Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Extended 38 special shell holder

Boolit Master

Extended 38 special shell holder

I'm sure this isn't a new idea, but since the 357 brass is 1/8 inch longer than the 38 special brass, why couldn't some make an extended shell holder that would hold 38 special brass 1/8 inch higher at the top of the reloading press stroke? You could set up the 38 special dies to load 38 special ammo based on the extended brass / shell holder elevation. By replacing the extended shell holder with a standard one you would have the 357 mag rim 1/8 inch lower. Wouldn't that eliminate the need to adjust dies when changing from loading one cartridge to the other, assuming you use the same projectiles in both & didn't have to full length size the 357 ?

Boolit Master
    Why not

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/312...ial-357-magnum

And if using a Dillon 550 or 650

http://ultimatereloader.com/2011/10/12/dillon-xl-650-quick-switch-kit-magnumspecial/

take care

r1kk1

Boolit Master

Your idea would work. This has been done historically by using a spacer washer between the press top and die lock ring, which gets you to the same place, but much easier and cheaper than a special shellholder. Search Midway for 'die spacer.'

Boolit Master

I thought about the spacer but would need one for each die. Also the time it requires to unscrew & re-screw each die every time you changed cartridges. I would think the real cost for an extended shell holder would be the same or less than three spacers @ $6.50 each. As long as you're loading same projectiles in both cartridges & don't have to tweak seating depth or crimp.

Boolit Master

You only need one for the seat/crimp dies.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

You still need to run your 357 cases up against the die when sizing them same as for the 38 Special. Because of that you would still need to adjust something somewhere since you can't just change the shellholder and have all three dies work correctly.
    The spacer/shellholder idea only works on the belling, seating, and crimping stations.
    Getting a U shaped washer of the appropriate size that fits under the belling/seating/crimping dies would be the most straightforward way to do it.
    I use a Lee Classic Cast Turret press and have a turret for each cartridge with it's own die set. I picked up the dies second hand so not that expensive.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    I thought about the spacer but would need one for each die. Also the time it requires to unscrew & re-screw each die every time you changed cartridges. I would think the real cost for an extended shell holder would be the same or less than three spacers @ $6.50 each. As long as you're loading same projectiles in both cartridges & don't have to tweak seating depth or crimp.
    how about buying another die set? No spacers or extended shellholders needed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by r1kk1 View Post
    thats what i did...twice!...2 separate heads.

for the dillon 650....and the lyman t mag turret press

Boolit Master
    Getting a company to make a special order extended shellholder in the height you want will cost more than a die set. I don't understand the issue of unscrewing the dies as you have to load something else or use the next die in the loading sequence. Cheap spacers can be found at a good nut and bolt store and take your calipers to measure thickness of washers.

If this is a turret press I would buy another head and die set. I just don't think there is a big enough market for this. I bought a progressive so I didn't run crazy into the night pulling the handle three or four times for each cartridge, especially pistol.

You will need a spacer for the expanding die, one for the seat die and one for the crimp die. Set the sizer for 357 Magnum.

take care

r1kk1

Boolit Buddy
    For my turret press, I use two sets of dies and two turrets, for my single stage press I use the Redding spacer and one set of dies. You only need the spacer under the seating/crimp die, the sizing die is the same setting

Boolit Master
    I beg to differ.....the spacer is required under two of the dies in a combination three die pistol set, when switching from Special to Magnum . Besides the seating/crimping die, you need one under the expander/belling die.

Winelover

Quote Originally Posted by r1kk1 View Post
    That is the way I do it. Not liking carbide sizing dies, I have steel die sets by RCBS in both 38 Special and 357 Magnum. Yes, they did make separate die sets once upon a time.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I use a LCT for my pistol reloading just like the tazman. I have separate turrets for each caliber, then I don't worry about it. That's the beauty of the turret, one for each caliber, no fuss no bother. Tazman gives good, common sense advice, it's smart to read and follow his suggestions.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Boolit Master
    It wouldn't work because the cartridge rim won't go up in the die, it would stop at the mouth of the die. Also, the .357 case is 1/10" longer, not 1/8".

Boolit Master

I use 1/8" keystock (2 pcs) to space my die between .38 and .357. Available at Ace Hardware for a few cents each.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle