Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 35 Remington rimmed

Hi John Taylor.
    Would you think a .303 based cast boolit cartridge made with .35 Remington dies would be a practical project for a 6.5 Dutch carbine?

Boolit Master

Hey old posts still have merit to discuss, possibly just a whole new viewpoint.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Having been a .35 Rem fan for many, many years, the idea of a rimmed version has always appealed to me as a way to permit reduced loads without having to have a special set of cases for them. Modifying my Dad's 336 to take a rimmed version would work; I got as far as testing an empty case to see if it would feed, (it will). But life keeps getting in the way.

Would I do it in a single shot? I doubt it - there are easier options.
    Last edited by uscra112; 01-25-2023 at 04:27 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Having been a .35 Rem fan for many, many years, the idea of a rimmed version has always appealed to me as a way to permit reduced loads without having to have a special set of cases for them. Modifying my Dad's 336 to take a rimmed version would work; I got as far as testing an empty case to see if it would feed, (it will). But life keeps getting in the way.

Would I do it in a single shot? I doubt it - there are easier options.
    Easier??? IDK... Worth it?? IDK
    I been loving my 357Herrett, Contender for a Very, ...Very, long time.. But, I only run 10" barrels in Contenders..

Easier is .357 Max.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Bub
    Val,

Old posts can be treasures. I often review them to 'refresh' my long lost memory.

So Q: re;
    "I'm having my .35-40 Maynard chamber rechambered to .35-.30-30 now so I can save shortening brass and use as formed, full length. .35 Rem. is 1.92" and .35-.30/30 is 2.04" length, and you can reload it using .35 Rem. dies if you only neck size cases."

Are you doing this so you don't have to chase 38-55 brass..?
    Because my 35-40 chamber was designed by Dan T. it was done so contemplating using 38-55 brass, that's what I use.

Is your 35-40 based on a different parent case?

THX

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by rjmelehan View Post
    Val,

Old posts can be treasures. I often review them to 'refresh' my long lost memory.

So Q: re;
    "I'm having my .35-40 Maynard chamber rechambered to .35-.30-30 now so I can save shortening brass and use as formed, full length. .35 Rem. is 1.92" and .35-.30/30 is 2.04" length, and you can reload it using .35 Rem. dies if you only neck size cases."

Are you doing this so you don't have to chase 38-55 brass..?
    Because my 35-40 chamber was designed by Dan T. it was done so contemplating using 38-55 brass, that's what I use.

Is your 35-40 based on a different parent case?

THX

Bob
    I'm doing the conversion to .35-.30-30 because my Darr barrel was supposedly .35-40 Maynard, and is not properly chambered. The chamber cast shows the neck is .350" so no way the .357" Darr 190 gr. bullet mold could be used without breech seating bullets. But no way other than a push seater to do that, and the too small neck leaves a bad lead into the rifling. The existing chamber also requires me to turn down the web above the base, and also turn down rims. So it's just overall a crumby chamber I don't like.
    I could rechamber to a number of choices, but the .35-.30-30 is kind of a no brainer, and makes things easier. I have hundreds of .32 Win. Spl. cases, and no guns in that cartridge, so they simply need to be fire formed, and can be used as is. Since I wont full length size them I can reload using my .35 Rem. die set too.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    I'm doing the conversion to .35-.30-30 because my Darr barrel was supposedly .35-40 Maynard, and is not properly chambered. The chamber cast shows the neck is .350" so no way the .357" Darr 190 gr. bullet mold could be used without breech seating bullets. But no way other than a push seater to do that, and the too small neck leaves a bad lead into the rifling. The existing chamber also requires me to turn down the web above the base, and also turn down rims. So it's just overall a crumby chamber I don't like.
    I could rechamber to a number of choices, but the .35-.30-30 is kind of a no brainer, and makes things easier. I have hundreds of .32 Win. Spl. cases, and no guns in that cartridge, so they simply need to be fire formed, and can be used as is. Since I wont full length size them I can reload using my .35 Rem. die set too.
    ================================================== ==================
    Sounds efficient..
    I had never heard of the 35/30-30

Thanks for the education

Bob

These are several cartridges I shoot, the 357 Herrett and 30 Herrett are on the right with cast, the very similar case middle left is the 358 MGP, a necked up 6.8 SCP. Middle right is the 357 Super Mag. The one to the left next right is the rimless 30 Herrett, or TAC 30. The far left is the pip squeak, 300 BO.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DABDAF8A-B911-4A50-A580-011798A5B008.jpg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 35 rem contender barrel that isn't all that with the 35 rem cast I am looking for something that I can do with a reamer that will make it better leaning toward a 358 win. . So following this thread closely .

Quote Originally Posted by rjmelehan View Post
    ================================================== ==================
    Sounds efficient..
    I had never heard of the 35/30-30

Thanks for the education

Bob

It was news to me Bob, and I thought one of those newer wildcats they've come up with at first. Then did some research and discovered it's one of those old wildcat cartridges and was first developed around 1900, or just after. I felt kinda stupid to discover it was that old and I'd only recently found out about it.

Boolit Bub
    Rapier,

That is quite the collection of 35 cal's.
    I am mostly a fan of straight case cartridges, although I have a martini cadet that someone
    chambered in 32 Win Sp. which turned out badly as the twist is too slow and it's too much cartridge for that little light weight rifle.

Boolit Bub
    Marlin,
    Given the plethera of 30-30 cases, in today's environment it makes sense.
    That being said I prefer straight wall cartridges
    Bob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12