Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 700X in the military rifle.

700X in the military rifle.

Hi all!

Anyone use the 700x powder in military rifles? I'm looking for a Unique equivalent and 700x is available here, is this a good choice?

Thank you

Boolit Master
    Cartridge? Rifle?
    Lyman 48 has load data for two cast boolits in .308
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

My Lyman old Lyman Cast Bullet Handbooks have 700X load data for just about everything. Post your cartridge and boolit and I'll scan and PM whatever I can find. I've often used minimum charges of 700X for case-forming and bore-lapping.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

Lots of info and 700X listed here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Rifles-Article

I have only used 700X under a 130 gr. boolit in .303 British and it worked well for me but that was the last of the 700X in my stash.

I'm looking to replace unique loads in 303, 7.62 nato, 7.62x54 and others. I'm not looking for specific data but experiences from other users who have used 700x in military rifles.

Boolit Grand Master

I use 700X in rifle loads. 700X is a lot closer to Bullseye/Red Dot in burning rate than to Unique. I just bought an 8 pound keg of 700X. I use it mostly in pistol cartridges (32 H&R, 38 S&W, 38 SPL, 44 SPL, 45 ACP, 45 CBA, 45 Schofield and 45 Colts) but do use it for 800 to 1250 fps cast bullet loads in rifles.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    If 700x is available you should try some, I think it is just as versatile as Red Dot but not near as much load data. I've used it almost exclusively for trap loads till i quit shooting trap, now I've started trying it in the 30-40 and 30-06. So far my loads are around 9-10 grains,enough with PB bullets, have not tried with GC bullets yet. Both Lee and Hodgdon show the burn rate between Red Dot and Green Dot so I think I'll try to SLOWLY work up to the famed 13gr RDot load. If it doesn't meet my expectations it will get used in .45acp and .38sp, where I know it shoots well.

Boolit Master
    700x was one of the few powders to be found in my area during the great powder shortage a couple of years back.

I believe that it's made in Canada now, so hopefully it can avoid some of the potential future import issues of Australian made powders.

for data and comments, search for articles by C.E (Red) Harris as well.
    We have used 700x in 44 Special, 44 Magnum, 38 Special, and 45 Colt all with excellent results.

It is a fine investment
    Last edited by Ken in Iowa; 04-22-2017 at 03:48 PM.

Boolit Master
    I've used 700X in my M1 (30--06). I've tried with with 150 grain FMJ/BT and also with 170 grain cast bullets. I used the loads straight out of Lyman Cast Handbook edition 3 and they worked fine (even the substitution of a jacket bullet for a cast bullet at 150 grains). Seems to work fine-- although at those cast velocities I didn't get the action to cycle.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Buddy
    12Gr under NOE 198Gr Spire Point in 303 is my success in 303 Brit.

Not much of luck in 3 rifles in 8x57.3-4 group and that's it.

Boolit Master
    In Handloaders Digest #11, C. E. Harris wrote an article called "The Load." This articles describes a "universal" load of 13 gr of Red Dot for strong rifles. This load has been widely used with much success and I have not seen any reports of problems.

700X behaves very much like Red Dot. In many applications, the same charge will give nearly identical performance.

They are both old fashion, fast burning, easy to ignite, low density flake powders. The 700X burn rate is listed as just a smidge slower, so it would be pretty low risk using using Red Dot load data. If your loads will be fired in something like a strong bolt action, the guidance for "the load" should work fine. For guns not quite as robust, possiblly the start the 700x a little less and adjust based on results.

Both of these powders are great for anything from "mouse fart" loads (loads that barely get boolits out of the barrel) up to more medium power stuff like "the load" and anything in between.

I have used both in a variety of applications. For my uses, I was more interested in lower power levels and smaller cartridges (pistols, 30-30 and 30 Herrett). Powder charges for my loads have been more in the 3 to 7 gr range.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P Flados View Post
    In Handloaders Digest #11, C. E. Harris wrote an article called "The Load." This articles describes a "universal" load of 13 gr of Red Dot for strong rifles. This load has been widely used with much success and I have not seen any reports of problems.

700X behaves very much like Red Dot. In many applications, the same charge will give nearly identical performance.

They are both old fashion, fast burning, easy to ignite, low density flake powders. The 700X burn rate is listed as just a smidge slower, so it would be pretty low risk using using Red Dot load data. If your loads will be fired in something like a strong bolt action, the guidance for "the load" should work fine. For guns not quite as robust, possiblly the start the 700x a little less and adjust based on results.

Both of these powders are great for anything from "mouse fart" loads (loads that barely get boolits out of the barrel) up to more medium power stuff like "the load" and anything in between.

I have used both in a variety of applications. For my uses, I was more interested in lower power levels and smaller cartridges (pistols, 30-30 and 30 Herrett). Powder charges for my loads have been more in the 3 to 7 gr range.
    Perfect! Exactly the info that I was alluding to.

thank you all!

Boolit Master
    Just discovered my Krag likes 11grs. of 700x and Saeco #315 bullet, 8 shots into 7/8in. with two fliers to 2-1/2inches. These were hand dipped , I'm going to weigh the charges and bullets and try 200yds tommorow

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    Just discovered my Krag likes 11grs. of 700x and Saeco #315 bullet, 8 shots into 7/8in. with two fliers to 2-1/2inches. These were hand dipped , I'm going to weigh the charges and bullets and try 200yds tommorow

in a 30-40 krag with a 21'' barrel??

Boolit Master
    It's a 30'' rifle with a minty bore, hard to find as lot of the ones i see are old Legion guns with rusted bores. I put on a Redfield receiver sight, the one that attaches to the mag cutoff hole, so you dont have to drill and tap an original rifle.

Boolit Mold

12g 4227 under 150--170 lead. 1 inch groups at 100 yds out of a savage bolt iron sites.
    precision= measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with chainsaw
    The only constant is change.

Boolit Buddy
    700X works well for pilinkers in most of my rifles (needed to dial each one in) M41 Carcano, M96 Swede, K31,No1 Mk3 Enfield and now my 91-30 MN.
    Cheap & fun

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by mrrch View Post
    700X works well for pilinkers in most of my rifles (needed to dial each one in) M41 Carcano, M96 Swede, K31,No1 Mk3 Enfield and now my 91-30 MN.
    Cheap & fun
    Sorry to revive a old thread, but this might answer my exact question. I have many the same rifles and a bunch of 700X. Are these for super light loads or for something a bit more powerful? I want to make some nice really light loads to take people like my mom and GF out to the range to shoot something besides the 10/22.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    These are typically not super light, but with the recommended charges, seldom exceed around 1300fps. If you want more, it is the wrong powder.

Super light would be more akin to subsonic loads. This powder will work for that, but is a different animal. They are tricky to do just right. The loads on this thread are basically gallery loads, light but not subsonic. Usually a little bit of a sonic crack sound.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast