RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: New front sight finally

Boolit Master

New front sight finally

I have two knight MK85's. I set my son's up with a set of Williams FP peep sights and a Lyman 17AHB globe front sight with Lee Shavers inserts. I did that quite a while ago. Since I have one too I made all the parts for mine at the same time I did my son's rifle. The 17 AHB is a lot taller than the factory sight so I built a spacer for the rear. Then I added a cheek rest since the sights were higher. I had to get longer base screws and shorten them a bit. My son shoots his out to 250 yards a lot. I am planning to sight mine out a little farther. All there is left to do is sight in.

I got this rifle for a very specific hunt here in Idaho. We have short range hunts that are on the river. It takes a boat in most cases to hunt this hunt. I didn't want to risk one of my Hot Rod's on a inflatable pontoon so I got this rifle just in case.

Banned

Nice looking gun!

Boolit Master
    Nice rifle, years ago a friend give me one that came from a pawnshop. Whoever shot it last never cleaned it, and the bore was trashed. I cleaned it up, and tried to salvage it, but it was a hopeless affair, so I gifted it to someone else! Now I wish I had it back, cause I could have had it rebored.

Perma-Banned
    That's a nice looking rifle for an outline, i mean inline! LOL, Looks darn good Ron! Think it will outshoot the old 'Hotrod'?

Boolit Master
    Not a chance

Perm-Banned
    thanks for the post

Boolit Master
    We all love Ron, but not those inlines no. I have a Gibbs that will out shoot those things. Little heavy though. (Wink)

Fly

Boolit Master
    These were put together for a hunt that has a significant risk of potentially loosing the rifle. These can be replaced. The hot rods can't.

Perma-Banned
    I found one of these online the other day in 54 Cal, it was stainless with a grey colored laminate stock, it had a scope of some sorts on it, didnt say what it was but im thinking a cheapy? They were asking 375 for it, I thought that was to high or i might have bought it. Ron, how do you tell the differences in the MK-85s? Years, what to look for, which is more desirable, value, etc.?

Boolit Master
    I don't have the differences memorized like a lot of guy. All I know is the super low numbers were made by another company. I am not sure when but Green Mountain started producing them. The older ones have a set screw that locks the hammer assembly into the receiver. In this picture you can see the Green Mountain logo on the right side.

In this picture you can see a small allen screw at the back end of the action where the hammer assembly screws into the back end. This is an older gun.

In this picture the rifle does not have the set screw. They switched to a o-ring that locked the hammer in place.

I know the most valuable ones were 1-20 twist 45 cal. I got one of mine new in box for around 200. The older one I got used and I think it was 250. If a guy looks he can get a good deal on them. The thing I don't like about them is they are by far harder to clean than the Hot Rod barrels are.