Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Gould 458/330 HP

Boolit Bub

Gould 458/330 HP

Ok bullet gurus, Do any of you know if there is a GC version being made by anyone that is close to this? The Lyman # is 457122 but it's plane base. Maybe we can do group buy on something near it. Thanks!

Boolit Master

The 122 is one neat design, the first I cast for 45-70. I long have wanted what you seek. My older mould has a bevel base, so is not accepting of a size-on gas check.

You might consider NOE's 460-315-RF, in the RG hollow point style. It's a few percent lighter in weight, but otherwise looks much like a 457122 with a gas check.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...n65k01mb12ac27

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the response. That NOE is close. What would it take to get MiHec to do a run or a group buy on something like this? I can see a market for this bullet.

Boolit Bub
    OK, I did some searching and found what i was looking for! It's not a HP but i can handle that part. NEI 458-333-cg is the part # for it.

How fast do you want to push the bullet. This Gould HP does just fine at 45-70 Express (1.5 K fps) velocities as that is what it was designed for.

This was a very popular bullet in the 45-70 and I killed several deer with it back in the early 60's. It is an effective killer although it will cause some blood shot meat around the holes.

We use to seat a back check upside down in the case. Put a little glue on the bullet base and seat the bullet and check on down to the correct depth. Although the glue probably wasn't necessary, it was nice to know the check would not go down into the powder. The skirt of the check expanded to fill the grooves of the barrel forming an effective gas seal.

If you are using some slow stick powder some shotshell buffer on top of the powder would do the same thing. You want enough to compress the powder column a smidge.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by greenhornet-1 View Post
    OK, I did some searching and found what i was looking for! It's not a HP but i can handle that part. NEI 458-333-cg is the part # for it.
    You can forget NEI - since Walt died they don't do a good job and I'm not sure they are still open.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    How fast do you want to push the bullet. This Gould HP does just fine at 45-70 Express (1.5 K fps) velocities as that is what it was designed for.

This was a very popular bullet in the 45-70 and I killed several deer with it back in the early 60's. It is an effective killer although it will cause some blood shot meat around the holes.

We use to seat a back check upside down in the case. Put a little glue on the bullet base and seat the bullet and check on down to the correct depth. Although the glue probably wasn't necessary, it was nice to know the check would not go down into the powder. The skirt of the check expanded to fill the grooves of the barrel forming an effective gas seal.

If you are using some slow stick powder some shotshell buffer on top of the powder would do the same thing. You want enough to compress the powder column a smidge.
    I plan on PCing and using it in my 458 Socom, also my 458 WM. I'm not sure about not using a GC. Your thoughts?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    You can forget NEI - since Walt died they don't do a good job and I'm not sure they are still open.
    Thanks for the info Wayne. I didn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by greenhornet-1 View Post
    I plan on PCing and using it in my 458 Socom, also my 458 WM. I'm not sure about not using a GC. Your thoughts?
    I know nothing about power coating, so you will have to look elsewhere for advise.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

Accurate will make you what you want except he doesn't do HP. He will make the mould the way you want to cast the size you want and with or without GC shank but you'll have to get someone else to make the HP pin. If solid works for you then no problem. Tom does excellent work and fast turnaround.

Longbow

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the info longbow. I was just getting ready to do a search for custom molds.

Boolit Master

I would try a Plain base gas check if you have the mold allready

Boolit Grand Master

Dan at Mountain Molds has a boolit design program - you design the boolit and he makes the mold. That is another option if you want to play with the design. Once again, I haven't looked but I don't think he offers an HP option.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Vendor Sponsor

If powdercoating the base you should be fine up to approx. 1900 FPS
    Plain base or GC version
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Accurate will make you what you want except he doesn't do HP. He will make the mould the way you want to cast the size you want and with or without GC shank but you'll have to get someone else to make the HP pin. If solid works for you then no problem. Tom does excellent work and fast turnaround.

Longbow
    I would likely get a round nose mold and hollow point them on my mill.
    Thanks guys!

You could always go over to NOE forum and start a thread and see if you could get it to go.

Boolit Grand Master

When I used to have my 1895 Marlin in .45-70 I ran all PB boolits and never had trouble with leading even at top end Marlin loads. The boolit I shot most was the Lyman 457124 385 gr. which is somewhat heavier than the Gould you are looking at but not that much.

Never got any leading at all with the PB design in the Marlin but did near the muzzle in my Siamese Mauser using, again top end loads for Ruger #1 and Siamese Mauser, and since I had PB moulds, I added a .410 fiber wad and that solved the minor leading I was getting with the Siamese Mauser.

There are also wax wads and as mentioned above a standard gas check backwards under the PB boolit.

I think you'll be fine with PB but if you want a gas check design Accurate will do it quick. Way quicker than a group buy.

Longbow

Boolit Mold
    http://arsenalmolds.com/products?product_id=62 - Arsenal will do a GC if you need it