MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Doing the Forbidden for Informations' Sake,

ok sooo 8 lbs of lead ,approx. or $10.00 for a battery core ...
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Banned

those are mini ingots.
    probably less than 4 lbs.

Boolit Grand Master

It will be interesting to see your results. Be careful and Good Luck! Years ago, before the newer style batteries came along, I tried salvaging battery lead. I found it to be a high percentage of lead oxide and quickly decided it was not worth the trouble. Back then, lead was plentiful and cheap.

Moderator Emeritus

Problem is the gasses driven off during the smelt. I hope nobody is downwind for a long ways because some of them are super toxic! The recycling places use scrubbers to keep them out of the air!

The video clearly shows that the battery being dismantled is an older technology battery with removable cell vents so you can top it off with water. It's not the maintenance free type with doped plates that is reported to give off stibnine and arsine gases.

[QUOTE=308Jeff;3957911]This has been done recently by Grant Thompson.

Those guys are total idiots. No protection, melting lead sulfide? Used to have Exide plant here but greenies chased them out.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    The NRA had a warning about recovering lead from batteries in their Cast Bullet Handbook by E.H.Harrison.The danger is from the skimmed off dross.When it is exposed to moisture it forms stibine gas which has the same effect as nerve gas.I don't know if atropine would work as an antidote though.I believe there was at least one fatality when an individual opened a trash can that dross had been disposed of in.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Modern maintance-free automotive batteries are calcium-lead alloy, rather than antimonial-lead as used in larger fork-lift, marine and industrial batteries. The Ca makes it useless for our purposes due to the hea y drossing which occurs.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    very interested, have a friend with about 25 old batteries that are all busted open and the acid is long gone, they were piled behind his barn by his father and forgot about. been thinking since nobody will take them like this I might try salvaging the lead but I have been a little worried about the make up, it will be good to know what is in it.
    Take the used batteries to a scrap yard, take the money from the scrap batteries and buy lead. You will be way ahead on how much lead you end up with and from a safety standpoint.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Banned
    That is the problem with a thread like this. It has been proven that trying to use battery lead is associated with toxic gas and chemicals. Thanks to this thread people now think its possible to try to use battery lead. Good going. I would advise those thinking about smelting the battery lead to read the thread on battery lead that I and several others put a link to. Exercise common sense and take your battery collection to the yard for money then take that money and buy good clean lead.

Boolit Master
    The frying and muffin pans look to be teflon coated,I'd be very reluctant to melt or pour molten lead into them. I second the safety concerns especially the guy wearing flip flops/sandels.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    That is the problem with a thread like this. It has been proven that trying to use battery lead is associated with toxic gas and chemicals. Thanks to this thread people now think its possible to try to use battery lead.
    The real problem is people who insist on ignoring the wisdom, warnings and experience of others.
    The OPs mind is made up, in spite of the facts. His findings will likely confirm what everyone else said. Stay tuned.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

For those who can gain wisdom from the experience of others, you will probably do well in reloading if you take some care. For those of you that feel a need to pee on the electric fence to see what happens.... we want video and don't touch the flammable powders or primers and you should be safe enough.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Poisons and dangers aside it just seems like a lot of very messy, smelly work for what amounts to a handful of useable metal. I'll stick to wheel weights.
    I'm the gun totin, meat eatin', BIBLE readin', redneck conservative your mother always warned you about.

" Holes kill stuff. "

Boolit Master
    All I could think about reading this thread was the old poem:

"Johnny was a chemist's son
    But Johnny is no more
    What Johnny thought was H20
    Was H2SO4"

OP, i would strongly suggest you engage a professional hazards analysis of your endeavor.

I would further suggest that having a Federal Explosives License in no way qualifies you to understand the dangers of what you are about to attempt. This is not a concern about explosion, but a concern about harmful vapor formation and release which can be deadly or permanently debilitating to people who inhale said vapors. A masters degree in chemistry would be more apropos.

And, as has been pointed out, one of the dangerous compounds may form days, weeks or years later if the dross is kept dry and uncontaminated and then subsequently exposed to water.

I know you don't want finger wagging. But you have provided no bona-fides that indicate you are actually qualified to understand the hazards of what you are about to attempt. And worse, you have provided credentials you think qualify, but don't.
    My isotope lead page: http://fellingfamily.net/isolead/

Seems like a lot of work for little gain. The trade in value of used batteries seems higher than the amount of usable lead plus the effort & cost, 5# of baking soda?
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    Melted it down today. Was pretty breezy so no issues with fumes.

Out of probably 20 lbs of crud in the pot, I got 3 lbs of lead total. Just nowhere near enough liquid to even think of fluxing.

The ingot is purple identical color to pure lead, but smoother in appearance to stick on ingots.

Next step is sending it off to be tested.

All in all, it's nowhere near worth it for 3 lbs of lead. So if you're thinking that you have a gold mine of lead sitting around, just sell the batteries and buy your lead. But that was never the point of this experiment, the purpose of it is to see what is in the alloy, stay tuned. Should have answers next week.

Boolit Buddy
    And nothing about what we are doing is safe. Lead is hazardous.

Melting down hundreds of pounds of wheel weights gives me a headache, not to mention the paint of xray room lead, that is by far the worst.

Just try to mitigate the dangers and you will be fine.

Boolit Buddy

I have already tried this and its not worth the time , no matter how you do it
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Buddy
    Some pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170225_151001.jpg   20170225_161159.jpg   20170225_161147.jpg  

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast