WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 700X in the military rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

700X is a faster powder more like Bullseye than Unique .
    When Bullseye and Unique disappeared in 2012 I used 700X and Accurate #5 as replacements .
    700X will stand in nicely for Bullseye and you can use it in places you would normally use Bullseye .

Accurate #5 seemed in 38 Special , 38 special +P and 357 Magnum loads to be a little slower than Unique ... I might be wrong but that's how it seemed . Not a bad stand in and I'm still playing with Acc #5 . Unique came back so I hoarded up on it .

Bottom line is you have to use what powder you can get . Good thing is data is available for just about every powder and there is a lot of overlapping in powder usages .

If you ever see Red Dot ...buy it ... that's another very versatile powder . Search the term " The Load: or what you can do with 13 grains of Red Dot " and read that article ... in fact , print it out and keep it handy ... Great Article !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 01-07-2022 at 02:08 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Old thread!
    We really need a Ar-15 subforum!

Boolit Master
    "Old thread!" Great observation, aren't you supposed to be back under the bridge?

Boolit Buddy
    behind the lines of enemy territory,60 miles from NYC

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    700X is a faster powder more like Bullseye than Unique .
    When Bullseye and Unique disappeared in 2012 I used 700X and Accurate #5 as replacements .
    700X will stand in nicely for Bullseye and you can use it in places you would normally use Bullseye .

Accurate #5 seemed in 38 Special , 38 special +P and 357 Magnum loads to be a little slower than Unique ... I might be wrong but that's how it seemed . Not a bad stand in and I'm still playing with Acc #5 . Unique came back so I hoarded up on it .

Bottom line is you have to use what powder you can get . Good thing is data is available for just about every powder and there is a lot of overlapping in powder usages .

If you ever see Red Dot ...buy it ... that's another very versatile powder . Search the term " The Load: or what you can do with 13 grains of Red Dot " and read that article ... in fact , print it out and keep it handy ... Great Article !
    Gary
    Good to know, my LGS has had a good bit of red dot for a reasonable price, next time I’m in I’ll stock up on it. And ya I wanted to do basically a gallery load that’s really light recoil, quite, etc. doesn’t need to reach out past 100 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmoline one View Post
    Thanks for the link! Will definitely be reading through it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    3.0 grains of 700x will shoot any milsurp .30 caliber lead cast Bullet at ranges to 50 yards for fun.
    And you can go to 100 yards with aiming higher for more fun.
    3.0 to 5.0 grains is the usual weight.
    But, start with 3.0 and see what you get.
    I have shot these for a long time and once you get zeroed in, they are even good small game loads, more fun than using a .22 cause you make them yourself.
    They are low velocity so you need to hold the rifle steady - follow through after to give the Bullet time to leave the barrel, so it makes you a better rifleman, kind of like the old flintlock shooters using the slow black powder loads.
    Sgt.Alvin York was one of those shooters.
    Good to tilt the rifle up before you shoot to settle the charge next to the primer for best accuracy.
    Use .32 cal cast pistol slugs sized to .310 or .311 for .30 o6, and .308 cal and size same bullets .312 to .314 for moisin rifles and .303 Brit..
    Light lube on bullets is always needed.
    5 grs of 700x will shoot much flatter, but much
    more power.
    All good small game loads too.
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 09-21-2022 at 05:53 AM.

Boolit Master

Czech Persian 98/29 long rifle 29" bbl.
    170 gr flatnose RCBS .323"
    12 grs 700X
    50 yds
    7x long eye relief scope

The rifle much prefers heavy Lyman 323471 215 grs. (I shoot the NOE equivalent).

Since about 1998 when I bought my first jug of military surplus 700X ( it was used in 50 cal. blanks), it’s my number 1 used powder. When my son was on a trap team for 7 years, I went through about 12 lbs. every 16 months. Still use it for 12 and 20 gauge. It’s my cowboy action powder for everything but 38 special as it’s bulky and not position sensitive. It doesn’t meter well for the small 38 special charge. It’s my powder for standard 45 acp for sub machine gun use. It works in 9mm. Like above, I have used the 3 grain load for 30-30 in my rural back yard and the 115 grain 32-20 bullet. Lyman’s first smaller cast bullet handbook of 1973, had a 700X load for about every rifle. I use unique to get just a bit more velocity for those loads as my main range is 200 yards. I understand that unique is hard to find these days so I go sparingly with it. Long love 700X!

Boolit Buddy
    Shot some Krag with 120 gr .32-20 PB/PC'd boolets (sized .310") and had best groups with 7-8 gr 700X around 1400 fps at 50 yards. I'm going to load up some about 7.6 gr which is what my Lil' Dandy #16 rotor throws and a few at 8.5 gr to see how they do for trigger practice. I'm also going to try the same in my .308.
    Last edited by Krag 1901; 10-22-2022 at 02:36 AM. Reason: added sizing dia

Boolit Master

I've been working with 700X in my Enfield (No.4 MK 1) using Lee 155/160 gr. boolits. Getting 6" patterns. Still working with 1.3 cc's, not sure what the grain weight is. 1.5 is next.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12