Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This weeks most . . . >>> Worthless Tools & Gadgets <<<

This weeks most . . . >>> Worthless Tools & Gadgets <<<

Reading the following posted by mold maker gave me an idea about a picture thread/post...(post subject was, 'infrared thermometers')

"I bought a second and more expensive unit.
    The cheaper was the best, but almost worthless. It will tell you what not to touch, but not how bad it will hurt.
    They're both in that drawer with all the other worthless gadgets that looked good before I spent the coins."

I had to laugh my tail off at that...so here's my 'this weeks most worthless tool or gadget'.
    I'm sure I'll be suckered into buying another in the future though . . .

Attachment 194765
    OK...so open the junk drawer and pull out those gadgets that you wasted money on...take a picture and post it here.
    Last edited by OS OK; 05-05-2017 at 08:42 AM.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    I have mine in the kitchen; use it to determine when the oil in the fry pan is up to temp. Or to check the temp of a fillet of fish while it's cooking, or the same with a pork chop or steak.

When I was wrenching on cars, didn't have them then, but there were lots of parts on a car that you could check; brakes, cooling system, AC, exhaust manifolds for a dead cylinder, just your imagination with what you could come up with.

Boolit Grand Master

We had one at work for checking bearings and gibs / ways on the faster presses ( 400=450 strokes per minute). It gave a good idea of if the parts were getting enough pil and the condidtion of them

I use mine often but they don't work on reflective surfaces.

Boolit Master

I'd take a picture of my worthless tool but I'm sure it would get me banned.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

"Gosh...I'm glad I wasn't sippin my Joe when I read this! That's dang funny...I'm glad your feeling better!"

Boolit Buddy
    I use mine all the time, from looking for dead cylinders in a car engine to checking mold temp ( I spray moly lube on the outside of alum molds)

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    We call her Remmy , Remington when she's in trouble , Rohm probably would have been a better choice .

Attachment 194783
    The poor girl has an amazing nose unfortunately when it turns on everything else goes offline ..... Her mother was a 85# Rottweiler her father was a German shorthair that talked her into laying down .....
    She's a sweetheart and just smart enough to make force necessary for training the parts she didn't feel like doing .

Maybe Pot scrubber would be a better name .......
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

It looks like she's saying..."Oh no...what'd I do now?"

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Just like mold she grows on ya after a while .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Those are really handy for checking the temp in a skillet or the back of the freezer when the fridge needs a little more R134.

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Reading the following posted by mold maker gave me an idea about a picture thread/post...(post subject was, 'infrared thermometers')

"I bought a second and more expensive unit.
    The cheaper was the best, but almost worthless. It will tell you what not to touch, but not how bad it will hurt.
    They're both in that drawer with all the other worthless gadgets that looked good before I spent the coins."

I had to laugh my tail off at that...so here's my 'this weeks most worthless tool or gadget'.
    I'm sure I'll be suckered into buying another in the future though . . .

Attachment 194765
    OK...so open the junk drawer and pull out those gadgets that you wasted money on...take a picture and post it here.
    EDG

Another worthless tool...

Lee's ladle dipper...uhhh? It looked good in the catalogue but...come on, what do you dip with this tiny little what-cha-ma-callit?

"Olives?"

Attachment 194787

EDG...we're kinda talking worthless tools and gadgets in relation to handloading/casting. It's like mold maker said...it only tells you 'ballpark' or 'thereabouts' temps when pointed at the right surface. When they advertise these gizmos they don't mention that part. We throw good $ after bad in order to find out for ourselves, we have the wrong application here for general use.
    Last edited by OS OK; 05-05-2017 at 01:54 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Posting pictures on this forum ain't exactly good for me as when I tried it in the past I had sketchy results. Anyway, the most worthless piece of junk I've acquired is a press. I saw a new manufacturer a while back and ordered one of their presses because I was looking for a dedicated decapping press. Well, my SmartReloader press arrived and it looked OK in the box. I was less impressed when I started setting it up and I tried to process some .38 Special cases. The action felt gritty, like there was sand in the linkage. I had to exert much more force to size/deprime about 10 cases and the ram/frame fit was so sloppy I had to guide every case into the die (like nearly 1/16" of slop). The slot for the shell holder was tight, but seemed crooked (?). I now have it hanging over my bench as it's only use now is a reminder to never purchase anything made by SmartReloader...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    Im sure there are plenty of worthless tools out there many that have been invented to address problems that don't exist but a I think a lot of it comes down to users that have no idea on how to use the tool.
    IR temp guns are a classic example, the early versions were quite expensive usually came with a extensive listing of emissivity values and the emissivity could be set on the gun. They were usually only purchases by people who knew how to use them.
    IR guns have become cheaper and cheaper and are now available to anyone, features like emissivity settings and comprehensive listings have been dropped to cut price. People purchase them thinking they will give a point and shoot reading and are disappointed when they don't get accurate readings.
    If your disappointed with your IR gun find yourself a emissivity table and how to use it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post
    I'd take a picture of my worthless tool but I'm sure it would get me banned.
    Yeah My wife says some of my tools are worthless too but I'm still not ready to toss them in the junk drawer....I keep a lot of worthless , useless stuff around !
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

They are good for exercising the cat!

Boolit Master
    The laser is the only thing that works on the 2 I have. The only reason I keep them is to play with the cats.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I used an IR thermometer at work, was good for checking temps on heating ducts, pipes, etc. You can use them to check bearings on motors, fans, etc. but you have to do it all the time, so you get a feel of what is normal running temp, or overheating due to wear. I got a cheapie one from HB for home use. Hardly ever use it, so it just may qualify for the useless tool category.

Another gadget I played with for a few weeks was a thermal camera. It has several different settings.

It gives you "the whole picture" and makes it easy to spot why the radiator on my oldest 8N hadn't been cutting it.

The little red spot on the left is the alternator sticking out from behind the shroud.

jmorris...you have some pretty cool stuff over there...the wife and I have been drooling over having a thermal camera since we discovered them.
    I don't think anything can hide from the thermal...especially the newer ones $5K - $8K +.
    I've watched hog hunts with thermal in complete darkness...boy, talking about 'booger men' in the night...there ya have one!

Wouldn't it be awesome if you could just wear a pair of special safety glasses and see like that.