Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PP nose Q's/design Q?

Boolit Master

Some More Thoughts

My BROOKS 50 caliber mould is a copy of the boolit designed by John Hansen, from Sand Hills Ranch; one of Ted Turner's buffalo ranches in the Nebraska sand hills. He did an article in BLACK POWDER CARTRIDGE NEWS about his experiences guiding buffalo hunters and what calibers and boolit shapes worked. (I'll try to find it somewhere in my stacks.) I haven't shot a buffalo with it...except the steel one at 800 yards at the Quigley shoot. 610+ grains in 30:1 and about a .300 meplat. The KALYNUIK paper patch mould is similar to a postell. I have high hopes for it at the Q next summer.

For hunting, I'd refer to Mike Venturino's SHOOTING BUFFALO RIFLES OF THE OLD WEST and several articles in various magazines. Bill Bagwell (Redneck at GOEX web site) made some interesting comments while I was at the Q and he posts at both shilohrifle.com/forums, as well as at GOEX. There's a lot of information out there on the web sites, especially for the 45 calibers. There just aren't very many "instantaneous kills" with black powder rifles.

I think you're on the right track with one boolit for target and more specialized shapes for other purposes. I just wish I'd ordered the mould from Rick last winter, but I was "chasing my tail" sorting out a lot of data and opinions from knowledgable persons with experiences to back up their theories.

Boolit Master
    If you are looking for a hunting bullet, you will be miles ahead following Bill's advice vs. Venturino's book. Bill knows of what he speaks when it comes to paper patch hunting. Makes a good lube too.

Brent

Boolit Master

Bill Bagwell

And some of the greatest knives on the world! They ain't cheap; but after you've "felt the magic" that is built into them, they're worth every penny! You know how a tool or firearm "just feels right in your hands;" that's how Bill's knives are.

Boolit Master
    EDK,
    I have heard this but never seen one of his knives. Sure would like to some day.
    Brent

Boolit Master

Go To The Q!!

Go to the Quigley shoot. 600+ shooters from 34 states and 4 foreign countries. A lot of people from here, shilohrifle.com and GOEX.com. More paper patch shooters every year and a few more vendors. It's 1400+ miles from my place just south of St Louis...this was my 4th year...I may not go anywhere else, but I'm goin' to the Q!

Bill Bagwell has been there most times...Dave Gullo from Buffalo Arms came a second year with a couple truck loads of goodies...Gussy from Cabine Tree, of course....Wendy and Harlan from Sagebrush Products...lots of small stuff and "junque," but still fun. Got the 50 caliber paper patch Kalynuik mould from Powderburnerr and I bought my second damascus knife from John Klein...he and his dad Mike have a little display also.

Go shoot, look around at the guns and gear people are using, and ask some questions...and share your knowledge too. It's like this forum, only being together physically. Get a motel room in town. Don't forget to drive over to Big Timber and see "the Sharps Rifle Company of your choice."

You gotta go once...and twice...and every year afterwards.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar

Goex Forum?

EDK did the Goex forum come back online? If so would you post the www.?
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12