Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Swedish m/67-89 Rolling Block 8x58R Danish

Boolit Master

Swedish m/67-89 Rolling Block 8x58R Danish

First off, I don't think I know everything about rolling block rifles. I also don't think I know everything about the 8x58R Danish cartridge, known in Sweden as the 8x58RD. But I do know alot about the 1889 Swedish rolling block that fires the 8x58RD cartridge. In this application of the 8x58R Danish cartridge I've seen big trouble with handloading information, so much so that I wrote to Norma Precision in Sweden and asked for help. Norma Precision knows more about the 1889 Swedish rolling block and its application of the 8x58RD cartridge than anybody, anywhere in the entire world. What information I disseminate here comes from NP in Sweden.

What prompted this concern was an article in Shotgun News on handloading the 8x58RD for the 1889 Swedish rolling block. It left my mouth agape in abject fright at what it was presenting. It may take years to hear of the rifles coming apart and the people being hurt or killed as a result of unresearched load data. I lost sleep over this irresponsible act of publishing such dangerous load data. I had some private discussion with other handloaders who I know and who I know to be very experienced and who's opinion I trusted. There was no one who wasn't as angry and concerned as I was.

During the research there was an incident in Sweden. An accident. A death. It concerned a 1867 rolling block that came apart. The breechblock split in two and lodged in the eye socket.... behind the eye socket.. of the shooter. It took a couple/three days for him to die. We have photos of the rifle that came with the permission of the Swedish national forensic laboratory to share in the interest of spreading information and caution on the subject of rolling block safety.

At 56 with a heart attack and quadruple bypass surgery behind me I don't need the stress that this has caused. Why has it caused such stress? Because I'm part of a corp.. and core.. of collectors and researchers of Swedish Mausers, Swedish military rolling blocks and other Swedish military firearms. I took point on this issue and I'll argue or debate it with anybody, anywhere.

Cartridges of the World by Barnes has bad data on the 8x58R Danish cartridge. COTW shows load data for 8x58RD with nothing to back it up. It states no application for the load data. If its 8x58RD then its A-ok for anything chambered in 8x58RD.

I can't know what prompted the individual who composed the article in Shotgun News to utilize COTW as his only reference. But it appears that's exactly the only reference he used. In the 42 years I've been involved in the shooting, handloading, collecting community this was without question the most irresponsible act I've ever seen, the most dangerous information published I've ever seen.

Commission Internationale Permanente pour l'Epreuve des Armes à Feu Portatives, C.I.P. for short, is the European equivalent to our SAAMI, Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute. As with SAAMI, CIP puts out cartridge drawings with some basic information on that particular cartridge. Norma in Sweden sent me their CIP drawing along with a couple other PDF files.

See below for the cartridge drawing sent to me by Norma of Sweden and pay attention to the maximum average chamber pressure:
    3200 BAR.

At sea level 3200 BAR is 46,412 psi.

In a rolling block built between 1867 and roughly 1876 and re-case hardened in roughly 1891 to 1896. 46,412 psi chamber pressure. This is about the maximum average chamber pressure for the small ring Mauser.

This is the half the problem that's causing the heartburn.

The Norma load data below is from an older 1970s era factory manual. Norma sent this to me. You'll notice down at the bottom, the 8x58RD data. In the far right columns are the pressures listed in both PSI and "atm" meaning atmospheres... BAR. See the numbers? The highest is 1950 BAR. Now go back and look at the CIP maximum average chamber pressure of 3200 BAR. The psi of 1950 BAR is 28,282. Do you see how nicely that agrees with the Norma loading data?

The 3rd image below is from the highly respected Norwegian Ladeboken (Load Book).

