Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite thing to shoot at the range?

Boolit Master
    Wasp nests with my SW 642 .38 snub!

About 1/10 gr Bullseye, under a case full of ground walnut shell, with a toilet paper wad pressed in to hold it all together. Red dot on the wasps at about 4', squeeze and no more wasps nest, just mush and bits of nest settling to the ground.

I have cleaned lots of nests from my soffits, and from under the gunnels of my boat that way
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master

my buddy and I shoot using sticks, kneeling at 100 yds. We start by shooting full round clays, then after they are broken up we begin on the small chunks that remain.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    Wasp nests with my SW 642 .38 snub!

About 1/10 gr Bullseye, under a case full of ground walnut shell, with a toilet paper wad pressed in to hold it all together. Red dot on the wasps at about 4', squeeze and no more wasps nest, just mush and bits of nest settling to the ground.

I have cleaned lots of nests from my soffits, and from under the gunnels of my boat that way
    Around here we have Bald faced hornets, i have seen nests easily the size of a basketball, the perfect medicine for these is a 2-3/4" 12 Gauge 1-1/8 Oz of no 8 or 9 Shot about 15-20 yards away. When these things sting it feels sorta like being lit on fire, especially in the fall before the first freeze when they are at their 'Hottest' you can actually feel them hit ya. This method would be rough on soffits and boat gunnels

steel, beer cans, paper.....
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Banned

We have used the pumpkins, gallon jugs of water( gonna try the frozen ones, that sounds fun), silhouette, zombies ( these are the favorite of our grandsons), and of course sight in targets. I want to try the exploding targets, golf balls and now the sidewalk chalk. We bought our grandsons each a Cricket single shot .22 lr and mounted a scope on each. The oldest GS at 8 likes the pumpkins, had 5 set out once, only one with a stem. I gave him basic training on using the scope, he took his rifle and in 5 shots chewed the stem off the pumpkin at about 25 yards and didn't miss a shot. He was about 5 years old then. Blew my mind, he is still dead on with his rifle.

Been using a lot of paper lately. We bought one of those black only laser printers that uses toner not ink. Fast, there are many many targets out there to be downloaded and printed.

Easiest is the airguns in the basement, which brings me to another favorite.

Spoons. I took 4 spoons, cheap 2nd hand store teaspoons, stainless mostly.
    Wrapped the handle around a drill bit for a mandril, cut off the excess. Threaded them onto a 1/4 inch shaft with pipe spacers and hung them in my air rifle bullet catch box. A repurposed and redesigned 2 drawer file cabinet.

Back of the spoons facing me, each one got some nice bright yellow, red, blue dots for aiming points out of finger nail polish. Hit one and it goe Clink whizzzzzzzzzzzzzz as it spins around 4-6 times.

Another favorite is simply a steel top off an electrical 4x4 junction box hung on a wire with another colorful target of fingernail polish painted in center. WhangClang she goes when hit.

Just makes you feel good.

But 5 in one ragged hole in paper works too.

Boolit Master

What is your favorite thing to shoot at the range?

After I work up a good load and set the sights I shoot steel plates almost exclusively. I have acquired a few AR500 plates over the years and just love the "ping." As a Christmas present I got a set of target holders that use just a regular 2x4 as a cross support. Once the wood gets all chewed up I just grab another of my scrap wood pile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Buddy
    Mostly paper plates and saucers, however the leftover watermelon with a .58 musket was pretty impressive.

Banned
    I like shooting man targets with my carry guns, especially the 45 autos & revolvers. I set them up in bushes, partially concealed behind trees etc at various distances so that I have a moving course, in & out, at close range to 25 or more yds.

Loads of fun & great practice.

Also do a rifle variation of the same exercise.

Boolit Grand Master
    We drink a lot of bottled water these days, and when refilled with a drop or three of food coloring, they make a wonderful geyser when struck by a fast moving round. I sometimes find onions in the dumpster behind my local grocery store. At 25 yards they blow into onion smelling confetti. It does make you hungry, though.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

At the farm one of Dads and my favorite targets in season were Zuccinni blossums. Not real reactive or visual tarhet but went along ways to limiting zuccinni breads and other zuccinni products.

Boolit Grand Master

NECCO WAFERS !
    Nothing like edible candy targets. What we don't shoot gets eaten on the ride back home.
    The only rule is "all the brown ones are Dad's " I eat them. (Once for my birthday I got 10 rolls of chocolate flavored Necco Wafers) . My next favorite are the black licorice flavored ones , the kids never liked these so I didn't have to make any "Daddy Rules" on those.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Ice balls. Fill balloons so they are 3-4". Freeze and take to the range in a cooler. Peel the ballon. Shoot, then shoot the chunks where they fall. They explode nicely but no clean up required.

Quote Originally Posted by dbosman View Post
    Ice balls. Fill balloons so they are 3-4". Freeze and take to the range in a cooler. Peel the ballon. Shoot, then shoot the chunks where they fall. They explode nicely but no clean up required.
    Smart

Not really on the range, I live in the rough hills of SE Ohio. All the deep hollows have rock
    outcroppings in them. In the winter ice sickles form on them. Depending on the freeze and thaw
    they can get 8-10 ' long. They "grow in rows" just like a shooting gallery. We start at tip and work
    our way up. Takes a 38 or bigger to shoot these. They can be big as a man's waist at the top
    sections, some time it takes a couple well placed shoots to bring them down. It's also fun to
    shoot them with rifles at long range.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Nobody mentioned shooting at the little army men toys from dollar store. Set em out at various distances and use air rifle. Sniper practice fun at a dollar . (They recycle ♻️)

Steel
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Zombies!!!

Boolit Master
    Steel plates,old vegtables old fruit, golf balls and logs about 18 -24in. long about 10-14 in. thick bustem up and get fire wood and reclaim some lead

One of my favorites is clay pigeons. I set them in the berm at 50 yards and try to chip away at the edges with my 10/22.

Pecking away at them and the broken pieces gives a challenge and more bangs for the buck.

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast