Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: pedersoli Trapdoor??

Boolit Grand Master

pedersoli Trapdoor??

Anyone have one and how does it shoot? LGS has one thats in pretty good shape and has a trigger than many guns would be jealous of.

Boolit Master

Years ago I handled and fired the carbine version. I thought that it was a pretty solid effort and a step above my H&R replica, but a step below my originals.

All in all, I don't think that you'll go wrong with one if it's in good condition and the price is right.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    United States trapdoors are One of The Nicest rifles ever made. Why buy a Fake when there are Plenty Of original around.. Repro's are Just another rifle.
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Man
    Ditto salpal 48, I've owned 2 repro's, yawn...nothing wrong with them, but they are just another gun. My Springfield Cadet with the wonderful 1884 sight, does as well or better on paper, and then there is always the possibility that mine was issued to Eisenhower or Patton or McArthur at West Point. Or not.

In Remembrance

There are certain advantages and down-sides to a Pedersoli Trapdoor rifle. One advantage is the standard .457 groove diameter.Another is the modern steel they are made from. Unfortunately, their breech-block locking mechanism is not always as strong as the original. They usually end up costing just about the same as an original rifle, but may be much safer shooting with smokeless powder loads.

Boolit Master
    You Right. a Repro Is all that it is . I have 27 Trapdoors . all shootable and do shoot Them.. Why spend the money on a Repro?
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Another thing to think about is the Pedersoli's throat and rifling form are nowhere near as good as the originals for shooting cast bullets with black powder.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by curator View Post
    There are certain advantages and down-sides to a Pedersoli Trapdoor rifle. One advantage is the standard .457 groove diameter.Another is the modern steel they are made from. Unfortunately, their breech-block locking mechanism is not always as strong as the original. They usually end up costing just about the same as an original rifle, but may be much safer shooting with smokeless powder loads.
    I am aware of the issues with the H&R's but I read the Pedersoli Trapdoor rifle had rectified them. I have 7 or 8 originals and 2 H&R's repro's and a couple of rebarreled originals but I have never shot a Pedersoli. What specifically are the issues with the Pedersoli's?

Boolit Buddy
    i have the Saddle Ring Carbine rifle, it is my favorite 45-70 to shoot and hunt with. I shoot the Lyman 457124 385 gr bullet with 26.0 grs of AA 5744 powder. It is very powerful and slays deer and hogs nicely. Love it. JimP.

Quote Originally Posted by flintlocke View Post
    Ditto salpal 48, I've owned 2 repro's, yawn...nothing wrong with them, but they are just another gun. My Springfield Cadet with the wonderful 1884 sight, does as well or better on paper, and then there is always the possibility that mine was issued to Eisenhower or Patton or McArthur at West Point. Or not.

I laughed out loud reading that.

Boolit Bub
    I have a Pedersoli Officers Model. Very nice rifle. Accurate. Pedersoli has a pretty obscure and hard to find pressure rating listing on their cartridge rifles. It rates their trapdoor pretty significantly above standard trapdoor ratings. I however just stick with black powder load levels. They do anything I need done.
    It ain't bent, Ned

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmanz View Post
    I have a Pedersoli Officers Model. Very nice rifle. Accurate. Pedersoli has a pretty obscure and hard to find pressure rating listing on their cartridge rifles. It rates their trapdoor pretty significantly above standard trapdoor ratings. I however just stick with black powder load levels. They do anything I need done.
    Where could I find that info? Thanks

Boolit Master

For the price I will buy a VERY Nice original thank you!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    You Right. a Repro Is all that it is . I have 27 Trapdoors . all shootable and do shoot Them.. Why spend the money on a Repro?
    cuz too many are sewer pipes that cost too much.Dont be a snob