Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12 ga Rifled barrel leaded!

Hmmmm, 2016 going into 2017 and people are still shooting smoothbore designed "Foster" slugs thru their rifled shotgun barrels and complaining about the barrel getting leaded up.....

Here's my experience with the Lee Drive key slug fired form a Remington 870 with rifled barrel;

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...z-load-success!!

As for your Mossberg rifled barrel. Is It ported? These will do a nasty job on the wad if shooting Lee slugs which will affect accuracy.
    Last edited by Huntsman; 08-31-2016 at 02:45 PM.

Has anyone tried Powder Coating shotgun slugs. Im new to the whole casting game, so if thats a horrendously stupid question i apologize. What I've read on PC seems to be more about higher velocity, but i dont see why it wouldn't cut down leading. Im in the process of setting up a shotgun with a rifled choke for use on pigs, and id really like a heavy hollow point with as deep a cavity as possible. My thought was to make a mould to cast a straight sided cup , then use a variation of a point forming die (swaging) to get a more aerodynamic 'bullety-looking' shape. But lube grooves would remove any chance of me making my own mould and reduce weight. Is there any sense behind all this gibberish or is it just uneducated ramblings with no actual grounding in reality.

In Remembrance

Worthy of a try, Jamez
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

I think you'll run into trouble if you want to make a slug that somewhat resembles a boolit (aerodynamic shape and hollow point) unless you use a dedicated rifled slug barrel. Anyway, a slug doesn't need to expand - it's plenty big as it is - and a hollow point will seriously weaken the slug and reduce penetration.

Efficient and accurate home made slugs are not easy to make - trust me on this! It can be done, but unless you're dedicated to the cause (read: Nuts! ) you'll be better off with store bought ammo. If you still want to give it a try, I would suggest round balls. Many members in here have had great results with those and they have accumulated a wealth of knowledge which is free for asking (and searching)

As for PC'ing slugs; due to laziness I have never tried it (my own slugs are more or less self-cleaning due to a rather hard wad), but it would certainly be feasible and some manufacturers do it.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master
    I powder coat slugs, the Lee and the Lyman, the slugs are shot in a rifled barrel H&R single shot.
    The Lee are shot with the plastic wad cut down, the Lyman are all inside the plastic wad.
    The Lyman hollow base slug shoots very good, the Lee age good but give a large group.
    I have shot wild hogs with both up close, the high weight slug usually drops them quick if shot in the head.

Thanks for the info, it hadn't really sunk that a hollow point was relatively unnessesary. I'll see if i can get some round balls loaded up, start from there. I found a mob in Australia afterwards that make moulds for 12 gauge hollow points to work in paradox type barrels, but they have a sizeable groove in them. If i get the urge to experiment later on, i might see if they can make up a mould for me. Or at least try their mould. I might leave the powder coating until im doing 3 or 4 different boolits, so if doesn't work for one it should work for the others.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12