Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cerrotru c de p ???

Boolit Master
    You can get an extremely good comparative indication of alloy hardness by casting round balls in two alloys, rolling them gently off a hard shelf, and comparing the size of the flat made by hitting a hard surface. I doubt if any tester that doesn't incorporate a strong magnifier or micrometer would be as sensitive.

Orange county and a cabin in the mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    You can get an extremely good comparative indication of alloy hardness by casting round balls in two alloys, rolling them gently off a hard shelf, and comparing the size of the flat made by hitting a hard surface. I doubt if any tester that doesn't incorporate a strong magnifier or micrometer would be as sensitive.
    WOW. That's about as low teck as it gets and would serve my purpos quite well. Problem. I don't have a round ball cast. VERY stupidly sold two of them years back thinking I'm NEVER gonna do this?? What a dummy. That and a press. SOMETIMES. Grrr. Anyway thanks. Great idea. Casted a bunch of .223-61 Elvis. They came out perfect. Can't wait to powder coat em. Thanks to everyone. I'm hooked!!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by natty bumpo View Post
    Looking at the cabin tree hardness tester. Looks like more than i need. Back in high school shop class we had a pen looking thing that you push down on the material with which caused a pointed tip to strike leaving a mark. The deaper the mark the softer the material. Anyone know what that tool is called? Sounds like what I need. Don't need to shoot a rabbit with an elephant gun. I just need to know if bullet a is harder than bullet b. The rest can be determined when I shoot a few into sand bags and see what happens.
    Squeeze together in a vice and the softer boolit will compress the most.