Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: SINCLAIR 'C' Frame Press?

Moderator Emeritus

SINCLAIR 'C' Frame Press?

In my ever expanding search for increased knowledge; I need to ask the member of this forum for assistance in this matter.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/...850&type=store

History:- I normally reload MOST of my ammunition on a RCBS JR3 Single Stage Press. Unfortunately; at times during one or more of the stages of reloading, I miss time a movement and hit the front support of the press dislodging whatever happens to be in my hand out the time, cases, primers, charged cases or almost completed rounds.
    This means I have to stop and clean up the mess or recharge a tray of powdered cases.

My impressions:- Sinclair's advertising for the press I am thinking of, states it is designed for reloaders of the short PPC type rifle cases. If this is correct, then it would be ideal for the reloading of pistol length cartridges; which is the only reloading I do in bulk. NO front support to hit with a mistimed movement.

My question:- Is any member here using one of these presses and what are your impressions of them?

If I go with one, I would need to find a dealer here downunder as first option or buy direct.

Thank you,

John.

Last edited by Bigjohn; 07-18-2008 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Spelling or fat fingers; again
    John, a.k.a. Tiny or Stretch
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Bub
    If it were me I would rather go with a steel over front press like the Lyman turret if an open front is what you want. Aluminum just aint as strong as steel. This press may be the best thing since sliced bread but I would not want to use it with anything requiring much force.
    Even sizing 9mm rounds in carbide dies can take some pushing sometimes. With the bench rest guys the neck is all they are messing with.
    In no way am I trying to slam this press, Sinclair puts out some nice stuff and I am sure this is no different.

Boolit Grand Master

I have several reloading presses and load a lot of pistol ammo as well as some rifle ammo during the year.

I have two Dillon 550B's for most pistol reloading chores. I also have an RCBS Rock Chucker and have used a number of other presses over the years.

I have a Lee Classic Turret press for small runs of various calibers (I can change calibers in seconds on the Classic Turret). It is a very strong cast iron press with interchangeable tool heads that are quite reasonably priced. The press is less than $100.00 and works like it costs three times as much. You can load 150-200 MATCH quality reloads an hour. It is a four hole press that allows you to seat a bullet and crimp with separate dies (a BIG plus). This would be my first choice if I were in your position, Big John. This design is much more sophisticated than the Lyman Turret (I have the latest issue of the Lyman Turret Press (the "T" Mag II) and frankly, the much less expensive Lee Classic Turret is a better press in most every category.

As you will see, the Lee Classic Turret has an open front like you prefer:

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...sicTurretPress

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    I agree with Dale on this one. If you're loading pistol length cartridges and you're doing a bit of bulk, the Lee Classic Turret is just about ideal. Especially if you're used to reloading single stage, but need a bit more room for your hands than your present single stage offers. You put a case on the press, perform all operations and pull off a loaded cartridge, but the operation feels like you're using a single stage.

This would eliminate the bump/drop issue you're experiencing and if you use the Lee Safety Prime and Pro Auto Disk with the press, you'd be loading an easy, no stress, no effort 200 rounds an hour if you loaf as you load.

Additionally, you'd be out less money and be making more rounds.

Regards,

Dave

Moderator Emeritus
    Late last week, I had a session or two reloading .38Spl+P on the JR, out of the 400 I am working on, I lost about 30 as a result of hitting the front frame.

I like the JR, it's a good press, does the job well; but I do have large hands and fumbles can result in cases ending up all over the bench and floor.

I can check out some of the other presses mentioned at the local dealers.

I have a Dillon 550B mounted on a bench which was set up to reload .38Spl, it needs some minor adjustments. The first batch of 30 rounds did not feel right during the reloading process and were not up to the standard I can achieve on the JR. I don't have the time at the moment to sit down and nut it out either so it sits there unused until I do.

Impressions from advertisements can be misleading which is why I posed the question.

Thanks again,

John.
    John, a.k.a. Tiny or Stretch
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    It's a good looking press, but I load up to and including a 7mmm Rem Mag, so it wouldn't do for me. Look at a Redding press if you like a single stage. The front is offset, allowing better access.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?