Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Crimp dies?

Crimp dies?

Which crimp die would you guys recommend for those hard kicking handguns? Lee factory crimp? Redding Profile crimp? or something else?

Thanks!!

Boolit Master
    I'm a newbie here, but have reloaded for 24 years. I very much like the lee crimp die for all my handguns. I also use them for 444 and 45-70. I find I get a great crimp even if case length varies slightly. The die is designed so well I have used it with J bulletss without a crimp groove and never buckled a case. Also for my 45 acp it essentially resizes the loaded case again when you apply the crimp which eliminates an oversize loaded round which won't feed.

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up

My vote goes to teh Redding Profile Crimp die, I use it for all of my revolver cartridges and have never had a problem getting a good crimp.

Boolit Master
    Any and All of them, just depends, each gun, caliber, projectile, loads, makes each unique to itself. Just one crimp die for all, I don't think so..............research & test, find the one that works best for this one, you're working on.

That's my vote,

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Boolit Grand Master
    I own Lee FC dies for all my magnum revolvers, but have found that the standard crimp dies work fine. I always seat and then crimp in separate operations. The only time the FC dies are required is when either the brass is too thick or the boolit is too large to allow the loaded round to fully seat into the chamber. More important than crimp is that the expander be small enough to provide a good case grip on the boolit. All the crimp in the world won't replace a good tight boolit fit in the case.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master

In revolver rounds, I've used RCBS, Lyman, Redding PC and Dillon Accu-Crimp. Some case/boolit combinations call for one or the other of my collection. My own experience has been that the Dillon generally works better than the Redding, which, in my examples, gives me a sort of mildly exaggerated taper crimp. The Dillon does a fine job.

The RCBS and Lyman are a 'crimp shoot.' If I try to use either outside their preferred boolit/case neck diameters, they balk and give me poor crimps, either lopsided or mangled. I so sorely wish for a Lee-like collet crimper that works with revolver case lengths.

When I bought my Reddings, I thought the hunt was over. Oh, well.

Mark

Boolit Master

of all i have used all work ok The Lee is cheaper and on the auto pistols you can put more of a taper to aid in feeding lee is the only one i found that dont crush the cases on the short bottle neck like the 300savage rick