as much as you love yours.
    When they get dumped off somewhere they will find their way back.
    If the animal never returns you can bet they are not as humane as they claim to be.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by GBertolet View Post
    Get the .177 caliber.
    What do you personally like better about the 177 caliber?

Never tried it, not a lot of experience with airguns, and have only fooled with 22 pellet airguns because that was what we had as kids.
    Last edited by Mrlucky353; 04-29-2021 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Rephrased question

Quote Originally Posted by Mrlucky353 View Post
    What are the advantages if the .177 caliber?

Never tried it, not a lot of experience with airguns, and have only fooled with 22 pellet airguns because that was what we had as kids.
    Flatter trajectory, less hold over for longer shots. I use both 177 and 22 cal. for small game and have the same success rate with both cal.
    Airgunning to me comes down to shot placement with either cal. ymmv!
    Pellets are usually cheaper in 177 too.
    Either cal. will work just fine for small game in my experience.

Boolit Master
    As previously stated, the .177 pellets are cheaper, velocity is higher, shoots flatter, penterates deeper, expands more, and some feel that the .177 is more accurate, which is debatable. The biggest plus of the .22, is the pellets being larger, are easier to handle.

If you are venturing into really high powered airguns, such as PCP and heavy springers, the .22 is better, as the diabolo pellet can be only driven, maybe 950 fps, before accuracy suffers. Going larger and heavier brings the velocity down, to more accurate speeds, while increasing energy. Sort of like cast bullets in rifles. Your limited in velocity, so, for more power, you go heavier, in bullet weight.

Boolit Bub
    35 Shooter and GBertolet, thanks for the concise info.

Boolit Bub
    Also, there are good videos about the Weihrauch HS30 on Youtube. Here's one:

https://youtu.be/5W9R30mpVXs

The video shows HW30S Deluxe .177 accuracy tests with different brand pellets.

My .177 RWS 45 is more than adequate for pest control. I have a 4x12 Simmons Pro Air scope on it. The wife and I shoot 50-70 tree rats a winter off the feeders. 3 or 4 woodchuck from the garden and flower beds each year. Almost all are 1 shot kills. The 10.5gr. Crossman premier pellets are extremely accurate. Most shots are 17-20 yards.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16951.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	282237

Boolit Mold
    I have some birds that are hell bent on picking holes in our house. I practice with a Baikal 10 meter air pistol in my basement in the winter and it is oh so satisfying to nail these tiny birds with one shot per kill. You could spend way more but I this thing is a tack driver.
    https://www.krale.shop/us/baikal-mp-46m/

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Traddles View Post
    I live in the suburbs and would like to take up some backyard plinking and pest control (House Sparrows, Starlings, and Squirrels). I am wondering if any of you airgun vets would be able to make some suggestions for an air rifle that could fulfill such a role. I'm not willing to spend more than $150 for the gun, but would like to have the option of getting a scope to aid my old eyes if need be. Thanks for the help.

Boolit Bub
    Harper, any issues receiving shipments from Krale in the US?

They look like a foreign company.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12