Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Glock in 18 years...

Banned

I love and shoot 1911s as much as anyone here. Hundreds of thousands of rounds through the years. I wont argue that you can get a good 1911. Especially if you stick to 5 inch guns. Shorter barrels with entry level priced 1911s can be pot luck. that said ive even had good 3 and 4 inch 1911s but ive had some lemons too. In my opinion if a guy is shelling out over 600 bucks for a gun it should run and run right out of the box. It shouldn't even take feed ramp massaging or spring tuning. For many of us a 600 dollar purchase isn't something we can do every day or take lightly. When I see a 1911 used in the gun case at a dealer I allways wonder why its there. A used glock or M&P or sig not so much. Nothing beats a nice 1911 that runs like a top and shoot one inch 25 yard groups but those are the exception not the rule when the price tag is under a grand. I seem to either get them that run well and shoot so so or shoot good and run so so. Ive got 5 1911s right now and wouldn't sell a singe one. Why? because ive gone through probably 20 of them to find those 5. One thing about a glock is its a very rare one that doesn't run like a clock. Most that don't, don't because someone that didn't know what they were doing messed with it. Bottom line is if I'm going to shoot a ppc match or a bullseye match youll see me with a 1911. In the glove box of my truck and jeep being bounced around and not given a lot of care are glocks. If a shtf senerio every came about youd see me with a glock on my hip. I could pick up any kind of ammo anywhere and stick it in it and its going to go bang. Even if it gets dirty even if I don't have time to clean it, even if I cant find oil anywhere. That's the beauty of a glock! They function. I came late to the glock party. Even the black guns in general. I was allways the one that was the 1911 cheerleader. They were the ONLY semi auto pistol in my opinion. Buddy who though a lot like me talked me into bending and picking one up. I never looked back. Still love my 1911s but realize theres better choices for some situations.

Boolit Buddy Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    A G29 is a great pistol. I pack the G20 daily . have for the past nearly 4 years. I base my likes on my needs . and the 10 mm is pretty ideal.
    My next thing is to see if I can find an arpeture rear sight blade for it.
    You are being watched.

Boolit Master
    I bought a G29 to wear as a companion to my long arm. I also bought 40 for just handgun hunting hogs. The 29 gets a lot of carrying but not much shooting in the field. Both are absolutely reliable and that is why they were bought. Never a bobble in either. Y'all carry what works for you.
    Doc

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Glocks work really well for me and I have four of them. I can pick up any of my Glocks and shoot it more than well enough for any purpose I would use a handgun. Best part about them is the extraordinary availability and low cost of spare parts, mags, holsters, and accessories. Marlin is the only more numerous brand in my collection.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

I'm a hard line advocate of keeping a pistol stock, but I have had the chance to try a G23/19 with an Apex Trigger in it and WOW!

I won't call the Glock Gen4 triggers great, but I have not problem with them. I don't want a hair trigger on my carry or go to pistol. The Apex smoothed it out some, but the reset is amazing! Looking to put one my Baby Glock and G23. But awaiting the 2.0 M&P Compact first! Maybe Bigfoot will bring it soon! LOL

Lefty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't feel comfortable with a 10mm shell shucker on my hip for bear country. Wolves yes. The bottom feeder uses RN boolits or HP's. To launch a meplat with authority only the revolver will do. HP's from a handgun won't penitrate a bear like a good solid with a flat nose.

I've got a brand new Colt's .38-40 and I've been looking for a 1,200 to 1,300 fps load to try to equal the 10mm. So far all the load data I've found keeps the pressures down to turn of the century strength. I'm sure the Colt's can handle it.

It's really an eye opener to shoot the same model in loads equal to .40 S&W, .45 ACP, light and hot .44 Specials .45 Colt's .357, .38. I would like to be able to compare for you a load equal to the 10mm and say the .45 Colt's in the same model.

I've been thinking about this post. I would feel very comfortable with a .41 mag in bear country.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Jack Hammer View Post
    I wouldn't feel comfortable with a 10mm shell shucker on my hip for bear country... I would feel very comfortable with a .41 mag in bear country.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-vs-10-mm-auto

Boolit Master
    Buffalo Bore and Underwood 10MM factory loads with 220 grain hardcast FP bullets, while not equal to the 41 Mag and above, would be better than a 357 Mag in bear country.

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Master
    Far apart is a relative term. Meaning I have a Glock M20 Gen 4. It is lighter than most L frames. Holds 15 plus 1. Plus it came with 2 extra mags that hold 15 rounds each that are easier to carry on the belt. Has a larger diameter bullet than a 357. (not that it matters much) is pretty accurate at most reasonable distances and it is easy to get back on target in rapid fire (not that one is going to give rapid fire).
    Now, while I am a revolver person, many aren't and are not going to carry one. For them the 10MM is a viable carry gun in bear country. While I would carry a 44 Mag in a revolver many wont.
    While a 357 and a 10MM may not be far apart what may not be far apart to you may be miles apart to some.
    Some may be a better shot with a Glock trigger than using the double action revolver may be a deciding factor too.
    When one is a few feet from being either the main course or desert to a bear it would seem to me any little help will count. Now whether it is a help in actuality is a subject for discussion but I carry a 45 Auto for a carry gun in the wilds of the forest of the city even though a 40 S&W may be nearly just as good I still want a 45 Auto.
    So there you have it. Do with as you wish.

Boolit Master
    There was a video of a bear attack on the web recently entitled would your rather have a double or single action. A game agent released a bear by flipping the lever on the cage. That bear came out of the cage and turned on that game agent so fast Bob Munden would have had to shoot quick.

Boolit Master

Most of my hiking is done in areas where there are no Grizzly bear, only black bear. I've never seen a black bear hang around longer than a couple of seconds before running away. Same with the wolves and cougars. But, the wolves are getting bolder and more common and I hike with a yellow lab/great dane mix. Wolves are extremely intolerant of other canines, so I'm more concerned with protecting him than me.

I've read plenty of internet arguments on the effectiveness of the 10mm. I would have no problem using it for black bear, wolves, cougar, deer, etc. But not for Grizzlies. If I am going to be in Grizzly country, then I have a 12ga loaded with slugs for that...

Boolit Master
    That 12 gauge with slugs would be more than both the 357 Mag and the 10MM. But how many would carry that? Many would but some wouldn't. It would be better to hike and camp with a buddy and let him go first as a distraction.
    Oh well.

Banned

The .357 is more gun than a 10 mm
    But the 10mm is close.
    The .41 mag is way more gun than a 10mm
    Don't pick a 10mm because it is almost as good as .357 mag.
    Pick it based on the firepower. You have a lot of rounds to shoot. It is enough gun for anything dangerous except the big bears.

Boolit Master
    With Buffalo Bore and Underwood ammo the 10 is equal AT LEAST if not more than a 357 Mag with a reasonable barrel length.
    Now if you mean more gun as to weight and maybe size I agree.
    Not power.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    With Buffalo Bore and Underwood ammo the 10 is equal AT LEAST if not more than a 357 Mag with a reasonable barrel length.
    Now if you mean more gun as to weight and maybe size I agree.
    Not power.
    Wrong. This may be the last time I waste my time with this ignorance. Question, which has greater sectional density, a 220 grain 10mm or a 180 grain .357 mag? Right, you do not understand what you are talking about. Why do the 10mm drones want to pretend??? I like the 10mm, but don't don't be a fool and say the 10mm is more gun than a .357 mag, the bottom end of the revolver world for field use.

Sectional density of 0.201 with a bullet weight of 180 and diameter of .358".

Sectional density of 0.195 with a bullet weight of 220 and diameter of .401".

HEAVY 357 MAG OUTDOORSMAN
    180 gr. Hard Cast LFN-GC (1,400fps/M.E. 783 ft. lbs.)

5 inch S&W model 27a. Item 19A/20-180gr. Hard Cast =1398 fps

HEAVY 10MM OUTDOORSMAN - 220 gr. Hard Cast - FN
    (1200 fps/ME 703 ft. lbs.)

➤ 1140 fps - Glock model 20 4.6 inch barrel
    1175 fps - Colt Delta Elite 5 inch barrel
    1201 fps - Para Ordnance 1911 with Nowlin 5 inch barrel

Boolit Master
    Now take the ballistics of the 357 Mag with the 5 inch barrel and look at the ballistics from a revolver with a barrel and cylinder length combined that is the same length as the 4.6 inch barrel of a M20 Glock.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KFUAmIgR918
    Many don't want to compare apples to apples but oranges to apples.

Banned

You are still wrong. And the longer the barrel, the more the .357mag leaves the 10mm in the dust. Btw, we are zeroing out the cylinder gap in the revolver, so whining about barrel length definition and not considering cylinder gap just makes make the point even greater, .357 is more gun.

Energy of 756 foot-pounds for a 180 grain bullet at 1375 fps.

Item 19A/20-180gr. Hard cast LFN = 1375 fps
    Last edited by jmort; 05-10-2017 at 12:34 PM.

Banned

Why can't the 10mm drones just be happy they have a great and useful round and a lot of firepower?
    It is wrong to say it is equal to a .357 mag, and just plain stupid to bring up the .41 mag. Be happy with reality, that should be enough. Go and be happy.

Boolit Master
    Okay, you are on a trail. There is a Grizzly bear ready to charge you from 30 yards. You have your choice of a Glock M20 and a M27 Smith. Both are loaded with 200 gr hardcast. YOU HAVE LEFT YOUR 12 GUAGE AT HOME. Which would you choose to keep the bear off you? The better trigger pull of the Glock over the stiffer DA of the M27 and the more straighter recoil of the M20 so maybe you might get off one extra shot?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast