RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Glock in 18 years...

Boolit Master

First Glock in 18 years...

Had my FFL order me a Gen4 G29 yesterday. He says it should be here next week. I've been using either my S&W M&P40C or Ruger .45 Colt BH Bisley 5.5" for my woods carry gun. Loved the M&P, but felt just a tad undergunned with the .40 S&W in wolf and bear country and the .45 Colt is just a big, heavy hunk of steel best suited for horseback.

The G29 is just the perfect handgun for protection in the woods with 10 rounds of 10mm, or with a G20 magazine, 15 rounds of 10mm. I can shoot .40 S&W in it, I can get a different barrel for .357 Sig, or an extended 6" 10mm barrel for even higher velocity. The gun is eminently modular, reliable, and durable.

I sold my last Glock, a G31 (.357 Sig) that I had customized, in 1999. I then went to Walther, then Springfield Armory, then S&W M&Ps for the past ten years.

The last Glock I owned...

Attachment 194614

Interesting choice....seems well thought out.

Boolit Mold
    Great choice. I'm eyeing a 41 or 40 myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Master
    I've had the chance to shoot a G20, I was pleasantly surprised. It manages the hearty 10mm very well.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Perma-Banned

I got a G20 myself. I always wanted a 10mm and figured it was a good choice. It is a great gun I am very happy.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I bought my son one of the long slide 10mm Glocks a couple of years ago for Christmas.
    He is big into hi-capacity autoloaders and absolutely loves it.
    It is a fun gun to shoot and is accurate.
    He has shot it enough to know that it is absolutely reliable...so much so that he sometimes uses it as his carry gun.
    To me it is just another polymer autoloader with little to recommend it as far as aesthetics are concerned. It is utilitarian but quite efficient at what it does...just has no style like a SA revolver or a quality DA revolver like a S&W or Colt.

No worries...my S&W M&P .40 is exactly the same. Boringly accurate, absolutely reliable...but it pales in comparison to my 1911s.

If you just look at Glocks as "Tools" you will start to understand them.

Gaston Glock was/is a Toolmaker. The Glock 16 is an Entrenching Tool used by the Austrian Military. He also has supplied their Bayonets, and other knives.

They are great tools and perform their jobs well.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Perma-Banned A.K.A Castmast

my sympathies to you falling off the wagon.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rundownbear View Post

my sympathies to you falling off the wagon.
    Best response ever!!!!!
    LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Banned

wish I would have bought a 29. I have a 20 and its a great gun but its BIG

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    wish I would have bought a 29. I have a 20 and its a great gun but its BIG
    Try the G40 if you want big :laugh:
    I will stick w/ the G20 for woods carry. Yes, it's a big gun. But w/ a proper holster I don't notice the weight. And said weight soaks up the recoil well. I have a 357 Sig conversion barrel for it and that's a hoot to shoot. It's a very versatile tool. There are other conversion barrels to be bought in all types of lengths and porting.

In the late 1990s, a friend brought his brand new 10mm Clock out to our farm for a picknic and shoot out. He was very pleased with the way the magazine could be quickly snatched and inserted in the pistol as it self ejected every 3d or 4th shot. He traded for a Delta Elite and is still smiling.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    We all know Glocks aren't any good and that they will give nothing but trouble while Springfield, Kimber, Colt, Smith and Wesson and Sig and Dan Wesson are all totally trouble free and will never ever give even the slightest hiccup in use.

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    If you just look at Glocks as "Tools" you will start to understand them.

Gaston Glock was/is a Toolmaker. The Glock 16 is an Entrenching Tool used by the Austrian Military. He also has supplied their Bayonets, and other knives.

They are great tools and perform their jobs well.

Randy
    Good analogy. I disliked Glocks a lot when they first came out but due to a career change where I'm required to wear one everyday, my opinion has changed. They are the best at "always working" regardless of the circumstances IMO. The good news is they can be made fancy and cool, just need some $$$.

Congrats on a good choice for woods carry.

Boolit Man
    Gotta agree with Taco, they are a tool. Designed to do a job first with comfort and looks an after thought. I was issued my first one 20 years ago. Wasn't thrilled in the beginning, remember wearing patches of skin off my hands during qualifications. But 20 years later when faced with a possible change to XD I was vocal about staying glock. It does what it was designed to do every time, that's all I expect out of it, I concentrate on doing my part.
    Learning by breaking something every day!
    Remington 700ML

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Don't worry, someday Gaston & Co. will actually achieve perfection:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned

ill ruffle some feathers and say it this way. Maybe after over a 100 years the 1911 will someday achieve perfection without spending 2k on customization and reliability work. Truth be told a 500 dollar glock runs as good or better then anything that comes out of wilsons or les baers shop. sure aint as pretty though if that matters to you.

Boolit Master

ill ruffle some feathers and say it this way. Maybe after over a 100 years the 1911 will someday achieve perfection without spending 2k on customization and reliability work. Truth be told a 500 dollar glock runs as good or better then anything that comes out of wilsons or les baers shop. sure aint as pretty though if that matters to you.
    You might ruffle some but, "there's iron in your words!"

Lefty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master
    I will agree that you can spend a lot of money on a 1911 to customize it if you like, but my Springfield only required about $50 worth of polishing of the feed ramp and an 18lb recoil spring to become extremely reliable with 230gr Golden Saber factory loads(my chosen carry load) and my handloads that I shoot by the thousands.
    On the other hand, my nickle Colt Combat Commander has been completely reliable out of the box since the day I bought it with the exact same loads. I bought it used but unfired in its factory box.

The Glock in 10mm that I bought my son has been completely reliable from day one. So he got a completely reliable Glock as a gift that he absolutely loves and I got two 1911s that with roughly $50 of upgrades between them have been my chosen carry guns for years(in the case of the Springfield, as many as 30 years). I have had the Colt for probably less than 10 years. The only time either has failed is when I ran a test on the Springfield and shot about 3000 rounds through it without any thing more than spraying it with GunScrubber and putting a bit of oil on the slide once or twice, just to see how long it would run before it hiccupped.

The point is, you can get a perfectly reliable 1911 without spending anywhere near $2000 in upgrades and customization.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    As you have probably read in my thread about it, I bought a Kimber Micro .380 awhile back. Very nice pistol that cost $100.00 more than my Glock 42. The Micro is a great shooter, just as accurate as the Glock. Unfortunately it developed some failure to extract and self-ejecting mag problems and so had to go back to Yonkers for service. Like the Colt Mustang, the Micro is a sweet little pistol but has some nagging problems that were never completely resolved. If the Micro doesn't come back fixed 100% it will be replaced by a Sig P238 or a second Glock 42.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast