RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: 44 Magnum Full Wadcutter Loads

Well thank you lightload for the tip on the lyman 158gr rn bullet. Lyman made several different rn bullets for the 38spl. I used to cast rn bullets from a lyman mold, the 358311. If I remember correctly it was very accurate.

Are you referring to the 358311 or the 358250???

Banned

You do not know my history with a SWC. I loved the original 429421 and the 358156. But I think guns were fit better long ago. I was 16 with the S&W 27. I hit a chuck in the head at 65 yards. short barrel and 2400 with a 358156HP. Nickle plated with peeled plating. I was given a pile of old .38 ammo and one stuck at the muzzle. I shot and split the muzzle. I sent it in and had an 8-3/8" ribbed barrel put on, Nickle stripped and blued. Cost $35.
    We iced fished for blue gills and the warden got mad when we tossed 1" gills on the ice. I packed them in the little frozen juice cans, took them 100 yards and from us and from prone, blew them up. Since then I have never seen a revolver shoot a Keith or Thompson shoot from any revolver like from the old 27 or 1956 flat top. Or the original S&W 29. I would say today the .357 is the hardest to make shoot. We ran over 200 different loads through a freedom 357 and it never would get close to the old 27. I found throats at .357 and groove at .3599. And out of round.
    But I still ask of what purpose is a full WC in a .44?

Banned

probably the same reason I shoot a full wad cutter in my 41 mag.
    50 yds is a long ways with a handgun for me.
    I could probably do better at further distances but I don't care to practice with a handgun that much.

I can kill ducks and geese out to about 75 yds easily with a shotgun or head shoot one with a rifle at 200.
    I'd put money down on a head shot with one of my lever guns at 100 yds.
    I spend my time with those.

handguns are short range messy affair type tools in my world, handy to have on the hip and effective when needed.

Banned

My primary deer gun is a six gun. OK, a 5 gun with most. Who cares? Need one shot anyway. Yes I have missed but never had a deer wait for another shot. i will never see a WC of use.

Boolit Master
    My question is this, why would what someone else wants to use be such a burr under the saddle of another.
    If these guys want to use Wadcutter bullets that should be okay. Does it make any sense? I don't know. Maybe they want to simply because they can. Heck I sometimes shoot a sized to .452" 520 gr bullet in an Encore 454 Casull. Why one may ask is because it is getting tougher and tougher to get adequate penetration on this newer paper targets are made of. Especially at longer distances than 25 yards. And since we all know an Encore won't stabilize that big bullet because it needs to be spun up because of the slow twist rate my 101.57FPS is too slow to spin it up and there is no way this side of the blue sky it can be done because it has been proclaimed impossible.
    So leave these guys alone, let them do what they want because they will anyway. Wasting one breath and typing fingers is stupid. It is like arguing with a woman or management of a company..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    My question is this, why would what someone else wants to use be such a burr under the saddle of another.
    If these guys want to use Wadcutter bullets that should be okay. Does it make any sense? I don't know. Maybe they want to simply because they can. Heck I sometimes shoot a sized to .452" 520 gr bullet in an Encore 454 Casull. Why one may ask is because it is getting tougher and tougher to get adequate penetration on this newer paper targets are made of. Especially at longer distances than 25 yards. And since we all know an Encore won't stabilize that big bullet because it needs to be spun up because of the slow twist rate my 101.57FPS is too slow to spin it up and there is no way this side of the blue sky it can be done because it has been proclaimed impossible.
    So leave these guys alone, let them do what they want because they will anyway. Wasting one breath and typing fingers is stupid. It is like arguing with a woman or management of a company..
    Love ya.

Super Moderator

Really?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    Really?
    Yes, so much truth. Ever explain to a supervisor at work? Or to the wife? It is like trying to teach a 6 month old to tie shoes or poop in the pot.
    I see many 6 month old guys here. Experience comes from reading a rag. That is if you can read of course.
    Einstein said you can't exceed the speed of light. Time slows for you as you go faster.
    Gravity is magnetizem so why does a strong magnet fall and not float? Beam me up so I can make things work that never will. Break the WC into molecules to re-assemble at the target.
    But I was born a burr and spent my life to disprove every single thing. Not a single thing ever posted or written has not been tested.

In Remembrance

I thought that this `Cow Pie Throwing Contest` of who is right or wrong was put to rest and this thread retired?Robert

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456