Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: If you could have only one knife, which would it be?

I've been a fool for Spyderco Endura and Delica knives for over 35 years. And my current daily carry knife is their Pacific Salt 2 version of the Endura. The Pacific Salt 2 series uses H2 steel, which is the only truly "stainless" steel I have ever encountered. I have rather alkaline sweat, and living here in Arizona, we sweat a lot. Any gun or knife that is going to be carried concealed here is going to be sweated on. I have easily stained other "stainless" steels in guns and knives from having too much contact with my body secretions. But NOT with the Spyderco H2 steel blades! These resist corrosion in a truly revolutionary manner. My current one has been my daily pocket blade for over 6 years now and looks as new as they day I bought it. They only down side is that H2 steel does not retain an edge as well as traditional "stainless" steels and requires resharpening slightly more often. But I can live with that.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mODN7QB.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	324014
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

The one knife that I couldn't live without is a 24 cm Eskilstuna Swedish Slicer used in food prep which happens everyday.

I have awesome hunting, skinning and tactical knives that get used one or twice a year.

I stopped pocket carry, because it just wears out your pants. Not a fan of clipping it on either after loosing a 200 dollar Klotzli Carbon fiber wharncliffe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF5631.JPG  

Boolit Grand Master

Cold Steel's SRK-C is a current favorite, especially with the CPM 3V steel version. The full sized SRK with the standard SK-5 carbon steel is pretty darned good, maybe a bit big for EDC. They make the SRK-Compact with the SK-5 steel, too, and it's very good, and amazingly cheap in a decent sheath, too. One man's opinion.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    the last time it hit the fan (Think 1929) Remington was up against it, like many other folks. They did some market research, and went into making pocket knives. Why? Because their research pointed out that most (nearly all) knives are lost or broken within 2 years of purchase. Whatever you want, get a backup or two.

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Cold Steel's SRK-C is a current favorite, especially with the CPM 3V steel version. The full sized SRK with the standard SK-5 carbon steel is pretty darned good, maybe a bit big for EDC. They make the SRK-Compact with the SK-5 steel, too, and it's very good, and amazingly cheap in a decent sheath, too. One man's opinion.

Bill
    I've actually been looking at the SRK-compact.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

My SOG Terminus XR had a broken belt clip and they replaced the clip for a $5.00 shipping charge. I waited month after month for the clip to arrive. In the meantime I bought an Amazon EDC sized knife for about half the cost. Both with D2 steel, the SOG has a thicker blade, closes with one hand and the handle has a better design.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Grand Master
    I carry a Kershaw assisted opening knife (Onion?) every day. Been carrying it for over 10 years. It is not fancy or expensive…$40 or so. A knife that is always there, in every situation is what I want.

I am ignorant about knives. Maybe a $200-400 knife is much better, but I will never know. None of my other knives are over $100. I will not spend more.

I wonder just how much more a few ounces of the best steel in the world costs compared to the crap my knives are made with.
    Don Verna

Boolit Mold
    "if you could only have one knife which would it be"?
    One?, Come on, that's like asking if you could only have one shoe would you choose a left or a right.
    At least we need to choose one folder and one fixed.
    I swore off Buck 25>30 years ago, gave away 2 110s, a 119, and a 124. Except for the 124 the blades are too thin and weak, and all of them have grips/scales that are too slippery. but I've kept a 110 in the kitchen for cutting open plastic food packaging.
    For EDC it's a Benchmade full size Adamas.
    But when the chips are down nothing beats a fixed blade, so I'd have to do a coin toss to decide between the Benchmade Arvensis or the Benchmade 375 with the "tpgrips" scales.

Looking back, I should have made it 1 fixed blade and 1 folder, since I'm a knife guy, I see the value in both.

As far as paying a lot for a knife, I don't. Most of the knives I have I got used, which of course saved some. Because I like vintage knives and traditional styled knives, most of the ones I have an interest in aren't too expensive.

I have owned a couple more expensive knives, with a Benchmade 3310 being the most expensive. My current most expensive knife is a GEC Pocket Carver, which was a gift from a friend off the knife forum. I don't know what it cost new, but on the used market it would bring $150ish.

Yes, the super steels are better, but I like using an Arkansas stone sometimes, and usually the super steels and Arkansas stones don't mix.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master
    Condor Hudson Bay. And if I can also have a folder, a large Douk-Douk.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I carry a Kershaw assisted opening knife (Onion?) every day. Been carrying it for over 10 years. It is not fancy or expensive…$40 or so. A knife that is always there, in every situation is what I want.

I am ignorant about knives. Maybe a $200-400 knife is much better, but I will never know. None of my other knives are over $100. I will not spend more.

I wonder just how much more a few ounces of the best steel in the world costs compared to the crap my knives are made with.

The SOG I mentioned is considered an entry level tactical knife and was around $70-$80 about 9 or 10 years ago. It has a pin that locks the blade compared to a spring steel tab that gets pushed with a thumb nail for closing. You know with hand guns some grips just feel better than others, this one has a handle that fills my hand better and makes it easier to hold onto if things go south. Spring assisted or quite opening and closing. Hangs in my strong side pocket on a clip and comes out pretty fast.
    There are so many different steels for knives. D2 is a tool steel from the 1920's or 30's. it's not too easy to sharpen by hand but I've deburred holes with it. Softer steels just need more sharpening.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    The SOG I mentioned is considered an entry level tactical knife and was around $70-$80 about 9 or 10 years ago. It has a pin that locks the blade compared to a spring steel tab that gets pushed with a thumb nail for closing. You know with hand guns some grips just feel better than others, this one has a handle that fills my hand better and makes it easier to hold onto if things go south. Spring assisted or quite opening and closing. Hangs in my strong side pocket on a clip and comes out pretty fast.
    There are so many different steels for knives. D2 is a tool steel from the 1920's or 30's. it's not too easy to sharpen by hand but I've deburred holes with it. Softer steels just need more sharpening.
    Is this the one?

https://www.sportsmans.com/camping-g...ontent=Camping

That is in my price range. Will look at one if I lose my Kershaw.

I live in rural MI so a "working" knife for EDC suits my needs. Too old to do anything "tactical". A year and half ago I had to pull a gun to deal with a belligerent trespasser. I have no training with a knife and would likely get stabbed if I pulled it. Not very strong or agile.

But it makes sense to have knife that can be used to defend yourself if need be.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Is this the one?

https://www.sportsmans.com/camping-g...ontent=Camping

That is in my price range. Will look at one if I lose my Kershaw.

I live in rural MI so a "working" knife for EDC suits my needs. Too old to do anything "tactical". A year and half ago I had to pull a gun to deal with a belligerent trespasser. I have no training with a knife and would likely get stabbed if I pulled it. Not very strong or agile.

But it makes sense to have knife that can be used to defend yourself if need be.
    Yes, that's it, it's the same blade length and lock. The clip matches my new replacement clip too. The lock is the black rectangular piece. That seems like a great deal, I thought mine was more but it was a while ago.

The original clip was short and wider. you can swap the clip for left or right pocket.

Knives are serious stuff. If you get a full on charge by someone within 20-25 feet with a knife in their hand the average CCW guy would be better off to put some space between you and him. Unless your gun is already out.

I've spared with my buddy using sticks for knives and we both were mock hurt lol. He's better than me and he still would've been cut.

There's a trial Minnesota with 4 hurt and one dead from one person with a knife. Self defense was claimed by the knife holder. He was just fund guilty in the Apple River stabbing.
    Last edited by pmer; 04-11-2024 at 05:38 PM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567