[translation]
    Test weapon; Carl Gustaf Remington Rolling Block 1872/93
    (m/1867-89 converted in 1893. Obviously a military rifle,
    but no further clues to whether sporterized or original.
    Barrel length suggests the latter.)
    Barrel length - 85 cm / 33"
    Rifling twist - 1-9 ½" / 1- 241 mm
    Rifling dia. - .323" / 8,20 mm
    Case - Bertram
    Primer - Remington 9 ½
    Maximum case length - 58,0 mm
    Trim-to length - 57,8 mm
    Factory ammunition chronographed in test weapon -
    --Norma 12,7 g (196 gr) Alaska 2,234 fps / 681 ms
    --Norma manufactured M1908 Spidsskarp (spitzer)
    (D Mantel type bullet) 12,7 g (196 grain) 2,283 fps / 696 ms
    [/translation]

Read this again:

Factory ammunition chronographed in test weapon -
    --Norma 12,7 g (196 gr) Alaska 2,234 fps / 681 ms
    --Norma manufactured M1908 Spidsskarp (spitzer)
    (D Mantel type bullet) 12,7 g (196 grain) 2,283 fps / 696 ms

How can this be?

COTW says the Norma factory ammo with the 159 grain bullet is 2,870 fps and for the 196 grain is 2,630 fps.

The preface of the Norwegian Ladeboken wasn't sent by Norma so I aquired it through a friend in Sweden, and he translated for me:

[quote translation]

The Danish military cartridge of 1889 is not a common
    sight today. The Danish Krag Jörgensen rifle is rarely
    used today, but the cartridge was chambered also in
    Danish, Swedish and Norwegian Remington rolling block
    rifles, and these are stumbled upon fairly regularly. Some
    people like to shoot these old rifles, so therefore we
    have included loading data for it.

Originally the cartridge was loaded with a compressed
    black powder charge, awaiting the final development of
    the smokeless powders. The first military cartridge had
    a 14,7 gram (226 grain) roundnose bullet, loaded to a
    (velocity) of about 485 meters/second (1,591 feet per second).
    In later smokeless loads the velocity was increased to 620 m/s
    (2,034 feet per second) using the same bullet.

In 1908 the Danes went over to the so called "spidsskarp",
    a cartridge loaded with a 12,7 g (196 grain) spitzer bullet where
    the velocity was a claimed 750 m/s (2,460 feet per second).
    The experience with this cartridge was, however, that it was too
    powerful for the rolling block rifles, and a reduced charge load
    using the Dane bullet was developed for these rifles.

Until the 1960's, Norma made a factory load in 8x58RD
    using a 12,7 g (196 grain) soft point and a claimed velocity
    of 680 m/s (2,234 feet per second) ,with respect due to the many
    rolling block rifles being used for hunting in Sweden. Norma also
    made a batch of M1908 spidsskarp for Denmark, using these
    same figures.

The loads presented here are being held to the same
    levels, and can be used in both Krag-Jörgensen and
    rolling block rifles. Original cases uses Berdan primers,
    but new boxer primed cases are available from Bertram.
    Loading dies are available from RCBS.
    [end translation]

So there you have it.

Dutch
    Ik ben van den Brink
    Last edited by Dutchman; 07-14-2008 at 04:55 AM.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

Dutchman,

thanks for bringing the nfo to another place.

Boolit Master

Last edited by Dutchman; 07-31-2008 at 03:35 AM.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Due to the almost impossibility of finding jacketed bullets, and the not great availablitiy of brass, the best thing to do is rebarrel it to something more useful such as 40-65
    Anybody need dies ,bertram brass, and a used swede barrel
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master

Don,
    We don`t need no steenkin` jacketed bullets

The Lee .329 boolit works well.

I have been using 8x56 brass in mine, with good results.

Jack

Boolit Master
    I got a Swede action a while back. I had it rebarreled to 45-70 and I ONLY shoot black powder in it.

Boolit Master
    I have one from Norway and I dearly love to shoot it, but I have always just shot B.P. pressure, the gun is 125 yrs old made in 1883 do not think I want to push it. Anyhow to just punch paper WHY?
    I am old don't want anyone pushing me I might break.

