2 15.38%
  • 30-30

5 38.46%
  • Other

6 46.15%

Thread: What caliber for smokeless patching

Boolit Buddy

What caliber for smokeless patching

Let's say you had the opportunity for a gun dedicated to smokeless patching with a 26" barrel. What caliber (in a bottle-necked case) would you choose and why? I am still leaning towards the .338-06 AI but am still able to be swayed. Whatever I do choose will be properly throated for PP.
    Last edited by Dryball; 04-11-2017 at 12:47 AM.
    Domari Nolo

Boolit Master

I prefer the .30 cal. Easy to do and works well.

Boolit Master
    would have to be 32 win or 35 Rem = because I like bigger bullets = bigger bullets kill stuff deader
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Master
    30 wcf. Because there is a powder available for this cartridge that measures to a full case. Having that full case of powder is just one of the many original tried & true Step's in P/P ing that does make a significant difference in accuracy. i.e. grouping tightness.

Of the options offered in your poll, the .30-30 and .30-06 would be my prime choices though I use a .30-40 as my primary big game gun with PP cast bullets. The long case neck is, for me, the prime factor in my cartridge choice. I have tried .300 Sav and .35 Rem without much luck as the base of the bullet is below the neck and bullet is damaged on firing with resulting inaccuracy.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryball View Post
    Let's say you had the opportunity for a gun dedicated to smokeless patching with a 26" barrel. What caliber (in a bottle-necked case) would you choose and why? I am still leaning towards the .338-06 AI but am still able to be swayed. Whatever I do choose will be properly throated for PP.

The chambering you are considering is WAY overbore for a cast bullet rifle. Good suggestions have been given by others. Find a .35 bore, and be a happy camper.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I went other because I've been to all of the above .
    I've been down to 6.5 and up to 45 . The Savage throat was both a blessing and a pain in the 06' as it was well used in the rifle I had . It paid dividends in the 308 and did good things . I only ran a few for the sake of investigation of concept for a 340 Savage in 30-30 . Twist killed me in the 6.5 before I could realize the potential of the WM and a 120 gr bullet . The 7mm is in the same boat generally with the 6.5 ,but with a small case and pressure limits holding a 140 gr bullet to 22-2300 fps it worked well . The 45s are just naturals from Schofield to 45-70 anyway . Even the 45 Raptor showed up , a rimless 460.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    .35 Whelen, or maybe even .358 Winchester.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

In Remembrance

.338/06, .375 H&H and my favorite .416.Robert

I paper patch 0.358" bullets for my 9.3x74R so I don't have to pay Barns $1.00 each for his bullets.
    DRB #2276 President's Hundred 2021

Boolit Master
    I vote for 30-30 because its what I patch.
    I also make mouse fart loads as well.
    A 150-170 gn at 15-1600 fps is about 52 moa drop at 586yrds
    A 150 gn at 1000 fps is about the same at 328 yrds.

It will do what I want it to do say 80-90% of what I perceive the need for.
    There is always that longer shot or some such.

You will have to make your decision on what you think will cover most of the real work you need it for.

I think it will still handle mostly anything I can come across at a reasonable hunting range.

Anything past 150 -200 yrds is way to far to walk over to poke a dead animal.
    Hell seeing stuff that far is more of a challenge these days.

Boolit Master
    Not an expert in paper patching, but I've had really good luck patching the 45-70. For a bottleneck cartridge I would think the 30-30, 30-40 Krag or the 35cal variant of the 30-30 world be ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

I'm with you barrabruce, I have shot highpower silhouette with a 30-30 and cast bullets. It works great. Either grease groove or paper patched, it is easy to work with and quite effective. Especially with a properly designed chamber.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

30-30 for sure. If you want to hunt bigger that whitetails then go to a 35. 338 is a jacketed cal unless you want a limited selection of molds.
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Back from the dead !

I was looking for something else .
    I built a 7×6.8 SPC specific for the task .
    I shoot PP in 264 WM "light loads" into hot 6.5×55 loads .
    6.5 Japanese , where else does a guy get a .272 bullet ? Also why I was wandering .
    308,06',and 7.7 J soon .
    8×39 , it was supposed to be 7.62 but had a .305×.318 barrel .

I try to stick with cartridges that have readily available as cast bullets to patch up . 25-6.5 , 27-7mm are good examples .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .