Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox

Thread: SEACO mold parts - Rookie mistake

SEACO mold parts - Rookie mistake

Last week I made a low ball offer on a SEACO mold on ebay WITH OUT READING ALL THE DETAILS !!!. and obviously it was accepted by the seller.
    FF to today, a box was delivered, I open it and quickly realize who is the moron in this story, the mold is "block only" ! no sprue plate no screws and worst of all it uses screwed on handle type, can't even find them on SEACO catalog.
    so here is a couple of pictures, Does anyone know where I can find parts for this mold?

by the way I tried calling REDDING / SEACO but the Company is out for Thanks Giving.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	307139Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	307140
    Last edited by Nofir55; 11-22-2022 at 01:56 AM.

Cast Boolits Owner

It appears the mold has been modified (machined) to be used in a casting machine such as a Magma. Good news is that standard Seaco handle, spruce cutter and attaching hardware should still work with your mold.

Rob
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master
    Redding remains your best source for getting it fixed right. The Thanksgiving holiday doesn't last but a few days.

This is what it should look like with the correct handles:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Redding+38...%2FRB62325.jpg

Redding/Saeco molds are premium molds. I've got a half dozen and every one casts great.

Post a want to buy here and you may find a set of handles for less than new. All the normal catalog houses should have the handles. They may even have the sprue plate and screws.

Like here:

https://www.buffaloarms.com/saeco-do...-sae29020.html

And I think Redding is closed for the first week of deer season in NY. Gotta love a company that states right on their website that they're going hunting.
    Last edited by 15meter; 11-22-2022 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by No_1 View Post
    It appears the mold has been modified (machined) to be used in a casting machine such as a Magma. Good news is that standard Seaco handle, spruce cutter and attaching hardware should still work with your mold.

Rob
    Well I guess I have to count it as a "tuition to the university of life".

Thanks 15meter
    1- the weird thing is that it doesn't have usual vertical holes to attach the handles, only two horizontal screws!
    2- the axis point on the buffalo arms web site is not matching, so the holes of the sprue will not align with the bullet holes of the mold. (how ever I didn't know "Buffaloarms" before so thanks, it looks like a good source)

Cast Boolits Owner

I did not notice the missing holes which would allow the Seaco parts to work. It may need to go back to the selling or trading pile unless you want to buy a casting machine to use the mold - I have bought rifles because I have brass…..
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master

I suspect you can find someone who can drill/tap if needed. Maybe Magma would do it. I'd be inclineed to sell it off and get one that is all correct. What bullet is that?

I couldn't see the holes for the mounting screws either, I just attributed it to poor resolution of the tablet I was on.

I would suspect that drilling two holes for the mounting screws would not be hard if you have a decent drill press. Same with the sprue plate mounting hole.

If it was mine, I'd show up at Strib's or Ernie's with a six pack and put my feet up and watch one of them do it on their Bridgeport while we had a beer or three

That should be freely machining steel the will drill and tap easily. I doubt if they are hardened in anyway, at least I have not heard of molds being hardened. I've got enough aluminum molds that work just fine to believe no one in their right mind would harden something that doesn't need it. Gotta keep the bean counters smiling.

Boolit Master

That is a Magma mold that fits the Master Caster or the Bullet Master automatic casting machine.
    The Bullet Master uses 8 molds, you will need 7 more molds if you decide to buy a Bullet Master.

I had 3 Bullet Masters and a Ballisticast, never got more than 3 running at one time!

Magma uses a Redding labeled mold? And what appears to be a Redding correct mold number?

That kinda surprises me. Never dealt with anything Magma.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Magma uses a Redding labeled mold? And what appears to be a Redding correct mold number?

That kinda surprises me. Never dealt with anything Magma.
    Magma did not make molds when they first started. They modified current molds to fit their machines.
    They would get whatever molds you wanted and modify them.
    I had sets made by Lyman, RCBS, SAECO and Hensley and Gibbs.
    I used to buy “auto caster blocks” , there are no holes for handles or sprue plate and drill and tap the holes for the keys in the sides and drill and counter bore the hole for the sprue plate.
    A spring goes in the counter bore and a modified Allen head screw with a reduced lock nut holds the sprue plate on.

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    Magma did not make molds when they first started. They modified current molds to fit their machines.
    They would get whatever molds you wanted and modify them.
    I had sets made by Lyman, RCBS, SAECO and Hensley and Gibbs.
    I used to buy “auto caster blocks” , there are no holes for handles or sprue plate and drill and tap the holes for the keys in the sides and drill and counter bore the hole for the sprue plate.
    A spring goes in the counter bore and a modified Allen head screw with a reduced lock nut holds the sprue plate on.
    I knew they would modify your molds, didn't know about them ordering mold blocks. They probably got a better price buying in volume and what appears to be less machining.

I saw Bill Rogers casting operation working with Magma machines. He was running 38 Spl remanufactured ammo at the time with SWC cast bullets. Casting in one building and reloading in another building. Those casting machines are something to watch.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    The easy answer is buy a Magma caster. You know you want it.
    NRA Training Counselor - Instructor
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    FWC Hunter Safety Instructor
    NRA Life Member