RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Savage 340 .222

Banned

Savage 340 .222

Looked at one that showed up in a local shop today that was the cleanest 340 I have seen since they stopped making them. Darn thing looked new and had a Weaver K4 mounted on it.

I have to admit to being an admirer of these little rifles. I have one in .222, it's been restocked at some point and has what I think is a slightly heavier barrel than most of them did. Debating whether I need another one or not.

Boolit Master
    As the owner of one and the fool who let another one go, I say buy it. I have yet to see one of those ugly rifles that won't shoot clover leafs.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

My 340 in 22 Hornet is one of my most accurate/favorite rifles. I lucked out buying it... grandkid was selling grandad's "deer rifle" lol... the shop owner looked at him like he had 3 heads. I winked and nodded at the rifle on the counter so the shop owner knew I was interested in it. He took it in trade and I bought it not even 60 seconds after that. It shoots circles around my 34D and my CZ 527 American both also in 22 Hornet.
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Banned

My Stevens 322 (same rifle) in .22 Hornet shoots very well with the loads I have shot in it, but they are all rimfire equivalent cast loads. Been thinking lately about giving some jacketed bullets a try (I know, I know) just to see what the rifle is capable of at 100 yards.

My .222 could use a better trigger, but still shoots pretty fast cast loads accurate enough for most hunting. I might have to go trade something for that .222, couldn't believe how pristine it is. Even the bore was clean as a whistle and it looked like it might have been glass bedded, but they did a very good job if it is. Seems to have been owned by someone who knew his stuff.

Boolit Master
    My Dads favorite woodchuck rifle was his old 340 in 222. Wonderful memories growing up. I acquired one with a buggered up barrel a few years back. Someone tried to rechamber it as a 223, and they succeeded in ruining the barrel.

Finally got figured out what to do with it,and dropped it and a take off 243 barrel to my smith. Gonna make me a 6mm-223... We'll see how the old gal responds.

Banned
    i had a m340 that was in 222. i got it years ago for $100. i think that it got a new stock(curly maple) and it definitly needed a new scope. i took it home and then i disassembled it. "what a piece of junk" i said. i about put it in the closet, but i didn't. i put on a new scope and i bought dies. a few weeks go by and i said i might as well take the 222 out. after i shot it 5x's(100 yards) i go up to the target. i can't believe it! i shot a 1/4" at 100 yards!!!! no, i must have made a mistake. i put up a new target and then i preceed to shoot it again. after 5x's i go up to the target and it does another 1/4" at 100 yards!!! i loved that gun! i don't know how many rounds the m340 did before it came to me, but i did 50gr hornadys, speer, seirra... thru it no more than 8000 times. then it began to lose accuracy. i did shoot it another 1500+/- times but finally it had to go. the barrel was just shot out. there are some shots that i can't believe i did. i should have found another to rebarrel it to 222.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I like the 1 I load for a lot ! I liked it so much I snagged a 325 in 30-30 .
    I just went out and shot the 222 . The NOE 225-55 @ 62gr runs 2670 and an inch , I don't shoot cloverleafs . It sure is fun to pop rocks on demand .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Richhodge last year I found a 325 just like your 340. Pawnbroker buddy new I would be interested. And I was. Got it for decent price besides.

Banned

They're asking $299.99 for this one, but it's been there a month. Normally that would be high for a 340 but this one is nice and that Weaver K4 is a good scope. I may have to gather up something I'm not shooting much and do some trading bargaining.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    I like the 1 I load for a lot ! I liked it so much I snagged a 325 in 30-30 .
    I just went out and shot the 222 . The NOE 225-55 @ 62gr runs 2670 and an inch , I don't shoot cloverleafs . It sure is fun to pop rocks on demand .
    May I ask what powder you are shooting with it?
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    H322 . 19.0
    Hornady copper checks .
    75-25 WW-1/20 WC .
    Winchester Brass .
    CCI SM rifle standard .
    24" bbl .

Lee data says that is full jacketed speeds at lighter charges .
    My 2nd Chrony has checked same loads against readings from the 1st Chrony . They are consistently 200 fps faster than data with 30 cal but very close to data with pistols and 35+ cal . So take it for face value .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Looked at one that showed up in a local shop today that was the cleanest 340 I have seen since they stopped making them. Darn thing looked new and had a Weaver K4 mounted on it.

I have to admit to being an admirer of these little rifles. I have one in .222, it's been restocked at some point and has what I think is a slightly heavier barrel than most of them did. Debating whether I need another one or not.
    I had one of those back in the early 70's. Excellent shooter. It was the first rifle I hand loaded for. I use a Lee whackamole setup and it worked fine. That started most of my bad habits.

Boolit Buddy

that is one of the first 222 that I ever bought , great little guns
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Master
    I had one in 222, but sold it when I was younger cause I was told it is to small for deer hunting. Wish I had it back, cause it shot pretty well. I now have a 722 Rem in 222, that is a dream to shoot, I've yet to shoot cast in it, but the 52 A-max does very good.

Banned

The 722 in .222 is, of course, legendary. A family friend when I was growing up was a farmer and only hunted with one rifle, a 722 in .222. He had other guns, but they were toys to him, the 722 did the heavy lifting. He was a phenomenal field shot with a rifle and killed a lot of deer with it every year (the season in low country S.C. is very long), was strictly a meat hunter and had lots of opportunities so only took perfect shots at the base of the skull. In the right hands, that 722 is a deadly tool.

Boolit Master

I passed up a 340 in .222 and am kicking myself that I did so. Though about it over-night and went back the next day to buy it and of course it was sold.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Buddy
    About 3-4 years ago I decided a needed a .222. I couldn't afford the asking prices on the 788's & 700's I located. One day I stopped by a shop about 40 miles from home. They had a Savage 340 with an old Japanese made Tasco 4X. After a bit of haggling was able to pick it up for $199. About two months later I was at a gun show and located a Savage 110 with a wood stock in .222. No haggling on that one. I happily brought it home for $300.

Isaac

The later ones were kinda pretty. I wanted one of the rare .225 Win. ones. I did own a Hornet and a 30-30 but they were sold to pay bills or something stupid. Good guns! Best, Thomas.