My point on the jacketed bullets is that's usually where folks try to crowd things.
    The barrel on mine slugged at .317, so an old Ideal mold I had around for the 32 special would sort of work, but the bertram brass splitting from the shoulder to the web upon firing, made the final decision for me about rebarreling.

Now that the last batch of the things brought in went from 250 a pop to 750 I'm not sure there's gonna be alot of em out and about anyways.?

Boolit Master

Bertram brass is undersized in the body. We did some measurements and its lousy brass. I shoot the converted .45-70 brass from Buffalo Arms.

I sent an original Norma m/89 8x58R empty case and bullet to Grafs so they could brainstorm with Privi Partisan in Yugoland. Don't know what's happening with that but at least it may be in the works.

I've heard of another 1867 sporter that had a stepped military barrel that measured .318" in the grooves. I figured it was a Danish Krag barrel as it was chambered in 8x58RD. Bad combination of black powder action and a smokeless cartridge.

Dutch

45-70, or 45-90 wouldn't work in this one without thinning and trimming the rims just a touch. 762x54 brass would work , blown out, but came up a tad short.
    I'm thinking if a fella got one of the things that was in good shape, the out fit might just make a heck of a Schuetzen rifle,maybe.

Boolit Master
    Dutch, has anyone ever contacted norma and asked about a possible re-run of the 8x58R cartridge cases?. Or would it be too expensive or require a run of lets say 10,000 cases for them to even consider it. Just curious. Frank

Boolit Buddy
    Use the 8X56R brass and don't look back. It is a bit short but it works just fine for me. I have made some brass out of 45-70 brass- it is a lot of work and was about the same length as the 8X56R. I have one that is a sporter with a fair barrel. I have messed with some Uniwue and 2400 loads and 205 gr cast sixed to .325 with not much success. Currently, the bore is soo rough it takes me about an hour of scrubbing to get the bbl some what clean. I may shoot a bit of jacketed through it to se if I can smooth it up.

As far a load data, I have been told that low to moderate 303 Brit or 30-40 loads are OK- (it is your gun and face, so you be the judge).

BTW, the correct dies can be had for a price from C&H tool and die
    Last edited by Hackleback; 07-31-2008 at 07:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Frank46 View Post
    Dutch, has anyone ever contacted norma and asked about a possible re-run of the 8x58R cartridge cases?. Or would it be too expensive or require a run of lets say 10,000 cases for them to even consider it. Just curious. Frank
    Not Norma but I donated an empty original unfired m/89 case and bullet to Grafs for them to forward to Privi Partisan for possible production. Haven't heard what the outcome was/is...

Dutch

Boolit Master
    Dutch, well one can only wish for new brass in that caliber. Maybe you'll get lucky and
    they will make a run of it. Frank

Boolit Mold
    New brass from Betrum Brass in Australia - I just bought 100 of them

Dies from RCBS - awaiting them

Jacketed 8mm bullets from Woodleigh. - i have the 196g and 250g versions
    www.woodleighbullets.com.au

Cat.No. Calibre No./Box SD BC Rec. Impact Velocity(fps) Bullet Length(")
    64B 196gr RN SN 50 .268 .315 1900-2700 1.128
    64C 220gr RN SN 50 .301 .355 1900-2700 1.233
    64D 250gr RN SN 50 .343 .403 1900-2700 1.356

My blonde Swede is going to shoot again!

Boolit Buddy
    The 8x58RD were never issued with BP-ammo, during initial trials BP were used but the first issued ammo was loaded with cordite.

Also be aware that the Rolling-Block used a weaker load than the Danish Krag, for a RB it is usually said to keep below 690m/s with a 196grs bullet.

I shot mine with pulled bullets from german and norwegian 7,92x57IS ammo and Vithavouri N140 powder, keeping it around 680m/s. Never bothered with cast bullets in this one, 7,92 is still so plentifull it is not worth the cost of a mold.

For cases, open up and fire-form 7,62x54R, they will be at tad short but that doesnt realy matter.