Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 21222324252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: What mold did you get today?

Boolit Man
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unknown.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	303562Baco ...jim410420m4
    Last edited by RobP1; 08-27-2022 at 08:17 AM.

Picked up three molds while in Tulsa this past weekend.

Two used Lyman single cavity molds. They look to be in good shape and $20 each.

308-334: Per my internet searches, this appears to be good for 1903A3.
    320-366: Per my internet searches, I might be able to use this for my 8mm Maser if it doesn't drop to small. If it does, maybe I can PC to get the diameter up.

One New Old Stock mold:

Lyman 457-124: Didn't really need this one but didn't have any RN molds. So, thought I would give this one a try in my 45-70 Pedersoli Rolling Block. Might try it in my Marlin's as well. Found it with a 20+ year old sticker for $59.
    Last edited by SoonerEd; 08-29-2022 at 03:39 PM.

After shooting my Buddies bullets, bought the NOE 250-Keith for my 44's. Wanted the HG #503 but hate the wait time and NOE had one in stock.

Boolit Buddy
    Lyman 457124h from another member, it casts quite nicely. Already have a few loaded for my 45-70 for next weekend.

Boolit Master
    I picked up a 44 caliber Lyman "devastator" 250 grain hollow point mold and a bag of gas checks. It's 112 degrees outside right now, so it will be next week before I can try it out.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Our last “ever” group buy, MP .402, 170 grain, HP mold, showed a couple hours ago. FedEx did a number on the box but the mold looks great like all MP molds I have bought. I stripped it down and am cycling it in the over a few times to build up some patina. Figured I would try the deep pin first. Then a few penta. Going to try 16/1 pewter and pure lead with a BH of 7.5. I’ll PC it and run it in my Glock 20. Should be a hammer.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-08-2022 at 10:01 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Not today, but a few days ago received a couple of 2-cav moulds in super-nice condition from a member here; 356242 and 41032.

I tin all my molds. I just like to run them way to hot. Figured I’d try and put a patina on my new mold this time around that’s a little more build up than some heat cycling in the oven. I used vinegar and salt mixed. I suspended the mold above the hot solution for an hour or so. Had some darker spots and a little turquoise coloring so I wiped it off with a paper towel soaked in the solution. I did heat cycle it afterwards but don’t think it made it much darker. Should hopefully keep tinning at bay for a while.

Boolit Master
    Have you tried a brass blackening chemical? I think Birchwood Casey makes it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I tin all my molds. I just like to run them way to hot. Figured I’d try and put a patina on my new mold this time around that’s a little more build up than some heat cycling in the oven. I used vinegar and salt mixed. I suspended the mold above the hot solution for an hour or so. Had some darker spots and a little turquoise coloring so I wiped it off with a paper towel soaked in the solution. I did heat cycle it afterwards but don’t think it made it much darker. Should hopefully keep tinning at bay for a while.
    That looks about as good a patina as I've been able to get. Miha's brass is hard to tarnish.

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    Have you tried a brass blackening chemical? I think Birchwood Casey makes it.
    It isn't durable, it wears off with use. Tripplebeards patina will last.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Buddy
    I finally found a long sought after Lyman 358101, baby wadcutter. Always wanted to try something like this in a few 38 Spl revolvers that reside here. Especially the S&W 12 and 37 Airwieght snubbies, that I found in the past few months. Like to make some easy/ light loads, to get these 50+ yr old revolvers making holes in paper again! Bill in MA

Boolit Master

Although they’ve been sitting in my inventory for years, I used two hollow point molds for the first time this week. One is a Lee 158 grain .358” SWC and the other is a Lyman 457122E.

My 4,000th post. Only took me 15 years.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

I was at the Army Navy store Friday. Got a lee .356, 125 grain 2R mold in with box for $4.95!!! I also picked up Redding 300Win mag 2 die set for the same. I went back yesterday to pick up a couple bar stools. I found a box marked $9.95. It had 6 Do it sinker and jig molds and a cigar box that had some 9mm cast boolits and a few dummy rounds loaded up without primers! I also found a couple of 223 boxes for .95 cents, an orange Plano ammo box for $4.95, camo bibs for $3, and 2 live traps for $9 and $3! Monster score! Never see hunting stuff there. Musta got lucky.

Boolit Master

RCBS 38-150 KT with Handles!!
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Lee 6 cavity .526 RB, what a dandy size

Boolit Bub

Finally it has arrived it has arrived, ordered a mold from LBT almost the first of the yr, for my 1952 (IIRC) Rem 721 in 257 Roberts, it is 120 gr spire point to load Up something that will be mid range velocity compare to the Rem 117 yr spire points I have been using, also revive the BHN tester, time to get some boolits made and get to the reloading bench this winter.

Well Al dangled the carrot and I bit. I don't have it yet but I just ordered a 224 gr SWC 44 4 cavity just today. I can't get my 4" S&W 29-2 to shoot low enough to zero at 25 yds so I am going to try a lighter, faster boolit. A bit of good ole' dirty Unique should do the trick with this little jewell of a mold.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    RCBS 38-150 KT with Handles!!
    Is there some problem posting a video of the mold I just received??? Posters post pictures why was my video deleted??

Moderator please reply.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    My latest mold is the Lee 6 cavity 124 grain TC. Boy I love this mold! It worked like a champ. Took no time at all to cast ~500 boolits out of rendered backstop scrap. Most of them will be powder coated to be used in 9mm and 38 special.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leemold.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	305654

It seemed like this mold, with the smooth sides, cast much better than the similar design with the tumble lube grooves. My theory is the tumble lube grooves cause turbulent flow which causes laminations. The smooth walls on this mold worked like the combustion chamber in a Hemi, allowing laminar rather than turbulent flow of the melted alloy. At least that's my theory.

If it didn't have the beveled base I might even drill out the lube grooves entirely on this design. It would be easy enough to do on a drill press. But I guess that is a moot point.
    Last edited by Charlie Horse; 10-15-2022 at 09:49 AM.

Boolit Master
    After waiting for years for it to come back in stock I was finally able to get a Saeco #081. I've wanted this mold for 8x57 Mauser for a while. Now all I have to do is wait for the mold handles to show up.

Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 21222324252627282930313233 LastLast