WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: 300 yard Prone

Boolit Master

300 yard Prone

Here is my pride and Joy.

It was a sunday morning 300 yard prone match. Mostly AR15 type, One M1 garand, My daughter shooting a TC contender with 223 rifle barrel and stock.

I was shooting a remington 700 VL in 22-250

I was using 18 grains of SR4759. Boolit is 225646 weighing in around 57 grains of pure linotype. Lube is the red stuff I got from LAR45. Its 50/50 with carnuba wax added.
    To get the accuracy I want, I have to weigh every charge. I also weighed the boolits within + or - .3 grains. The night before the match, I was weighing boolits and powder. I ran out of powder . I did end up with 25 good "Match" rounds. So I shot the first string of 20 with the not as good stuff to get my scope tuned in perfectly. I shot the second string with the good boolits and here is the target.

I have been neck sizing only for the last few months. The bolt was closing hard, and I figured out that was why. So I didn't worry about it too much until the bolt started opening hard too. I pulled the bolt out and saw It had a burr kicked up on the rear of one of the lugs. I stopped shooting 15 rounds into the second string. I didin't want to trash the bolt.

As it ended, my daughter beat me with the TC contender and she beat a few others there too.

The 10 ring measures 6", the X is around 3"

David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Target resized.jpg  
    Last edited by David R; 11-07-2005 at 09:31 PM.

Like the crows in Dumbo..."I be done seen about everything, when I see a burr on a rifle lug". Those things are supposed to be hard and slick going into another place that is hard and slick. What could cause a burr on a locking lug?

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Flying rocks. Can't be avoided for the most part, especially in an agriculture environment. ... felix
    felix

Banned
    Gaulding with raise a burr. If for some reason a hard chambering round or an excessive load....anything to cause hard openning of the bolt, with gauld it. Lack of lubricate comes to mind too. There should be a tad of lube on those lugs.

Joe

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Use dry moly. Powder or evaporating spray. Use nothing to collect dust. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    I polished the bolt lugs with a soft abrasive wheel on my dremel. I then marked the back of the lugs with a sharpie and worked the bolt. It seems to be engaging on both sides the same. Yes it did gall the right lug.

4 comments about my rifle, NONE on my fine cast boolit loading and shooting.

When I started shooting cast, I couldn't do that at 50 yards.

Guess I will have to pat my self on the back.

David

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by David R
    I polished the bolt lugs with a soft abrasive wheel on my dremel. I then marked the back of the lugs with a sharpie and worked the bolt. It seems to be engaging on both sides the same. Yes it did gall the right lug.

When I started shooting cast, I couldn't do that at 50 yards.

Guess I will have to pat my self on the back.

David
    Funny how that sometimes happens around here, no?

I don't care what anyone else thinks, I think you did one heck of a fine job. Only .22 CF I have is an old Navy Arms copy of the Remington #5 or #9 in .22 Hornet. I can't remember for sure. It's the "Baby Rolling Block" they sold back in the late 60's or early 70's.

I wouldn't even attempt cast in it. I don't have the patience or skill for those tiny moulds.
    Kudos to you, though, for a good job well done!
    Regards,

WE

I will have to second C1NPR. That is a group I'd be happy with in any caliber.

I'm curious. Would you post some pics of those boolits & mould.
    Stand on your hind legs and shoot like a man

Super Moderator

.............David, a very fine effort on your part. I am really glad to hear that you had your daughter shooting with you. It's neat that she beat some other shooters, too. I don't know how old she is but for kids, they need to see some positive results on occasion or thier attention wanders off to somehting else.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Thanks Folks

My daughter is now 17. She started shooting sporter rifle with me when she was quite young. I don't remember how old, but the first year she stood on a chair, rested the 22 on her left arm with her elbow on the station. The next year we took away the chair. The next year I made her hold the rifle up her self. The next year we took away the 50 foot timed and rapid target and gave her a 6 bull sporter target like the rest of were shooting.

Buckshot, it works both ways. I was divorced a while back, and my daughter was the one to get me back into shooting.

Sorry, no pic of the boolit, its a bore rider, tapered in the middle for the throat. See lyman 225646.

thanks
    David

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by David R
    I thought it was your daughter's target...... you did say she whooped your butt!

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Hi 5's & attaboys! My teen daughter only wants to shoot when I'm in front of her................Come to think about it, so does the wife............