Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Colt Dragoon Advice Needed

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

Colt Dragoon Advice Needed

I recently came in to possession of this Colt 3rd Mod Dragoon. Before I bought it, I studied the 20 pictures and researched Colt Dragoons on the internet. From what I found I was willing to purchase it with no guarantee it was original. The numbers and markings are all in the correct place, the bore is left hand gain twist, unlike any modern copies or even 2nd Gen Colts.

Here's the rub. I've showed it to several local "experts" and got mixed opinions. Two said it was a very well done copy, two said it was original, two said they weren't experienced with the dragoons to tell for sure and one said it was a copy using some original parts. Apparently the lettering is too crisp to be 135 years old.

My question, Where do I go or what can I do to get an official decision one way or the other? I'd really like to know.Attachment 187401Attachment 187402Attachment 187403Attachment 187404
    Fact: Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

Boolit Master
    The gain twist is a pretty good indicator. I've seen older Colts in far better condition, going for six figures at auction, and so the mere fact that it's as good as it is doesn't tell you anything all on its own.

My first thought would be to contact the major auction sites and see if they can point you to the right person for verification. They deal with this kind of stull regularly, and would know of some really well-done fakes, etc. Still and all, with the right amount of motivation (such as a potential six figfure selling price) there's nothing that can't be faked really well by someone who knows the original guns inside and out.

If I may ask; what did you pay for it?

Boolit Mold
    Yes, gain twist would mean it would be a very careful fake. James D. Julia Auction House in Maine might have a resource you could contact about it. They have had a good number of old revolvers sell over the years.

In Remembrance

My question, Where do I go or what can I do to get an official decision one way or the other? I'd really like to know.Attachment 187401Attachment 187402Attachment 187403Attachment 187404

Try the Colt Collectors website: http://coltcollectors.com

"The Colt Third Model Dragoon Revolver was manufactured from circa 1851 through to 1861. A total of about 10,500 were produced in this period in a serial range from about 10701 through to about 19600. Some early models overlapped with the Second Model. Serial numbers are found on all major parts."

Some museum curators claim that screw size/thread pitch is a good indicator of original vs copy. Yours appears to have a different "patina" on the frame which I would suspect is not mated to the barrel and cylinder. The grip frame looks correct but your pictures do not show enough detail. How does your serial number range fit the above information?

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

SN 120XX comes up on Colt SN list as made in 1852.
    Fact: Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.