Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: rcbs pro-melt warranty?

Boolit Bub

rcbs pro-melt warranty?

in my rcbs book it looks to be only two years? is this right? I thought it was lifetime.

It may say two years but call them and talk to someone I have never had a problem with rcbs they have great customer service and if it's something they can help you with they will and it will just make you a beliver in their products

Boolit Master
    Most, if not all, of RCBS' electical and electronic equipment warranty is limited to 2 years. That's part of why I have no interest in purchasing one of the very expensive digital powder dispensing/weighing systems.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I haven’t ever had to use RCBS’s warranty but, I have heard several times that RCBS has repaired without cost many of their electrical products that were well over two years old. The best thing to do is give their CS a call and ask.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master

The Pro Melt warranty is only two years. I had a thermostat go out. I called them up and there is a charge to get it fixed. If memory serves it was 40 something bucks plus shipping.

Boolit Grand Master

The Pro-Melts are very reliable. I don't believe that we can ask ANYONE to warranty electrical equipment forever. The warranty price is "built in" - the Pro-Melts are high enough priced as it is...

The main thing I would look for is that PARTS are available. Now that IS important.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Bub
    well, I have heard two sides , one says it only two years (RCBS) and other people who say they sent it in and was no charge, I have a chance to get a broken one cheap (broken- it only stays on for 5-7 min then shuts off) and just didn't want to sink a fortune in something I won't like. are they really worth it?

Boolit Bub
    It depends how cheap. The RCBS warranty is excellent. I have never used it on a furnace but their reloading components they make good on. The only question they ask is what is your address so we can send the package. The RCBS furnace is really a joy to use.

Boolit Grand Master

Only YOU can decide what anything is worth to you. I have two of them - one is probably thirty years old and the other I bought used (for a good price) a couple of years ago. Both of them really work well. Frankly, I couldn't ask for more. I have done, literally, over a hundred thousand bullets with mine.

They'll do everything you expect from the specs. Whether they are worth it to you is another matter.

You can remove the rivets, carefully spread the sheet metal and lift it off. Then you can get to all of the internals and check it out. Sounds to me that you either have a bad connection or the therm is bad. RCBS will probably sell you parts.

FWIW
    Dale53

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird1 View Post
    well, I have heard two sides , one says it only two years (RCBS) and other people who say they sent it in and was no charge, I have a chance to get a broken one cheap (broken- it only stays on for 5-7 min then shuts off) and just didn't want to sink a fortune in something I won't like. are they really worth it?

Why not just buy the thing and order parts to fix it?? I've had mine for over 20 years and have never had a problem. RCBS will help you but it sounds like a bad over temp or thermostat. They really are very simple heaters to fix.

They are worth every penny and more.

Boolit Buddy
    The RCBS furnace is a fine piece of gear. The one I use most was built in 1987 ... still going just fine!

Boolit Master

I sent an old Pro-melt back about 2 years ago and RCBS replaced the pot and the switch. No charge. All it cost me was one way shipping./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

bigbird,

After being a pro Lyman user for many, many years, then getting to use the Pro Melt, all I gotta say is "go for it"...........

When I joined a shooting club back in 1984, they had a ProMelt that was purchased sometime recently prior to my joining. We used the pot to cast scrap lead from the range when we weren't shooting, to make more bullets for our next sessions. We used and casted thousands of bullets with that pot over the years, and when our club disbanded due to PC issues, as well as the lead scares (we shot in the deep bowels of a cellar under an elementary school, which had venting btw), it went with one of the members when we divvied up the loot.

Anyway, I bumped into that member about 3 yrs. ago and he still had it. He wasn't using it any longer, but had casted several thousands of bullets after he left with it. He asked if I wanted to buy it, and I said "yeah, sure....how much?"......After handing over $100, l headed home with it, and with a little cleaning up, I plugged her in and she worked fine....just like the days when I use to use it back in the beginning.

The ProMelt is "the cadillac" of the standard pots available for several reasons;
    It has a stainless crucible, which btw is 22#'s instead of the average 20. And, it has a true thermostatic control system, instead of a limit switch. Also, there are two thermostatic points of reading from what I understand....but I'm not sure.

Broken or not, I'd buy it........at the very least you might be out a few bucks to get it fixed, and end up with a great pot still cheaper than a new one, and with much greater features.

Good luck,
    Bob

Boolit Bub
    ok, you guys talked me into it, should be on it way soon.

[IMG][/IMG]

Hell......I found a photo of the ProMelt......forgot I had it.

The old Lyman pot that needed refurbing was on the floor on the left. The other newer Lyman is up on the table. Between the two, I'm more into the ProMelt.

I got a ton of Lyman moulds and casting stuff, as well as some RCBS moulds, but the ProMelt is the best. She's got a little character, but she's still going strong.

Bob

Boolit Bub
    well it seems the warranty is only two years, they sent a email to me saying the switch is 43.00 and lablor is extra to put it in. so much for the lifetime warranty. oh well, didn't they get bought out? maybe that is why

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    I really miss mine!