Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision

Thread: Winchester Hi-wall Traditional hunter 38-55?

Boolit Master

Winchester Hi-wall Traditional hunter 38-55?

Hello all,
    I posted in the Factory rifle thread but thought I might get more responses here. Does anyone have or have experience with the Winchester Traditional Hunter in 38-55? I know they chambered them in 45-70 as well so any feedback on that chambering would be welcome also. I would be interested in the obvious things such as fit and finish but also the characteristics of the chamber and accuracy. Please let me know what your impressions of the rifle are.
    Thanks,
    Rick

Boolit Master
    I have one in 45-70. These guns are made by Miroku in Japan, who is a quality manufacturer of top notch firearms. I've owned several Miroku firearms and each and every one has been of excellent quality. My 45-70 High Wall will shoot sub moa groups with a good number of different loads, and my Miroku made Winchester 1886 will shoot just a tad over 1moa with several loads also. I also have a Miroku made Browning Low Wall in 357max (converted from 357mag) that shoots as well also. My only comment on these guns in 45-70 are that they have a short throat which can be problematic with heavy bullets with a blunt ogive. They are made to the original SAAMI spec which makes them technically correct, but it causes some problems with some bullets. I have both the High Wall and the 1886 reamed to Turnbull's specs and after that every bullet shoots well and fits with no problem. To get that done was not an overly expensive proposition. If you're thinking of getting a Winchester/Miroku firearm you'd be getting a very well made, accurate rifle.

Boolit Master
    I have a Traditional Hunter in .38-55; got it not long after they were introduced around twenty years ago. I've shot it extensively with cast bullets only, though don't shoot it much anymore. It's a well-made rifle and quite accurate.

There's a cast bullet article in HANDLOADER #210 (April 2001) using one of these rifles. It includes a fair amount of load data.
    Last edited by lotech; 05-09-2017 at 07:35 AM. Reason: additional info

Boolit Master

The rifle I'm considering was introduced during the 2016 SHOT SHOW. It is of Miroku manufacture and I suspect the quality should be up to that firm's high standard. Does anyone know if it is chambered for the 38-55 long brass? or the 38-55 short brass?
    Thanks for the responses and any others most welcome,
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Perhaps this is a re-introduction of the original .38-55 Traditional Hunter. Does it have the 28" octagon barrel? I would guess any gun marketed by Browning would have a SAAMI spec chamber, but I'm unfamiliar with long or short .38-55 brass.

Boolit Master

Some 38-55 brass has a length of 2.125", which I understand would be a standard if there is one. The "short" 38-55 brass is 2.080" long. Starline has either available. I have a Browning high-grade 1886 also made by Miroku. The quality is great, and it is a shooter. It's chamber as you mention has an almost non-existent throat. I shoot it by single loading thus don't use a crimp groove so it's really no problem with most cast bullets, I just seat a little deeper than intended. The curved buttplate becomes very uncomfortable very quickly as velocity climbs so I load very soft loads for it. I'm thinking (hoping maybe) it would be difficult to push a 38-55 to the point that recoil would become a problem even with the curved steel buttplate on the traditional hunter rifle.
    Thanks,
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Recoil shouldn't be a factor unless you're using bullets over 300 grains at maximum velocities.

I don't hunt much and haven't taken a deer using a cast bullet rifle in a long time, but I much prefer the .38-55 to any .30 caliber for hunting, even if the trajectory isn't so great.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0001.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	195334Howdy RickinTN
    Here is a group I shot a couple of years ago from a 1885 Winchester Hunter model,Loaded with a 248 gn. Magma bullet mold that drops out at 255gn,22gn of 5744,sized the bullet to .379
    I'm using standard size ww brass with no problem , I just got hold of new piece of Starline long brass an it fits.
    The only thing i did to it ,I put a 1/4" shim under the tang sight , now you could get medium length stem from LYMAN ,I don't think they were available when I bought the rifle.

I had the Browning version and shot it for over ten years in Cowboy Action Long Range matches, some out to 500 yards, and did quite well with it, winning the National Championship match twice (Winter Range), plus many other regional level matches, as well as local club matches. It had a .376" bore, but I found through a lot of testing, it really liked .381 and .380 bullets, the .381 in a 275 gr gas check, similar to the Lyman 375449, and the .380 in a 245 gr plain base. The .381 bullet came from Hunter Supply in Texas and the .380 from Meister Bullets. Settled on 31 grs of 3031 with the 375449 and 18 grs of IMR4227 with the 245 gr. I came up with both loads after reading Handloader Mag Pet Load articles by Ken Waters for the 375 Winchester. I tried many other powders, RL7, 4198, 5744 and others, but the 3031 and 4227 were clearly the best in my testing. It had the 2.080" chamber and I used mostly reformed 30-30 brass; I saved the real 38-55 brass for black powder single shots and lever guns. I'm shooting it in my avatar picture for a ten shot string at 290 yards to win the title at Winter Range in a time of 60.35 seconds; 2nd place was using the same gun and was only about 1/2 second behind me; can't go wrong with a Mirouko Hi Wall so far as I'm concerned. Had several others in 45-70, both the standard rifle, the Traditional Hunter and Black Powder type and they were all great shooters.
    McLintock

Boolit Mold
    i have the same gun only winchester version, i got a trapper carbine butt stock, for 50$ off the net fits perfect so no cresent any more , love the gun shots 335 lyman with black quite good ,

Boolit Buddy
    Pretty will built.
    I have 2 one in .375H&H the other in .405 WCF.
    I hadn't had anything to complain about either . I prefer darker walnut but it's no fault of the rifle manufacturer. Both are wonderful examples.

Bill

Boolit Master

I can speak to the quality of one Miroku/Winchester .32-40.

Name:	High Wall .32-40.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	294983

Name:	32-40 Hi Wall.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	294984

Bird-dogged it for my Dad a few years ago and it's probably the most accurate cast bullet gun in our combined collections - lack of scope notwithstanding.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

I had the same rifle (in .45-70) well before Miroku started to put the Winchester brand on the 1885's - a Browning Traditional Hunter.

As per usual with Miroku firearms, the fit/finish was as good as the guns that came out of the old Winchester Custom Shop ( for decades prior to the 2006 Winchester bankruptcy) - and it was more accurate than I could shoot (and I'm a pretty good shot).

IMO, you'd be well advised to grab the .38-55 while you still can.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I have a Browning High Wall in .38-55, converted from .40-68. With 76 year old eyes 200 yards I can get 1 1/2" to 3 3/4" shooting Lyman 335. It is better than my C. Sharps .45-70 for me. I like the long case as I shoot black. Smokeless I don't see a difference in the groups. The short brass may allow loading heavy lead bullets in lever guns. Recoil is so much lighter than the .45-70 the shoulder will thank you by not turning black and blue.